Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Big problem, took the XTZ out for a long ride, longest since we've bought it used 2 weeks ago. Must have been on a hour long cruise, never really reaching much more than 45mph but pretty much a steady 25-30mph. When I pulled into the garage to park it, I turned the key off to kill the ignition and the starter would try and crank, turn the key back on, engine would fire up without turning the key to start. While letting the machine run to try and figure out if I had a pinched wire or something, It immediately flashed the speedo needle and the engine coolant sign came up flashing. It hadnt even been idling for 2minutes.

SO:
(1) any ideas why the starter would be suddenly acting up like that, no issues thus far and have pretty much had it running every day over the last 12 days

(2) why is it over heating so easily, coolant level is good, radiator is clean of debris and I do hear the fan kick in.

Thanks for the help!
Bauer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OH, ended up pulling the hot wire off the batt. and this cleared it, When I make contact again now, it will not try and crank, just primes the fuel pressure like normal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AND, with the shift lever in high, foot off the brake, the starter still wanted to crank, but obviously would not start, I pushed in the brake to activate the relay, and it fired right up.

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Sounds like the starter relay is fused closed, with the battery terminal removed see if you have continuity across the main poles. If you do the relay is cooked and needs replaced. Check for air in the cooling system, on mine there is a hose clamp near the thermostat housing that I loosened to release trapped air. AS soon as I loosened the clamp, the coolant level in the radiator dropped, tightened the clamp, and refilled the coolant to proper level, and no more problem. Hope this helps....................RD

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Hey,
Big problem, took the XTZ out for a long ride, longest since we've bought it used 2 weeks ago. Must have been on a hour long cruise, never really reaching much more than 45mph but pretty much a steady 25-30mph. When I pulled into the garage to park it, I turned the key off to kill the ignition and the starter would try and crank, turn the key back on, engine would fire up without turning the key to start. While letting the machine run to try and figure out if I had a pinched wire or something, It immediately flashed the speedo needle and the engine coolant sign came up flashing. It hadnt even been idling for 2minutes.

SO:
(1) any ideas why the starter would be suddenly acting up like that, no issues thus far and have pretty much had it running every day over the last 12 days

(2) why is it over heating so easily, coolant level is good, radiator is clean of debris and I do hear the fan kick in.

Thanks for the help!
Bauer
Was your fan running when your temp Icon came on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Fairmont, funny you should mention that, tried it this afternoon, it did burp and pulled all of the coolant out of the resivoir. Topped the radiator off, and the coolant tank to the set level. Started it up, so far so good. Near as I can tell, previous owner never added any coolant. Seems to be fine now.

Now it seems like at idle, it will sit and run for 3-5 minutes, kick the fan on for a minute and go back to off again. This sound normal, or do I maybe have a sticking thermostat?

Ill try the starter relay tomorrow. Where abouts from the solenoid is the relay located?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Fairmont, funny you should mention that, tried it this afternoon, it did burp and pulled all of the coolant out of the resivoir. Topped the radiator off, and the coolant tank to the set level. Started it up, so far so good. Near as I can tell, previous owner never added any coolant. Seems to be fine now.

Now it seems like at idle, it will sit and run for 3-5 minutes, kick the fan on for a minute and go back to off again. This sound normal, or do I maybe have a sticking thermostat?

Ill try the starter relay tomorrow. Where abouts from the solenoid is the relay located?

:confused:
Sounds like your fan is working like it should.Like RD said must had air in the system.

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
If your machine is like mine then the relay is under the driver's seat.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I'm not where my manual is so no help here .. there are on-line manuals available and links have been posted in the past .. so a search and u will find a link to a downloadable manual.

never had an issue on mine with heat / radiator / temps . I have well over 5000 miles on it now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts