Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2006 Prowler back together today.

It's running really hot (the header pipe is not glowing) and it is idling really high and the adjustment screw doesn't have any effect.

Here are the details on the engine:

1. I used the Speedwerx 700 cc overbore kit and new piston on it.
2. I have the stock exhaust and a Benz silent rider after the muffler
3. I have the stock pilot jet and a 155 main jet that I installed
4. I have a cold air intake that I made:

And recommendations on the jetting? Do I need to step up both the main jet and pilot jet? Where can you get pilot jets?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
BTW - that air intake makes it LOUD
Austin,you need to go up on your pilot jet,it's running too lean that's why your idle wont control anything.your pilot jets works from idle to off idle,and then your main jet come in.should be able to get jets at your local dealership.I have the speedwerx intake like that ,I had to take it off to loud,

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
DE3 knows carburators! I'd follow his recommendations on jetting. Now if it was a Holley double pumper...............................RD

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Do you think the main jet is about right at 155?

What size pilot jets should I try?
do you have the stock carb or the mikuni.you have to make all you adjustments with the motor up to temp,if your motor will take all the gas at full throtle the main is not to big,and and if it dosen't back fire when letting off gas after running it hard your main should be fine.when I first started tuning mine my pilot was to small and it idled to fast,and the idle adjustment wouldn't even idle it down.you also have air/fuel adjustment screw it should be around 1 1/2 to 2 turns out.like I said all major adjustments needs to be made with motor at operating temp,a cold motor will handle a big jet, once it warms up it wont take the fuel right it will be sluggish.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have the the factory carb. No problems at full throttle and it doesn't backfire when letting off. It only backfires (just a slight pop) when i turn off the engine.

I'm not familiar with the air/fuel adjustment screw? Is that what is referred to as the "pilot screw" in the service manual?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I have the the factory carb. No problems at full throttle and it doesn't backfire when letting off. It only backfires (just a slight pop) when i turn off the engine.

I'm not familiar with the air/fuel adjustment screw? Is that what is referred to as the "pilot screw" in the service manual?
Austin it could very well be your electric choke sticking,stock jetting on your carb is 132 main and 40 on your pilot jet,with the big bore kit I would stay with the 155,when I had the stock carb I run a 152 and that was stock bore,with that high flow intake you want to jump up on your pilot jet because you are sucking a lot of air now you can get your cvk jets at you A/C shop or from speedwerx's your air fuel screw is on the back of carb towards the cylinder turning the screw counter clock wise richens it clock wise leans it out.If the choke is not sticking you need a bigger pilot jet,I would start at a 42 and go up to a 55.in between that range you will find the sweet spot.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Austin,If your head pipe is not glowing your not to lean,you need to take your choke out and clean it,if it is sticking you can not control the idle,I had the same thing happen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

The electric fan is kicking on more often than it normally does after I drive it.

I've never had the electric choke stick before. It was working fine before I disassembled. Any idea what causes it to stick? Is it only from being gunked up? I guess I could disconnect it after the engine is warmed up and see if it still does it, that would say it's dirty.

Tomorrow I'll check the check the choke. I also plan to put the air intake back on and see how that affects things. You are right, that damn is noisy with the free flow one I built.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks!

The electric fan is kicking on more often than it normally does after I drive it.

I've never had the electric choke stick before. It was working fine before I disassembled. Any idea what causes it to stick? Is it only from being gunked up? I guess I could disconnect it after the engine is warmed up and see if it still does it, that would say it's dirty.

Tomorrow I'll check the check the choke. I also plan to put the air intake back on and see how that affects things. You are right, that damn is noisy with the free flow one I built.
gummed up or just quit working,I had to buy two of them at 140 a choke.thats how mine was fine one day screwed up the next,and it made it idle fast and I couldn't even adjust the Idle down.I dont know if unplugging it will help or not,it only has like 4 ohms going to it,I tried unplugging mine and it never helped.on the intake I bought from speedwerx it had a warning label in the instructions saying how loud it would be,if your in the woods all the time it sounds good,but out on the gravel or hard top.way to loud.:eek:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK - here's what happened today:

1. I started the engine. When cold, the idle adjuster worked. However, when it warmed up later, it did not work.
2. I put the stock air intake back on. The other one was too noisy.

Here's what it does now:
1. Idle control doesn't work when warm, but it doesn't idle much faster than I normally have it set to, so it's not operating partial throttle. Much slower than yesterday. So I'm OK with the speed. I figure the stock intake reduced the air and slowed it down.
2. I can't operate the throttle full open without it sputtering. I assume it is getting to much fuel because I changed the air intake back? If so, I can try the 150 and 145 main jets (I have 155 in there right now).

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
OK - here's what happened today:

1. I started the engine. When cold, the idle adjuster worked. However, when it warmed up later, it did not work.
2. I put the stock air intake back on. The other one was too noisy.

Here's what it does now:
1. Idle control doesn't work when warm, but it doesn't idle much faster than I normally have it set to, so it's not operating partial throttle. Much slower than yesterday. So I'm OK with the speed. I figure the stock intake reduced the air and slowed it down.
2. I can't operate the throttle full open without it sputtering. I assume it is getting to much fuel because I changed the air intake back? If so, I can try the 150 and 145 main jets (I have 155 in there right now).

What do you think?
I run a 152 and it was perfect,when I went to a 155 it did the same thing wouldn't take all the fuel at full throttle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK. Finally done. 42 jet worked perfect for idle.

I'd started with the 155 main jet with the stock intake and went to 152, 148, and finally 145 before it would take full throttle. Actually, it might could even could a bit lower, but I don't have any more jets.

i'm at 840 ft now, taking it back to the ranch at 2,000 ft. I will see if there is any difference there.

Runs well, but doesn't seem to have the top end it had before. (my speedo is broken). I will have it on the highway next weekend and will see if it can still top out at 50-55. I normally drive it MUCH slower than this.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
OK. Finally done. 42 jet worked perfect for idle.

I'd started with the 155 main jet with the stock intake and went to 152, 148, and finally 145 before it would take full throttle. Actually, it might could even could a bit lower, but I don't have any more jets.

i'm at 840 ft now, taking it back to the ranch at 2,000 ft. I will see if there is any difference there.

Runs well, but doesn't seem to have the top end it had before. (my speedo is broken). I will have it on the highway next weekend and will see if it can still top out at 50-55. I normally drive it MUCH slower than this.
When I went to a 152 I had a modified stock air box,and different exhaust.stock is 132 main,If you think you need to go smaller at 840 ft you will be way to tall on your main jet at 2000 ft.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts