Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 2 HID lights from Checker, the black & red 4" lights. I installed them tonight with the wire harness that was provided, one light stays dimmer than the other& when I rev up the motor they flicker & shut off. If I shut the switch off & turn it back on, the lights come right back on. Do I need to install another battery? What do u guys think? I know alot of people have these lights so hopefully u guys can give me an idea of what to do:confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I will try that. I did notice tonight when I was checking voltage that it drops to low to keep HIDs on, a relay should take care of that. THANKS AGAIN!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, is there a certain type of relay i should be looking for & were is the best place to get it? I live out of town so its a pain when i get home without the right stuff & have to wait until the next day when i drive into work to get it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did u pick those up at ? It also sounds like u installed 1 for each light. I did google HID relay wiring, that was a big help but it looks like some guys were installing 1 relay per set of lights. What worked best for u ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got mine from a Bumper to Bumper store, any automotive shop will work. I installed 1 relay per set of lights. So for mine, I have 1 relay for HIGH beam, and 1 for LOW beam. Use a 12 AWG wire for the main wire to #30 from the battery to the relay with a 30AMP fuse, and the rest of the wire 12-14AWG. Happy Lighting!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, I will get the relays today & get it done to try out on the weekend.

Shopping list:
12-14AWG wire
Pack of 30 AMP fuses
2 relays
30 PACK Coors Light

·
Registered
105 Posts
Coors lite is good but to fix your lights you need to run a ground strap to the frame from the battery 12 gage wire will work no need for relays

its the simple things that can drive us nuts i've experienced this frustration my self

·
Registered
174 Posts
do what you want. I am an electrician and doing a job twice and half assed sucks. You need a relay for HID to work correctly. They need 23,000V to start up, hence the ballast, so in turn they have a huge AMP draw. If you don't install relay, the factory wiring could melt, mess up all your wiring harness, and your HID will flicker lots upon start-up and you will go through ballast every other month. But what do I know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I here you loud & clear, I wired battery ground & relays last night. Everything worked great so far. The battery ground did work without the relays, but just for the hell of it I had time to spare & Coors Light to drink so I went ahead & wired in the relays since I had them. Thanks again guys for all your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts