Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm removing my Hid headlights,and going to a 881 led light bulb,I noticed with the HID kit I have with the Ballast,they take too much power away from the cooling fan when it kicks on.................I just talked to brian on the phone and said he is removing his,he said he was riding last night and just had his HID head lights on and noticed his prowler was wanting to stall out and finally it did,he looked at his temp gauge and it was reading 220 degrees,he turned off his hid head lights and the prowler immediately started cooling down.I'm glad I only have 60 dollars in both H/L sets..............They are very bright but not worth the load it puts on the cooling fan a lesson learned......LED'S ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO...

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
At least you still have your led light bar, maybe you could use the HID kit for fog lights on your truck.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
I've only used my HID's a couple of times, still have the LEDS to put back in if I have any problem, but so far nothing has been effected when I use them. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've only used my HID's a couple of times, still have the LEDS to put back in if I have any problem, but so far nothing has been effected when I use them. Time will tell.
I noticed a few ago when I put the HID'S in they slowed the cooling fan down,brian said he was just going real slow when his started over heating,the fan wasn't running fast enough to cool,his is a 2013 model not sure if the stater is the same or not.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least you still have your led light bar, maybe you could use the HID kit for fog lights on your truck.
I have the factory driving lights on my truck,yea the LED light bar I have is bright also dont need the headlights with it on and it dont effect the cooling fan.I just looked on amazon and they have a big selection of LED 881 replacement bulbs,they even have 881 CREE LED bulbs for 30 a pair and you can get bulbs even cheaper than that.:)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered my cree 881 LED replacement bulbs for my headlights,they draw 11 watts and 6000k superbrite white 30 dollars a pair. in the picture they look yellow but the description says white.:):)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Do you still have the stock bulbs to compare the brightness?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have those CREE LED 881 bulbs in mine. I am not impressed. At all. I am a huge proponent of LEDs in general, too. Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I don't think you're going to like them. They don't project very well at all. I played around with them a bit, and have them in my low beam setting now, with a brighter standard bulb in the high beam slot. I have a pair of 1350 lumen round LEDs that I'm going to mount to the brush guard. Those light up the night. At about $25 each, plus the cost of the switch, that's money well spent.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Going to stick with my HID setup, they are mounted high on the cage and project the light very well. I did not notice any drop in the cooling fan RPM due to low voltage. I pull 14.5 volts at idle, 14.3 with the lights on, and 12.5 with the lights, and cooling fan running. Alternator install will cure any concerns!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have those CREE LED 881 bulbs in mine. I am not impressed. At all. I am a huge proponent of LEDs in general, too. Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I don't think you're going to like them. They don't project very well at all. I played around with them a bit, and have them in my low beam setting now, with a brighter standard bulb in the high beam slot. I have a pair of 1350 lumen round LEDs that I'm going to mount to the brush guard. Those light up the night. At about $25 each, plus the cost of the switch, that's money well spent.
All well its worth a try,I wish I could have got you thoughts before I ordered...LOL not real worried about the lights I have a 72 watt 5600 lumen LED bar mounted on the front bumper my hid's in the headlights are very bright on my buggy but they pull to much power from my fan and that's on low beam............even if my new headlight aren't as bright as stock they will still pull less voltage.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going to stick with my HID setup, they are mounted high on the cage and project the light very well. I did not notice any drop in the cooling fan RPM due to low voltage. I pull 14.5 volts at idle, 14.3 with the lights on, and 12.5 with the lights, and cooling fan running. Alternator install will cure any concerns!
RD I was wondering will you have to be going 10 to 15 mph before the alternator will start charging.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Not sure, it has a pretty small pulley 2"? I think having the two batteries eliminates low voltage problems. I can start the engine with one battery, and I can tell the difference in starting with both online.

·
Registered
518 Posts
All well its worth a try,I wish I could have got you thoughts before I ordered...LOL not real worried about the lights I have a 72 watt 5600 lumen LED bar mounted on the front bumper my hid's in the headlights are very bright on my buggy but they pull to much power from my fan and that's on low beam............even if my new headlight aren't as bright as stock they will still pull less voltage.
Sorry dude, wish I had seen your post earlier. You may like them. I was expecting quite a bit more. It is a white light, though.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I got my LED Vision X light bar yesterday its 30 watt and draws 1.2 amps and it is 3,100 lumens very nice light,it come with the plug and play harness with relay and switch,I tested it and its brighter than my 72 watt light bar and its 7,200 lumens.............thanks again Brandon owner of OCTANE TOY BOX............:):)

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
That should work! Is that is for your new quad?

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
I picked up an aluminum radiator, the top tank on mine split, anti-freeze all over the place! It let go about 50 feet from my driveway, sure went everywhere! Pulling it apart now, thought I'd replace the hoses while it is down. Want to move the return line around the alternator location. Working at the kid's house this week end, ran the waste lines last week, water lines this week. Moved the kitchen 20 feet to the North! All new electrical circuits, adding new breakers to the panel. Two more trips should do it, but he keeps adding stuff, I already told him No More Change Orders!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I picked up an aluminum radiator, the top tank on mine split, anti-freeze all over the place! It let go about 50 feet from my driveway, sure went everywhere! Pulling it apart now, thought I'd replace the hoses while it is down. Want to move the return line around the alternator location. Working at the kid's house this week end, ran the waste lines last week, water lines this week. Moved the kitchen 20 feet to the North! All new electrical circuits, adding new breakers to the panel. Two more trips should do it, but he keeps adding stuff, I already told him No More Change Orders!
Where did you find a alum radiator at.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
On Ebay, should have grabbed that one that was on here a while back! May switch out the oil cooler at the same time, I have a B&M cooler sitting on my shelf! Damn plastic tank! Let loose at the seam. Not worth trying to repair.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts