Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many miles you can put on a prowler without have to do any major work. i.e. Engine/Transmission

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use wet clutch 4 stroke full synthetic oil, Arctic Cat oil filters, synthetic gear lube, and clean the air filter before every run using the stock airfilter cleaned in K&N cleaner and spray lube.
I ride mostly in the desert. Alot of gravel/dirt roads heading to two track 4X4 trails (usually rocky) and some sand. We like to explore old mining towns/camps and put alot of miles exploring the east and west coasts of Baja.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm using shell rotella 15-40,same stuff that I use in my truck.
I also use the cheapest filter I can find and change them them both all the time.I ride desert here in southern cal,and run it hard.
Hoping it stays together till my Wildcat gets here.

Papa v

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I use wet clutch 4 stroke full synthetic oil, Arctic Cat oil filters, synthetic gear lube, and clean the air filter before every run using the stock airfilter cleaned in K&N cleaner and spray lube.
I ride mostly in the desert. Alot of gravel/dirt roads heading to two track 4X4 trails (usually rocky) and some sand. We like to explore old mining towns/camps and put alot of miles exploring the east and west coasts of Baja.
What type oil what manufacture weight and ect...

I'm using shell rotella 15-40,same stuff that I use in my truck.
I also use the cheapest filter I can find and change them them both all the time.I ride desert here in southern cal,and run it hard.
Hoping it stays together till my Wildcat gets here.

Papa v
Are you using the conventional or the T-6 synthetic.. Sorry I see you must be using conventional as the syn. is a 5-40.
I use the rotella t-6 in my trucks was thinking about switching my cat to it as well.

Thanks for the reply's.;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've got a 2006 650 and just finished doing the bevel gear upgrade at 2800 miles. Consider it abuse though, a son with a heavy heavy foot when the cat is in Park!!

Replaed the starting motor at about 2500 miles......it seemed to have thrown the solder on the armature.

Hoping that (like a real cat) it has 9 lives or more :)

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I kind of ? the wet clutch additive advise as there seems to be lots of machines running with out wet clutch oil atv and utv & you never hear of a wet clutch burning up or slipping.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
You bring up a good point you don't hear much going wrong if you don't use it. I just know from experience on heavy equipment ie cranes. If you use the wrong oil for a wet clutch system it may or will slip. So for me I play it safe and use AC oil. It only takes 2 qts and that's cheap insurance.
I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one Desertcat... like you said, it's only 2 quarts and it seems like a really good quality oil. I've come back from some long rides and it still looks like honey!! The engine was built and designed to run that oil so I tend to stick with it. Some of you guys know a lot more than me about this stuff but I tend to play it safe.. :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Right on Chris.. I always run the "dealer brand" oil in whatever I own.. I trust they have it figured out by now.. lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts