Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm out powered by the newer Polaris models, I'm talking the 900 Rangers & RZR's I've been riding with. The biggest problem I seem to have is hill climbs, whether it's mud or loose dirt I always seem to get to the top and spin out, just can't seem to get over the ridge. These are steep hills, thought I was going to roll backward today. I know I have heavy tires which isn't helping, they're about 35.5 pounds each. I do think that the weight distribution of where the engine sits makes a difference also. Any opinions?

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I've only encountered that on the sand dunes at Silver Lake, these things have to be at a 50/50 weight distribution. I run out of clutch at the dunes, but not worth changing as we only go 1-2 times a year. You could lower the clutch roller weights, but then everything else will suffer. Are you breaking the tires loose at the crest? That is where I have gotten stuck. Those are pretty heavy tires!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep breaking all the tires loose and spinning all 4.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looked up the specs, front tires are 30 lbs and the rear are 36.2 lbs according to Sedona's website.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
believe it or not the tire weight isn't the issue if all four are breaking loose .. it would be if they weren't breaking loose

example .. heavy farm tractors with very low gearing have to add water to fill the tires and many times wheel weights to add weight so they don't break loose ..

your unloading the weight when your spinning out usually ..

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
believe it or not the tire weight isn't the issue if all four are breaking loose .. it would be if they weren't breaking loose

example .. heavy farm tractors with very low gearing have to add water to fill the tires and many times wheel weights to add weight so they don't break loose ..

My thought on the weight is I only have about two buggy lengths or less before I hit the hill. Lighter weight might get me a better shot out of the hole and a little more speed when I start going up. Power really doesn't seem to be the problem since it's turning all four but the RZR 900 could hit the gas and fly up the hill, I just can't get enough momentum going with my little 650.

The hill we were on yesterday is all fill dirt with sand and lots of leaves mixed in. It's a place where the city street sweepers dump their loads, a lot of soft loose fill.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Yup, same as mine! I almost think we are getting too much traction for the available power, and that kills any momentum.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I think that's where the rear mounted engine may have the advantage, weight transferred to the rear wheels for traction and the front end is lighter so it pushes it up. Does that make sense?:confused:

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
wheel base length one to the other ?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Weight transfer makes a lot of sense!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you rent the Wildcat you'll have to try a hill climb and see the difference from the Prowler. Looks like a similar setup to the RZR.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Should be fun, and we plan on staying a couple of days. Taking the Prowler too!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I know I'm out powered by the newer Polaris models, I'm talking the 900 Rangers & RZR's I've been riding with. The biggest problem I seem to have is hill climbs, whether it's mud or loose dirt I always seem to get to the top and spin out, just can't seem to get over the ridge. These are steep hills, thought I was going to roll backward today. I know I have heavy tires which isn't helping, they're about 35.5 pounds each. I do think that the weight distribution of where the engine sits makes a difference also. Any opinions?
sounds like you have plenty of power to spin the tires,maybe try another brand of tires,what kind are your buddys using.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sounds like you have plenty of power to spin the tires,maybe try another brand of tires,what kind are your buddys using.
The two new RZR's are running 27" Dirt Commanders
GBC Motorsports

·
Registered
404 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid to drop a few lbs of air in the rear tires either, just for the added foot print.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn't be afraid to drop a few lbs of air in the rear tires either, just for the added foot print.
I run about 8-9 in them, maybe I'll drop them to 5 next time....hell these tires are stiff enough I could run them flat.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I dropped my bighorns down to 7psi at the sand dunes, it did help on take off from a dead start.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Buddy of mine was having issues climbing with his and swapped the front tires left to right reversing the tread pattern. He was digging holes with his front tires on the hills and bringing himself to a quick stop. Once he swapped the tires around that thing turned into a mountain goat and will crawl up some pretty gnarly slopes. With the tread pattern turned around it pulls dirt into the track instead of digging holes and believe it or not it made a huge difference. May be worth a few minuted time swapping tires left to right just to see what it does for you, you don't have anything to loose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts