Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on a hunt, I had a friend pull up behind me and tell me I was leaking oil. It was leaking bad. I turned off the engine (which sounded fine) and started looking around. I had a hole in my Crankcase about the size of a pencil. I have aluminum skid plates and no major dings below hole. after dropping skid plate and cleaning, looks like the hole came from the inside out. Took it to a new AC Dealership in Reno. They are trying to sell me a new engine for $2500, $3200 installed. They didn't even want to break down the Engine. I called Country Cat service dept. and a mechanic told me it could be the secondary gear in the tranny. Any help would be appreciated on me tearing it apart. Never worked on a 4 stroke. Dn loading service manual now.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
is there an A/C dealer in Reno now ??? that would be good news to my ears .. last I looked there wasn't one.

where is Country Cat located [streets] ?? I need one serviced.

I'll be home in a few days from long trip .. maybe I could get away to help a bit .. I'll need to winterize my 5er after we get home and put "stuff" away but I'd like to get my fingers in a prowler a bit too.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
How is the truck running? Heading to Reno?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
How is the truck running? Heading to Reno?
well seems to be good , but lil apprehensive about heading on down the road with a new tranny without many miles on it , went for about 25 mile run last night [no load] for a parts shake down , nothing fell off so today we'll give her hell LOL

yes to Reno / Sparks .. will do +/- 500 mile days so should be there Saturday. thank God for book on CD as I80 is a boring drive through farmland Neb. and high desert Wy. Utah and Nev.

I will leave crumbs just in case :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Freedom cycle on S. Virginia St. is now the AC dealer. They are owned by Yull Bros.
Country Cat is a dealership in MN. Dan in the service dept is a great resource for me.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
While on a hunt, I had a friend pull up behind me and tell me I was leaking oil. It was leaking bad. I turned off the engine (which sounded fine) and started looking around. I had a hole in my Crankcase about the size of a pencil. I have aluminum skid plates and no major dings below hole. after dropping skid plate and cleaning, looks like the hole came from the inside out. Took it to a new AC Dealership in Reno. They are trying to sell me a new engine for $2500, $3200 installed. They didn't even want to break down the Engine. I called Country Cat service dept. and a mechanic told me it could be the secondary gear in the tranny. Any help would be appreciated on me tearing it apart. Never worked on a 4 stroke. Dn loading service manual now.
How many miles on your prowler,thats not a bad price on a motor installed plus you will have all the up-dated parts,a lot of members on here say its not hard at all,its worth seeing what caused it.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Freedom cycle on S. Virginia St. is now the AC dealer. They are owned by Yull Bros.
Country Cat is a dealership in MN. Dan in the service dept is a great resource for me.

thanks !!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many miles on your prowler,thats not a bad price on a motor installed plus you will have all the up-dated parts,a lot of members on here say its not hard at all,its worth seeing what caused it.
I have 4500 miles on it. The engine was refreshed at about 2500. I almost got it out tonight. I'm down to the exhaust and cooling lines. Any ideas on the rear drive line? It has the U joint by the case. Do I pull the engine with the drive line attached ? how does the U joint come apart ?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The engines actually aren't too hard to work on. The service manual is pretty good, and it is easy once you break it down into sections (take apart top end, left side, right side, center case). I can help you by posting pictures or trying to answer any questions you might have since I have basically rebuilt the engine in mine. You can look at my photo album to see the carnage caused by a broken bevel gear which is an issue these are known for.

As far as your issue, the problem to first look at is the hole in your case. A new set of crankcases from AC is a little over $1000. If you are lucky you can find a good used set like I did for a lot cheaper. Other option is finding somebody that can weld aluminum. Just hope that the hole is all you have and no cracks.

If you do go with the new engine, the $2500 isn't bad. But there is no way I would give them $700 to install it. You can save yourself the $700 and do it yourself as it is pretty dang easy. You might be out a few $$$ to rent an engine hoist (or just get a buddy and be out a few beers in payment). Although the engine hoist may save you from a back injury as it would be awkward to lift the motor up into position.

As far as the u-joint, you should be able to pop out the two c-clips and then press the u-joint out with a press tool. I got lucky and had a friend that has a ball joint press tool that I used. But you can rent them at Autozone/Oreillys and get all your money back once you return the item.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engines actually aren't too hard to work on. The service manual is pretty good, and it is easy once you break it down into sections (take apart top end, left side, right side, center case). I can help you by posting pictures or trying to answer any questions you might have since I have basically rebuilt the engine in mine. You can look at my photo album to see the carnage caused by a broken bevel gear which is an issue these are known for.

As far as your issue, the problem to first look at is the hole in your case. A new set of crankcases from AC is a little over $1000. If you are lucky you can find a good used set like I did for a lot cheaper. Other option is finding somebody that can weld aluminum. Just hope that the hole is all you have and no cracks.

If you do go with the new engine, the $2500 isn't bad. But there is no way I would give them $700 to install it. You can save yourself the $700 and do it yourself as it is pretty dang easy. You might be out a few $$$ to rent an engine hoist (or just get a buddy and be out a few beers in payment). Although the engine hoist may save you from a back injury as it would be awkward to lift the motor up into position.

As far as the u-joint, you should be able to pop out the two c-clips and then press the u-joint out with a press tool. I got lucky and had a friend that has a ball joint press tool that I used. But you can rent them at Autozone/Oreillys and get all your money back once you return the item.

Keep us updated.
Thanks Shane, I have the Engine out now. I found a Mech. to tear it apart and check it out. If the damage is $1500 or more, going to just put a new engine in. Now is a good time for new Brakes, Shocks, fuel pump etc...
I test drove a new 700. Very nice, just not into the 16k price tag. A lot of my 4wheeling is in 4 low over rocks. (Nevada) I really don't think a new one of any brand would be any better. I think 4 Low makes them equal. (even though I loved the power steering)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks Shane, I have the Engine out now. I found a Mech. to tear it apart and check it out. If the damage is $1500 or more, going to just put a new engine in. Now is a good time for new Brakes, Shocks, fuel pump etc...
I test drove a new 700. Very nice, just not into the 16k price tag. A lot of my 4wheeling is in 4 low over rocks. (Nevada) I really don't think a new one of any brand would be any better. I think 4 Low makes them equal. (even though I loved the power steering)
I'm really interested in what caused the hole,and yes power steering would be nice,i love it on my new Quad,never thought it would make a difference,till i rode it.................

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Really hard for me to think about a different machine. I tend to keep things forever! My 2003 KIA is a prime example! I just about have my Prowler as I want it, I would have to start all over on anything new, including a divorce!!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
As temping as new toys are I don't like the new price tag either. I usually drive or haul my stuff to the scrap yard when I'm done with them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the same case as the oil plug, about 6"back is the hole. I looked in in with a flashlight. It is a gear with a broken tooth. looks like something (broken tooth?) went between gear and crankcase. Hoping I can look in the case by going through clutch side. couldn't find my 1 7/16" socket. will get one today!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
One side of my center case is good. The other side is cracked. From my understanding the two cases are a paired set, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. Depending on which side is damaged on yours, maybe my good side would work for yours.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One side of my center case is good. The other side is cracked. From my understanding the two cases are a paired set, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. Depending on which side is damaged on yours, maybe my good side would work for yours.
that would be awesome! I will post a pic, now that I know how.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A bearing came apart on the Driveshaft in Tranny. The Ball Bearings went between the Gears and Casing, causing the hole. Also one was stuck in the casing internally. All the gears have been damaged too. About $1700 in parts, not including the welding of the cases . Makes more sense to buy new motor...

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
When you start talking that kind of money in parts, a new motor makes more sense in the long run! The parts (that you can save) do fetch decent money on ebay.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
You'll probably be back on the trail sooner with a new engine also, seems like repairs jobs can drag out and one bad part leads to another.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
A bearing came apart on the Driveshaft in Tranny. The Ball Bearings went between the Gears and Casing, causing the hole. Also one was stuck in the casing internally. All the gears have been damaged too. About $1700 in parts, not including the welding of the cases . Makes more sense to buy new motor...
I would for sure go with a new updated motor..............

1 - 20 of 41 Posts