Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i did it.. Finally went out and spent $70.00 on a sheet of plexi glass, Made a template from card board, traced it to the plexi glass..
then did some serching around for info on cuttting plexi glass, read adn watched everything i could about cutting it, so i figured i was ready.
OK here i go, got only 2 inches into the plastic and it shattered, but i was able to work with that part, But when i got about 2 feet into it, it shattered again to the point of being nonuseable had to trash it. Not sure what i did wrong. But any way, Does any body have any ideas for me, I'm totally lost and the wife is upset, she wont ride with out a windshield but she doesnt want to spend the 200+ for one.
PLEASE HELP???????
07 650HI XT:(:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well i did it.. Finally went out and spent $70.00 on a sheet of plexi glass, Made a template from card board, traced it to the plexi glass..
then did some serching around for info on cuttting plexi glass, read adn watched everything i could about cutting it, so i figured i was ready.
OK here i go, got only 2 inches into the plastic and it shattered, but i was able to work with that part, But when i got about 2 feet into it, it shattered again to the point of being nonuseable had to trash it. Not sure what i did wrong. But any way, Does any body have any ideas for me, I'm totally lost and the wife is upset, she wont ride with out a windshield but she doesnt want to spend the 200+ for one.
PLEASE HELP???????
07 650HI XT:(:confused:
I made my windshield out of coreplast and 1/8th inch plexi. (coreplast is like plastic cardboard used for signs and stuff.) i got a sheet (4x8) of coreplast for 30 bucks. that stuff is as strong as plywood and really light weight. then i used somthing like a 2 foot by 3 foot chunk of 1/8th plexi and mounted it to the windshield frame. I cut my plexi with jigsaw with a metal blade. IF your jigsaw has an "orbital" setting DONT USE IT!!!! the orbital motion breaks the plexi,,,, trust me on this one. Also, after i had my windshield installed, it only took about 5 minutes before i realized i HAD to have a rear windshield as well. the dust and dirt and snow will just shoot in behind you. If you arent planning on a rear windshield, dont bother with the front. ill see if i have some pictures on here to show you what mine looks like

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mastergrader is right use a small tooth blade. You can also use a torch t lightly smooth the edge.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Windshield failure

Do you know where i might find that stuff?? ( coreplast)
And what do you mean orbital on a jig saw? never heard of that, I always thought they just went straight up and down..:confused:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you know where i might find that stuff?? ( coreplast)
And what do you mean orbital on a jig saw? never heard of that, I always thought they just went straight up and down..:confused:

look in the phonebook for a sign maker. they will have it for sure. its cheap and works great. and if you dont have an orbital setting on your jigsaw, then you should be good to go.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Maybe the sign maker could cut it for you

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe the sign maker could cut it for you
ok, got the pictures off my blackberry. i will post them now with photobucket if i can figure it out. im sorry if they are sideways but hey, ive inhaled alot of exhaust in my days. OH and i cut the coreplast with a jigsaw as well. very easy to work with. I made a cardboard template with the box the coreplast came with.

I left the center piece in the coreplast for strenght. pre drilled all the bolt holes and lined the inside seams with duct tape before i mounted the glass

this is the back windshield before i put the plexi in. I just put in a piece approx 10in high and 2 feet long. works great

i used the cardboard box that the coreplast came in to cut out my tracer. it wasnt very fun but it worked. then i used some foam weather stripping to seal off the bottom because my cut wasnt perfect.

i mounted the windshield to the roll cage with self tappers. mmmmmmmmmmm i love self tappers.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
HI my dad and I cut lexan with a jig saw that worked pretty good. We used m10 lexan it doesn't scratch like regular lexan

·
Registered
491 Posts
ive made 2 windshield now out of 1/8 '' plexi. i think the next one im goin to order a sheet of 1/4'' the 1/8'' seams too flimsy for me i had to brace across the top . i was aftraid it was goin to break inthe middlean slap me inthe face ! maybe im just paranoid .

i use a circular saw to cut mine . i used a 7''bimetal cut off wheel blade and took it nicw and slow if you try to push it it caused small 1/2'' cracked along the cut on both side but if you let it justcut along it goes like butter and ALOT faster than a jigsawnice clean cut too .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Windshield failure

That cut off wheel bi metal blade, was that toothless?
I have a air powered cut off wheel (diegrinder) would that work??
And after i put the front and rear windshield on would i have to get a roof aswell to prevent the wind,dirt, and snow from smacking me around?
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the help..

·
Registered
682 Posts
i suggest that you put masking tape on the cut line. In other words mask the glass then mark your cut line and cut with tape on it. this will help from shattering.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That cut off wheel bi metal blade, was that toothless?
I have a air powered cut off wheel (diegrinder) would that work??
And after i put the front and rear windshield on would i have to get a roof aswell to prevent the wind,dirt, and snow from smacking me around?
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the help..

i tried with my die grinder but it didnt make as clean of a cut and took a little longer . the bimetal blade ,toothless , yes its a 7'' chopsaw blade . it goes right on a circular saw .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Windshield failure

Ok I got the chopsaw from menards, Now did you cut all the way through the first time , or only half? What should the blade depth be?
And should i have the plexi glass pinned to a flat surface while cutting or can i rotate the edge being cut of the side of the table????

Thanks Guys. I really appreciate the help..:)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You can buy a fiberglass/plastic siding blade for circular saws at home improvement stores that work great in circular saws. For the jigsaws, use a fine tooth metal blade to keep it from cracking.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ok I got the chopsaw from menards, Now did you cut all the way through the first time , or only half? What should the blade depth be?
And should i have the plexi glass pinned to a flat surface while cutting or can i rotate the edge being cut of the side of the table????

Thanks Guys. I really appreciate the help..:)

i left my plexi loose on the work bench . i made all the long cuts in one pass . i set the blade so i just barely went through the thickness of the plexi. made it easier to cut the contour of the dash line . remember dont push the saw too hard .let it do the work .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK thanks. Did you score the work bench or did you have the saw just off the bench. I can do eithr so im just curious so i dont screw another one up.
Thank you Soazcat!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
FWIW, Plexiglass will crack & shatter with the slightest provocation. Lexan will not. Lexan is very strong, flexible, & tolerant of stresses. Plexiglass is not. I suggest that Plexiglass not be used for a UTV windshield due to the safety aspect (getting cut from shattered shards). Lexan will not pose that same risk.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have went the other way, flexible plastic with a boarder of vinyl with snaps can have a bag sewn to carry it in. you need to see a upholstery person they can make tops, backs with windows and a lot cheaper then other things, they work great.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
OK thanks. Did you score the work bench or did you have the saw just off the bench. I can do eithr so im just curious so i dont screw another one up.
Thank you Soazcat!

lol no problem . i put the edge i was cutting just over the edge of the workbench

1 - 20 of 31 Posts