Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to owning a UTV. How deep of water and mud can I go in with a stock Prowler 700 XTX before I need to install a snorkel?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Generally the rule of thumb is the floor-board, but I think everyone goes deeper than that. I'm not sure what (if anything) is different on the 700 vs the 650 regarding the location of components. But on my 650 going from bottom up the main water concerns are 1st-Belt Housing intake and exhaust, 2nd Spark Plug, 3rd Intake. I would suggest putting some di-electric grease in your spark-plug boot and some marine grade silicone sealant or grease on your belt intake and exhaus connections. Then you almost have to get your butt wet before you have alot to worry about. Not to mention all you have to buy is a couple tubes off sealant to ensure ALOT doesn't go wrong!

P.S. If you ever decide to snorkel remember you don't have to buy an expensive kit. A Saturday and about $50 at Lowes or Home Depot and your done. And you end up with just about the same result at a $250 kit.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm with Daryl on that, a good rule of thumb is to not let the messy stuff get above the floor boards, the cvt exhaust is down quite low (down by the rear brake) on the 2010's and 11's Anyway.. I don't go really deep on a regular basis with mine but sometimes I need to cross deeper water areas so a snorkel made sense to have just piece of mind.. And it helps your motor breath better and cleaner. Took me an afternoon and about 50 bucks for plumbing supplies.. And a few cold ones :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. That's is deep as I have gone. I just wanted to know for the future.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
what do you guys seal up where the cvt vents clamp on to the side case,i know they come up to the middle of the drivers seat,i guess all you would have to do is just seal the seams where they are fitted together. and stay below the waist in water.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I completely replaced all of the factory tubes. I sealed the 2 boots to the clutch housing with high-temp marine grade sealant (like you use to seal out-drive bolts) and then from the boots out I used regular PVC cement on 1.5in ABS plastic. I will have my floor-board out again in the next day or two and will take some pics of my setup.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Daryle,the bottom pipe that comes off the bottom of the housing it was close to my header pipe so i took it off and took it to a muffler shop and they bent one up for me out of galv pipe so now i dont have to worry about melting it.hey if you still want that carb and choke and jets let me know and i will box it up and send it to you................:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I do! Sorry about that, I've been so busy it's ridiculous! I will PM you and we can work out the details!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
One thing to remember is the drain(duck valve) on you clutch intake tube is most likely stuck open with a small rock or something glue it shut.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The only drain I have is a bolt in a tapped hole on the bottom of my clutch cover with an o-ring on it. So far the deapest I've been is muddy water up to the shifter and no problems yet. I really don't want to go any deaper than that and risk shorting out my gauges.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the tips. Do I need to worry about all these if I am in mud/water up to floor pan?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. Do I need to worry about all these if I am in mud/water up to floor pan?
Don't believe you should have any problems as long as the vents are are properly maintained. Be sure the connections of the vents are tight and they are not cracked/broken anywhere. Can anybody think of anything else?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I would just check to see if you have the duc valve on you clutch exhaust if you do make sure its not stuck open like mine was it had a small rock in it mine Was and i soaked my belt and had to be towed out of the creek.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you have water to the bottom of the floor board then it's about half way up your belt case, so the possible issues above could happen.
Owner manual says that the plug Daryle_TN mentioned should be removed, engine started, revved a couple of times to drain/sling out any water after water exposure. Checked mine a couple of times after riding creek beds, some of the water in the floorboard a couple of inches and so far not the first drop of water out of it. I can see if any of the vents leak anywhere problems happening. I can definitely hear a different sound in machine when fording at floorboard depth. Believe exhaust snorkel is covered at that point and that is what I hear.:)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I like joe's tip too, I put a dab of marine silicone glue in it to prevent water from getting in there. Also, a good thing to do with your atv regardless of how deep you will be going is undo all electrical connections and put a dab of di-electric grease in them, do the same with your spark plug cap. I removed all of mine, treated them with a wire dry spray so it would creap in to the wires and then finished off with di-electric. I did that when my prowler was pretty much brand new and my kitty doesn't seem to mind the water :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts