Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And this is the reason why .. dont get me wrong ,,I have bought my share of GMC's cars and trucks in my life time ,,it's just that with all that money we are debt for and they turn out 4 out of 5 of the worst cars and trucks in the industry after we bailed them out.. And what did people do with the trade in your clunker? They bought Japanese cars and trucks...Do I blame them ,NO! whats your take on this ?

worst-made-cars-on-the-road: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

·
Registered
861 Posts
i own an 07.5 Chevy 2500HD , its the first american car i have bought since high school (20+ years ago) (weird my AC is the first american built toy i have ever had..). The windshield wipers come on at random, the sprayer comes on at random, the cv boot are split, there is rust underneath ( and i live in AZ) the TPS doesnt work correctly, hmmm, there are a lot of things wrong with it...all i can say is, i hope Toyota comes out with a tundra that can pull my toy hauler someday...

:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do what I did stick with FORD's. I have a 08 F450 and this is my 4th diesel that I have had from ford and I have never had any problems out of the ordinary. This is my 4th diesel and my 9th ford truck in about 13 years.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Do what I did stick with FORD's. I have a 08 F450 and this is my 4th diesel that I have had from ford and I have never had any problems out of the ordinary. This is my 4th diesel and my 9th ford truck in about 13 years.

ROFL...no thanks, not gonna happen..EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: Nothing like have solid front axles huh? wonder if ford designed that originally with his Model A?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an 06 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins motor in it. I am by no means brand specific, I bought the Dodge for the motor not the truck. In my opinion the Chevy/GMC is the nicest truck of the big three. I have never owned a Ford but my work trucks are all fords. Now, if there was a GMC Sierra 2500 4X4 with a Cummins diesel and an Allison transmision that would be the best!!! I am dreaming here...

·
Registered
861 Posts
agreed...if the build quality came up a bit AM....course that new genII cummins looks to be pretty bad arse when it comes out next year..dont help to have an awesome motor with a weak tranny tho'

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Overall, I'm very happy with my 2008 Chevy DuraMax 4dr 4X4. It's strong, gets decent mileage and pulls like an ox. Yeah, I've had a couple or so issues with it, but the dealer took great care of me and fixed them fast.

Now, for the fact that Toyota didn't have any vehicles on the poor list, my question to CR would be, WTF. Unless I've been dreaming for the last few months, Toyota has had a very large majority of their cars recalled for life-endangering problems...hello, doesn't that count on their list.

I like my Chevy and will most likely continue to buy Chevy. We've had Dodges and Ford in our business (John Deere Dealer and former earthwork contractor) and while they work good for some, I like the ride and work capability mixture of my DuraMax. My truck is rated at 18,000 towing, has 660ft/lb torque and will smoke a ricer any day (runs low 13's in the quarter with a tuner box and tie-rod braces, pretty good for a 6800lb truck. Check out this article on the same setup: Chevy Silverado Vs. Chevy Camaro - Duramax Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine ). Lets see a Toyota truck do that.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have a 2005 2500 HD Duramax Diesel and have owned it since new. Only problem I have had is wearing out wheel bearing. This is most likely due to the 6" lift though. Love my Chevy and plan on buying another one in 2012.

·
Registered
861 Posts
2012 toyota will have their v8 diesel dually that i will be saying hello to...:D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
2012 toyota will have their v8 diesel dually that i will be saying hello to...:D

From a recent report on the new Toyota Diesel:

Toyota Diesel Power
The massive 488-cubic-inch Hino J08E-TB turbodiesel in this Tundra is no Cummins, Duramax, or Power Stroke. It was designed for delivery trucks that haul with a GVWR of 35,000 pounds, and has a power rating of 260 hp and 585 lb-ft of torque without any modifications, which would be more than enough grunt to move the Tundra chassis along with a 20,000-pound trailer. Just like the engines in modern 1-ton diesels, the J08E-TB uses common-rail fueling, a variable-geometry turbo, an electronically controlled intake throttle, and twin EGR coolers to lower NOX emissions. Unlike the stock engines in the delivery truck applications, this one gets to breathe through a free-flowing 4.5-inch Magnaflow exhaust that reduces EGT while towing, and sweetens the sound whenever the Hino is fired up.

5-Speed and HD Axles
To deal with the torque of the large displacement diesel, the Toyota Motorsports Technical Group drastically modified the drivetrain. A heavy-duty Eaton 5-speed manual is used to transmit the massive amounts of torque from the engine back to a Meritor axle that uses "Hypoid-Generiod" gearing for strength and quiet operation, plus it can be equipped with a remote-actuated locking differential

Custom Suspension and 24K Hitch
Support for the heavy diesel engine in the 1/2-ton Tundra frame comes from a front suspension setup with custom dual front struts with Bilstein shocks. To provide a stable home for a Reese Signature Series 24,000-pound fifth-wheel trailer hitch in the bed, a Deaver spring pack and Bilstein shocks replaced the stock Tundra rear suspension.

22.5-inch Dual Rear Wheels
To make the Tundra look like a true 1-ton truck, a 6.5-foot bed was fabricated with fenders for dual rear wheels, and 22.5x9-inch 10-lug Alcoa brushed aluminum rims were mounted at all four corners, along with large drilled brake discs up front. The wheels are wrapped in Michelin XDA 2+ Energy 295/60R22.5 tires that have strong sidewalls for towing and are designed with low-rolling resistance to maximize the dualie's mpg.
Now the new 2011 6.6-liter Duramax turbo diesel has 397 horsepower and 765 lb-ft. of torque, still more than the Toyota. And combine that with the Allison Automatic...hands down, it'll still out tow and beat the Yota...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am also not brand specific. I am on my third GM truck (05 Sierra Dennali 6.0 gas) and it is the best truck I've owned yet. It pulls more, its faster, more comfortable, more reliable and better on fuel than my Fords or Dodges.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i own an 07.5 Chevy 2500HD , its the first american car i have bought since high school (20+ years ago) (weird my AC is the first american built toy i have ever had..). The windshield wipers come on at random, the sprayer comes on at random, the cv boot are split, there is rust underneath ( and i live in AZ) the TPS doesnt work correctly, hmmm, there are a lot of things wrong with it...all i can say is, i hope Toyota comes out with a tundra that can pull my toy hauler someday...

:cool:
i moved out of a 07 chevy 2500hd duramax allison combo for a 09 tundra (first toyota for me and it is made in indiana) and have never looked back. don't get me wrong it chevy was good it just did not feel like a truck. the tundra has pulled everything i have asked it to, boats,skid steers, tractors, and compact excivators, and never complained. as for the tundra diesel sign me up but i spend a great deal of time on tundra boards and the word from some people i think are in the know is do not hold your breath.
tim

·
Registered
389 Posts
I too have owned dozens of Makes of vehicles. I currently have a 2007 Chevy Colorado 3.7 5 cyl. I have had the truck for 3 years and I have not had a single problem. I don't care what the report says I love my truck and it looks even better pulling my XTZ around!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Im a truck dealer for over 20 years now and Ive owned more trucks than anyone here, fact of the matter Ive owned more than everyone here combined. and I really dont feel like breaking it all down as to what I have seen over the years but the Fords are way tougher for being used hard. the chevys ride a little nicer but they fall apart if used hard the dmax motor is good and the allison. the dodges just seem cheap and little **** breaks cummins is good tranny is weak. I could go on and on. this is why God made white horses and black horses so everyone can have what ever they want that makes them happy. I wouldnt want anything to do with any toyota truck either. I will support the USA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got 6 Chevy's in my yard two Trucks "68 0ne ton" "02 3/4 ton" 4 cars "74 Stingray" "86 Vette Pace Car" "07 HHR" "08 Impala" Outside of normal wear and tear none have needed any special repairs. The trucks are both used heavily in construction. The Vette's are driven hard and the others start all winter long insub-zero temps. You either have good luck with a vehicle or you don't. (Mine go when you press the gas and stop when the brakes are applied.)

·
Registered
861 Posts
good morn ! :) I agree TCB.. i drove the 09 tundra and really like it, it was a caddy on wheels, cept its tow capacity is about 3-4K Lbs short of where i need it. And i know they keep pushing the release of the diesel hd back, i am sure this latest attack by the govt to give some market share back to the "us" companies is impacting them somewhat. We all know that there were alot of pissed off people with the cash for clunkers program that backfired on them..lmfao.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Im a truck dealer for over 20 years now and Ive owned more trucks than anyone here, fact of the matter Ive owned more than everyone here combined. and I really dont feel like breaking it all down as to what I have seen over the years but the Fords are way tougher for being used hard. the chevys ride a little nicer but they fall apart if used hard the dmax motor is good and the allison. the dodges just seem cheap and little **** breaks cummins is good tranny is weak. I could go on and on. this is why God made white horses and black horses so everyone can have what ever they want that makes them happy. I wouldnt want anything to do with any toyota truck either. I will support the USA.
Good comment Warlock. Around here, the main industry is oil and gas production. Lots of trucks running around on oilfield roads, which are usually rutted and muddy in spring, frozen and rutted in winter with snow, dusty and rutted in summer, and finally in the fall, they get the ruts down under 6 inches deep.
The break down of the guys in the field and their trucks usually run like this: The new guys get the Dodges. Cheap and throw away if they get torn up. The experienced hands get the Ford F-350s, unless they do real work, then they get the Chevy 2500HDs. Then when you get in to a management position, you get the Chevys again. And the last time I saw a Toyota running in the oilfield, it was retired after just 1 year. The Yotas around here are mostly high school kids, that jack them up and run the heck out of them in the Glade sandwashes.
Here's my truck. I'm running BFG MudTerrain KM2s on it now. But it's done great for me. Tows better than the Dodge's we have and just feels better than a Ford to me. But I would take Dodge, Ford or Chevy any day over a Yota.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't trust any of these reports anymore, they all are scewed and I can't trust them, just like the atv and utv magazines, nothing in them is unbiased. I'm a GM guy and if I were to buy something different it would be a ford F-250, never have liked toyotas, they are overpriced and nothing special, plus I think the tundra is butt ugly, but that is what I like and to each their own it would suck if everyone was driving the same trucks around.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unfortunately, the Ford F250 was on the list as well. Although, I own a 2000 F250 and have had 0 problems with it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts