Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a story that is true and it has a question for you all to answer if you care to take a guess . Or maybe it wont be a guess ,,maybe you have experienced what I am about to tell a tale on myseft about that has happened to you also..

This story is about Me and my 1956 Chevy short box step side truck I had way back in 1962 or so. It was a six cylinder engine with a 4 speed tranny including granny gear..

I went to work one day ( I was working for a guy who had this little saw mill and I off bared the head rig for him and togeather we cut logs into lumber . The mill was out of town in the country some 3-4 miles I guess or so , and I would some times go to town at noon to the hamburger joint to get lunch .
So on this one day around noon the guy that owned the mill had a load of lumber to take to have plained and that left me all alone until he came back . So like I was telling you I did go to town sometimes and on this day thats what I decided I would do .

I went out and got into my pickup and it wouldnt start. I had a almost dead battery , and it wouldnt turn the engoine over fast enough to get it going . I didnt have another battery or a charger .

Here I was alone no way to shove the truck down any hills to clutch start it ,,so I what I did that day to start my truck is something that by me telling this story through the years to quite a few folks has told me that besides my "Ol Pappy" ,, and maybe 2 others have ever done what I did on this day that started my old pickup and allowed me to drive away to town for a burger for lunch.

Anyways this all I have ever heard of doing it..so just maybe I am about to hear of another from you that has done this and can answer my question ..

Question is how did I go about starting the pickup ? I will check in later and see if any has come up with the answer.. GP

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have heard of dropping some asprin into a battery for a "one last chance" at starting

·
Registered
438 Posts
you started it direct at the starter with a screw driver .......

·
Registered
95 Posts
just thinking CAA? or AAA or whatever you have ???

·
Registered
463 Posts
hand crank Lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Were you visited by aliens?
Ha ha,, good to see ya again Sandchris No thats not it and I got to tell ya all that only one of you are even close .

I will give you all more time and also maybe a new person can think of something too..

I know I know ,,this would bug me to,,but I guarentee you that when you read how it was done you will understand that it wasnt a fluke or anything.. Gp

·
Registered
682 Posts
ok , I'm going with the aspirin trick. i remember that when i was young a guy came by and sold ,ya my dad bought this stuff, us some tablets that when we put them in batteries renewed them for a while. Didnt fix , but did help them for a while.So that,s my vote. In other words i don't have a clue. lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no asprin
no screwdriver
noaaa or caa
no generator
no sunshine
no aliens
no winch

now that leaves one left that is on track of how I did it but not it exactly ..

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know how many guesses I get but I've plugged a 12 inch subwoofer into a house recepticle and it was pretty cool. 60hz for a few seconds then pop! Maybe a jimmied extension cord to the starter?

·
Registered
291 Posts
You used the motor on the saw mill to start it

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay guys ,,I know I would be in suspence for sure by now ,,so let me give you a strong Hint and maybe some one can put it all togeather how I got the truck a running all by my self .
By the way ,,I never started a vehicle again like this as I Just never had to I guess,, but I do know of one young man ( a couple years ago )who when hearing me tell of how I did it ,,went right to his 1959 Chevy and gave it a try and it worked for him as well and he came back to me and shook his head and told me he never would or thought.

Heres the Hint "A bumper Jack"

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Jacked it up at the rear bumper as high as the jack would raise it, put it in granny gear, then pushed the clutch in allowing it to roll forward, falling off the jack which gave it enough speed to release the clutch pedal and to bump start it in granny gear.

I had a 67 Chevy stepside with the 6cylinder and 4spd with granny... I think that would start it

·
Registered
294 Posts
Probably something to that affect of jacking it up and turning the tires, but I would say you use third gear or so, that takes less torque to turn the motor over than the lower gears.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts