Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to tell you the entire story. I recently bought a 2008 Prowler 650 xt. It ran amazing without any issues. I took it camping and it was night time and couldn't tell how deep the water was and fell into a deep part of the creek. I turned the key to shut off as soon as I started falling in. Brought it back home and drained the oil and changed it. Was still getting water in the oil. Pulled the plug and hit the key and was shooting water out. Did this about 15 times and no more water. Put everything back together and she fired right up. So I changed the oil again and bam water in the oil. I did this 7 times. Finally pulled the muffler and it was full of water. I'm guessing that's where the water was coming from yet. So I pulled the pipe just to make sure there's not any water in there and nothing. So I fired it for maybe 10 seconds to make sure it all the water is gone and thankfully there's no water coming out. My question is.. I cannot find a gasket for the exhaust pipe. Everything is a doughnut. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Parts for older Prowlers are getting hard to find, here's a link to Cat's site, by your description you are talking about part #2 or #5.
Arctic Cat, Inc. » Parts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. I found and ordered it. So now I thought all the water was gone but no. When I drain the oil there's only one plug for the tranny and oil. The plug isn't low enough to drain everything out of the belt housing too. I've tried jacking it up, letting it sit over night, then lowering it, and there's more that comes out. But upon refill and riding it.. the oil looks milky again. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Do you notice white smoke when you start it? I'm wondering if coolant is getting in the oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No service manual. Thanks for adding that link. There is not any coolant going into the oil. That was my initial thought but the coolant level has stayed the same. There is white smoke as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oil strainer screen.. if I'm looking correctly, does it sit in the bottom of the motor where the drain plug screws into?

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
That be it! They can be a pain to get off, not a lot of room near the cross member.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I think I would do a cylinder leak down test, just to make sure the headgasket isn't bad, from the water compression in the cylinder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that the only other place that oil or water actually could be left at in the motor? Could any moisture be in that belt housing since it appears that all the oil does not drain out of there?

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Should not be any oil in the belt area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright. I'll do the compression test even though I know I'm good there. I'm mostly curious on pulling the plate and oil screen. I don't understand why they wouldn't make a different mold to accommodate the oil drain. Obviously oil is going to sit in that plate.

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
I use a motorcycle coolant system tester to check for head gaskets, or coolant leaks. It pressure tests the system for leaks, and shows increased pressure (rapid) when running to confirm a bad head gasket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Compression test is good. TAlked to a mechanics at an Arctic Cat dealer. He said to drain the oil and let it sit for a day, then fill it with gas, jack up the rear a bit and spin the wheels for 10 mins, then drain, and refill with oil. Said it's gonna take a bit to get that moisture out. He did say that if that doesn't work to spray the whore down with brake cleaner. If that doesn't work then pull the sides off the motor. What a nightmare.

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Ain;t it a grand plan! LOL I use a Torx bit and a needle nose vice grips to remove them, then I throw the bolts away and replace with hex head bolts. I did find a mini ratchet wrench at harbor freight that worked really great also! I think others found one at Wal-Mart. This was a hot topic several years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I used a torx bit and a box end wrench to get mine off. If you have extras JB Weld them together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up welding a bit onto a small wrench. Genuis idea on replacing the bolts. I got it off and there was water and oil in both the bowl and screen. So hopefully I'm getting somewhere now. I was going to dump 10 quarts down it without that bowl on to flush it out and clean that screen and bowl with brake cleaner. If that doesn't work, a mechanic for Arctic Cat told me to fill it with gas once or twice, jack up the back, and spin the tires roughly 10 mins each time. After I drain it to let it sit overnight to make sure all the gas has evaporated. Then fill it and drain it. Then fill it again and take it for a ride. If that doesn't work then pull the side cases and douse it with two cans of brake cleaner.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
cautionary note ... you are now running the bearing very dry of oil following the A/C guys advise ... be sure to do the same wheel movement after refilling with fresh oil to get some lube in the bearing before firing it up and a good dose of sea foam in the gas is also a good thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After I pulled the bowl and screen, I flushed those with brake cleaner. The bowl was full of water and oil. I then flushed the motor with 5 quarts of oil. Put everything back on, filled it up, and she purred like a kitten. Took it for a small ride and drained it and she's clean. No milky whatsoever. So thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. I couldn't have done it without y'all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts