Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Ideas to calm the "Snort" down on the 1000 XTZ for around the acreage

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Diesel Racer 
#1 ·
I thought I would get used to the torque and snappy throttle but have not really. It dont matter out riding but around my acreage I dont like to tear up lawn and rock. The torque and low end snap of the throttle is hard to control. Can anyone think of a way to trick the EFI into not being so responsive to the throttle with a resistor or something for utility use?

#2 ·
did you already lighten the throttle spring ? .. makes a huge difference as reported by many , I have not done that yet , so far have been able to control by light foot'in it ... but there have been occasions that that spring would have been nice I just need to do it.

there is a thread about this , believe it's a 650 / 700 thread

#3 ·
Reactions: de3 and Stump426
#4 ·
That was my thought also! I replaced my spring with the spring off of a 2009 650XT, Part # 0405-233, it allows better throttle feel IMHO (got that from Gary!), next consideration is clutch rollers to take away some bottom end. You should have the green 23.5 gram rollers if it is stock, there are three factory rollers that have more weight, 25, 28, and 33 grams. If you are unsure of the clutch weights, I'd pull it down to check for flat spots, and overall condition of the clutch and belt.
red rollers = 19 grams = 6000RPM AC # 0823-164
blue rollers = 21 grams = 5500RPM AC # 0823-167
green rollers = 23 grams = 5000RPM AC # 0823-170
white rollers = 25 grams - 4500RPM AC # 3402-483
grey rollers – 28 grams - AC # 0823-295
black rollers – 33 grams AC # 0823-298

17 gram roller - white - 02/375 - 03+400 - part number: 3402-633
19 gram roller - red - prowler 09+700 - part number: 0823-164
21 gram roller - blue - various H1 engines - part number: 0823-167
23 gram roller - green - Tcat engines - part number: 0823-170
25 gram roller - white - 00- 09 500 - part number: 3402-483
28 gram roller - gray - 10/650MP - 11+700mp - 12 WildCat - part number: 0823-295
33 gram roller - black - 10+ Tcat mudpro - part number: 0823-298

Reactions: Retired1
#5 ·
RD .. the XTZ is as stiff as pushing your foot against a brick wall

#6 ·
Mine was similar, then I drove Bryans and what a difference! Ordered his spring, and made a great difference!

#7 ·
where did you get your part ?

#8 · (Edited)
Here is an (expensive) way to address the issue -
throttlemaxx

There was a company in Arizona that made complete replacement pedals for the Prowler, but it appears that their website is down. I will continue to research this vendor. Update: I attempted several ways to access their website, but I keep getting warnings that their website contains malicious malware. Another search turned up that their last presence online was in 2013. I won't be looking into them any further.

Here is the (expensive) Speedwerx spring -
Speedwerx, Inc. | Arctic Cat Prowler/Wildcat/Trail/Sport Stiffer Throttle Spring

Here is the AC (inexpensive) 2009 650XT spring that is favored by a number of forum members (and recommended by RD) -
http://www.arcticcatpartshouse.com/oemparts/a/arc/5012eacbf8700219481d8329/accelerator-assembly

http://www.arcticcatpartshouse.com/oemparts/p/arctic_cat/0405-233/spring

Personally, I would prefer to change the pedal leverage ratio rather than installing a heavier spring. My OEM spring is already heavier than what I want. Another method I am considering is to duct tape a firm foam filled pillow to the steering wheel and another one to the headrest. It won't eliminate the jerking, but it will soften the impact. It will also have the advantage of picking pillow case colors to compliment my metallic green body color.

#9 ·
Now the last one is thinking out of the box! Just frigging beautiful! LOL

#10 ·
Well, I found something even better than foam filled bedroom pillows - a foam filled hunting seat cushion in camo to match my Prowler seat camo.... Now I need to find another one.

Note: This is a blatant and shameless post intended to add to my post count to get me out of the "Jounior" level member category and into the "Senior" level category.

Reactions: de3 and Stump426
#11 · (Edited)
All shameless but entertaining post are welcome! :laugh:

I can't remember how many post is needed before it changes.

#12 ·
ok on the cushion ... butt [pun intended] did you have to say what if was , glad you don't have smell-a-vision to go with that post LOL

#14 ·
I just spit coffee out of my nose!

hahaha

Reactions: de3
#15 ·
I'm not sure what your pedal looks like but on another thread I had suggested the use of the Wildcat gas pedal on a Prowler. Instead of being flat it has a bend halfway up the face that allows for much easier modulation.

Reactions: de3 and Retired1
#16 ·
Looking at that now! Thanks Scout, owe ya one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.