Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if plowing snow with my 07 650 would be a bad idea or not?
Some are saying that it will destroy the machine, and others say it wont hurt a thing, I am sure it will give the bike some wear and tear but just not sure what parts will self destruct, or which parts (if any)should have some extra attention while plowing..
Any suggestions!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I live in Muskoka Ontario canada. Let me tell you, I had an 06 sportsman with a plow on it and i thought it was great, BUT once it got stolen and I bought a prowler it is by far the best thing for plowing. Its comfortable, cuts the wind if you have front and rear windshield and it has enough weight to push tons of snow. My turf saver diff is almost cooked but i dont think it is from plowing. If you get any amount of snowfall where you live you will be happy with a plow on your prowler. Just make sure you dont leave your blade up when you arent using your machine cuz its hard on springs.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've heard the same things even on full size trucks.

I think it more depends on how you use it. If you are slamming into frozen snow banks at high speeds it most likely is going to damage sooner or later. Use if for pushing snow and not thinking it will move the previous piles and I think they'll do just fine.

I'll be finding out soon enough myself.

Since these pics I've extended it to 72 inches instead of the 60 inch shown.

--

·
Registered
463 Posts
You can plow with it. Keep it in low if you are pushing the heavy stuff. I have found that the winch will over heat if used too much but will work fine once it cools off. It sure beats shoveling

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the info guys.
And Triplej, how did you extend the plow do you have a steel roller to make the bend of the blade, or did you do it by hand?
I was thinking of making my own plow blade but didnt think i would be able to make the curve of the blade or the angle iron supports behind the blade...

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just used UHMF and riveted it to the blade as I only had to extend 6" on both sides.

It's just sitting in place in this pic though.

The curving of the angle iron is easy if you have a welder, just cut knotches about every inch or so in the point of the angle about 1/2 way through, make your bend and then weld it all back up.

Rolling of the metal though I've never quite figured out a way to do without proper tools. I know some have used hot water heaters cut in half, 55 gallon drums cut in half, etc. but it would be best to find a blade if possible to start with.

-

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK I see what you did. Yea as far as bending the steel i have never been able to get the same arc through out the peice even with a steel brake, I could have used other pieces welded togeather but i didnt want it to look like it was home,I MEAN custome made..
I found a guy that will sell me the complete plow set-up for around 350.00 so i think i will go with that..
Well thanks for the input Triplej,
And congrats on the new machine, it looks good..

OH! one more thing, was the 60" plow enough for the prowler, or when turned will the tires be out side the cutting area??
I was thinking of going with the 72" but i was worried about storage, for i dont have a lot of room to spare, so if the 60" will cut it i will go with that, I just dont want the windrow falling back into the tires causing an uneven cut..

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you do a full turn it you will be driving on the windrow, the partial turn is really border line and most likely will be running on part of the windrow, remember your machine is 61 inches wide. That is why I extended mine out to 72" just to be safe.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just wondering if plowing snow with my 07 650 would be a bad idea or not?
Some are saying that it will destroy the machine, and others say it wont hurt a thing, I am sure it will give the bike some wear and tear but just not sure what parts will self destruct, or which parts (if any)should have some extra attention while plowing..
Any suggestions!!!
Heck, that's why I originally bought my Prowler! LOL
Then I discovered that after the work is done, it's a hoot for playin in too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I plow with a 08 650 72" plow with an electric actuator. Its like anything else if you don't abuse your machine everything works great. Lots of snow last year with no prob. Good luck

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you do a full turn it you will be driving on the windrow, the partial turn is really border line and most likely will be running on part of the windrow, remember your machine is 61 inches wide. That is why I extended mine out to 72" just to be safe.
OK I just emailed the guy with the plows to see if he can get me a 72" for the Mass amounts of snow we are going to get this year:D..
And hopefully he can get the right mounting bracket for my machine:)...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heck, that's why I originally bought my Prowler! LOL
Then I discovered that after the work is done, it's a hoot for playin in too!
Yea ! no kidding, I am hoping to get out for a few winter rides this year,:D gess it all depends if i get laid off or not...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok just got off the phone with the guy for the plow, he says he can get them but he says that he has the reciver hitch style mount and not the push tubes, So my new question is which is better the reciver style or the push tubes?
I am leaning for the push tubes to even out the force but if the reciver style will work i guess i will have to go with that and hope it wont damage the maching..
Any input will be greatly appreciated..
Thanks!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well you saw where mine is but it will be the first year plowing with it (had a plow truck last year) but a buddy of mine has been plowing with his Rhino for over 2 years now with it mounted in the reciever with no issues.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well you saw where mine is but it will be the first year plowing with it (had a plow truck last year) but a buddy of mine has been plowing with his Rhino for over 2 years now with it mounted in the reciever with no issues.
OK thanks Triplej

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like fun guys, lets see some snow plow pictures in action
OK will do, but that will probably have to wait till after the first of the year, cause the guy with the plow called me back and said the cost would be higher than he thought, do to how it was built, but still reasonable to me, so i will have to wait for taxes this year.
But i will definatly get some videos after i get the plow..:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts