Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on occasion it will go into 4x4, but rarely when switch is flipped. When it does, I hear the noise it makes, and see the indication on speedo, light on switch. 95% of time it will not. Are there logical safety switches or parameters that need met for it to engage 4x4?

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I'd pull the connections apart, clean them, install dielectric grease, then plug them back in. This seems to cure most machines.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I found it last night. Switch is flaky. I ordered a new one off ebay and will see if that corrects it.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I think I found it last night. Switch is flaky. I ordered a new one off ebay and will see if that corrects it.
these switches are of a poor design IMHO , I too have had to fumble F around trying to get into 4x4 lock .. and a real PIA during hunt season with very cold conditions and heavy snows on the ground, and hands not working well do to temps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
given the location of the switch and this is a utility vehicle and sits outside when in use, on trips, trailers, etc. those switches need to be more weatherproof or have a folding cover over them. My rear diff exploded and I found my 4x4 was not working intermittent so pulling load was putting all strain on rear diff. it would go into 4x4 but then fall out of you rattle switch around or while driving.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
given the location of the switch and this is a utility vehicle and sits outside when in use, on trips, trailers, etc. those switches need to be more weatherproof or have a folding cover over them. My rear diff exploded and I found my 4x4 was not working intermittent so pulling load was putting all strain on rear diff. it would go into 4x4 but then fall out of you rattle switch around or while driving.
maybe your right , but my "beef" is switch design itself .. could have had 2 switches and not that lil crappy thing to engage the lock if that;s what they needed to fix that switch .... maybe a lil investigation on that part for retrofit HUMMM

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I agree on that one! Two switches would have been much better. Granted I use locked 4 wheel very seldom, it is a pain to operate the lock function!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Our older rigs have the cable diff lock lever.
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The replacement switch fixed it. Thanks for the PM DR, I printed it and added it to the manual. Thank you.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Anyone know if they are using the same design switch on newer models?

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I'm afraid to look at the newer models, might buy one! I noticed the other day that mine kicks out of 4wd when I shift out of reverse, to high. Must be a interlock switch out of adjustment somewhere. I'll check it out when I get the time.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I'm afraid to look at the newer models, might buy one! I noticed the other day that mine kicks out of 4wd when I shift out of reverse, to high. Must be a interlock switch out of adjustment somewhere. I'll check it out when I get the time.
my guess you weren't fully in 4x4 .. but "on the edge" and when you shifted and backed it popped back out ???? just a guess again

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
my guess you weren't fully in 4x4 .. but "on the edge" and when you shifted and backed it popped back out ???? just a guess again
I don't know, Gary. I tried it several times again. It goes in and out of 4wd everytime when its in reverse. As soon as you shift out of reverse, the actuator takes it out of 4wd. When its in High or Low, the actuator won't engage into 4wd at all. Strange... I wonder if this is CDI box controlled? I need a good wiring diagram to check it out. I found one, but it won't download and is too small to read. Any ideas?

AH HA!
Just got the downloadable version from K&T to work. Looks like its the "Gear shift position" switch. Probably out of adjustment. I'll tear into Monday when I'm off!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Fixed! After swapping out CDI's, tracing wiring from the switch, to the CDI, to the relay to the front wheel drive actuator... 4 hours.... I found a bad terminal on my FWD switch. The spades on the back of the switch, feed the actuator for Reverse and Forward speeds off seperate spades. Fixed the terminal and works FINE! Now another hour to put it back together.... Hey, its fixed for free though!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Fixed! After swapping out CDI's, tracing wiring from the switch, to the CDI, to the relay to the front wheel drive actuator... 4 hours.... I found a bad terminal on my FWD switch. The spades on the back of the switch, feed the actuator for Reverse and Forward speeds off seperate spades. Fixed the terminal and works FINE! Now another hour to put it back together.... Hey, its fixed for free though!
Congrats glad you worked through it , me however not so sure I could do the wire figure out thing , I tend to let the smoke out of the wire and never get it back in :(

wiring is not my gift :(

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I think I was reading schematics longer than actually working on it, Gary. I should have looked at the damn switch first. Geez! My headlight switch did the same thing in Wisconsin last fall. Essness told me they weren't working, but the switch was lit.Took it out, tightened the terminals and shot some electrical contact cleaner in it. Same thing this time, I had indication that it was in 4WD. Next time... I will check the damn switch first!

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Good to know! If at first you don't make it work, complicate it!LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts