Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using the XTZ to pull out a big 20' enclosed cargo trailer the other day and something made me get down on my knees and glance under the battery area. To my surprise I found a cluster of six wires that looks like they just pulled out of a connector of some sort....... all the round push in type connecter with rubber seals at the top of the connecter. This is just behind and below the battery box/in front of the driver's rear tire. I can't find anything that it could reach to plug into and nothing seems to have been torn off. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok.........searched the wiring diagram and I'm pretty sure these got yanked out of my regulator/rectifier somehow......I'm not at home and so will check when I get a chance. If I'm seeing the wires correctly ( and I quickly admit that I am very color blind!!!!........but I had a co-worker look at the photos too.....) they are left to right: red, yellow/green, yellow/orange. yellow/red, black, and yellow/purple ....... #26 ring the regulator/rectifier. I'm I thinking straight here? Or seeing straight? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yes those are your rectifier wires

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes those are your rectifier wires
Thanks Tim. I haven't had a chance yet to see what's left of the plug that those wires are supposed to be inside of. Hopefully it is ok, otherwise I'm gonna have to try to find that type of connector spmwhere.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Wow, wonder how they got pulled out? Surprised it started and ran. Had to be on battery power only. Good thing you checked it out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, wonder how they got pulled out? Surprised it started and ran. Had to be on battery power only. Good thing you checked it out.
Ya, it's really strange. I got underneath and found that the connector was still there on the bottom of the battery box and in place. I took it off and in to where I had more light and it appears that it is in perfect condition. The little tabs that are to hold the pins in are still there. Not sure how all 6 wires got tugged out without breaking either the connector or a few wires. AND........the connector is facing forward........ It could have only got yanked out while in reverse!!! I'm quite stumped!!! Hope to get some time in the next day ro two to put it all back together and see if all things are working. ........I'm rewiring a trailer and dealing with putting snow tires back on vehicles. About 6-10 inches of snow in the last 2 days!!! Crazy!!!

Reactions: Fairmont79

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
and maybe relocate the wires to a safer place ??? wondering after all my escapades why I haven't done the same thing as we're about the same vintage ..

I have drug mine over more downed logs and trail brush from overgrown trails in the heavy woods than you could shake a stick at. not to mention the rock gardens it has been through. .. maybe I'd better look down there too LOL

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
I thought I read that Alberta had a foot of snow! No comment on Kingman weather! LOL Tim is the man on wiring! His Prowler had all kinds of nifty electrical stuff! His Prowler looked like a Christmas tree on steroids when everything was turned on!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and maybe relocate the wires to a safer place ??? wondering after all my escapades why I haven't done the same thing as we're about the same vintage ..

I have drug mine over more downed logs and trail brush from overgrown trails in the heavy woods than you could shake a stick at. not to mention the rock gardens it has been through. .. maybe I'd better look down there too LOL
I'm definitely gonna look into safer wire placement......as I was under it trying to find what was going on I was appalled at the wires that had been run by the POs (not sure which one) that were just draped over things and left hanging!!! No kind of zip ties or shielding or anything......that is gonna be cleaned up, or torn out......their whole wiring job is one of the worst I have ever seen!!!!

I thought I read that Alberta had a foot of snow! No comment on Kingman weather! LOL Tim is the man on wiring! His Prowler had all kinds of nifty electrical stuff! His Prowler looked like a Christmas tree on steroids when everything was turned on!
Haha.......ya we've had a bit of snow here, but north of us a couple hours in Calgary they had almost 1.5 ft of snow!!!! Coming down 2.5 inches or more every hour!! Over 200 accidents are reported and Edmonton, which is another 2.5 hrs north sent snow plows to Calgary to help them out..... Edmonton didn't see any flakes at all!!! Pic attached is what i was looking at this morning.

And I agree with Tim being the wiring guru!!! He has a sweet rig wired up with more things than I'd ever think of adding!!!! lol

Attachments

Reactions: Fairmont79

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I finally got a chance to get under the prowler with a non-colourblind son and pop the wires back into the connector in the right places and then snapped the connector back onto the regulator. I'm gonna get back under there and have a look at things as the wire harness was quite tight to get the connector back in. Seemed a little straining on the wire and connector. I then took her for a bit of a run hauling stuff back and forth around the yard.......all pretty slow and not much rpm's etc. After driving her a bit and letting her idle for quite a few minutes I shut her off for a bit. Upon restart, she cranked noticeably faster, so it appears to be charging as she should. I had no time to check with a multi-meter but all appears good. I DO need to put a volt meter in the dash as RD and so many others here have done........along with an oil pressure and temp gauges....... but that will be for another day. Thanks All!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should note that the location of the wire is actually in a safe place had the PO not taken the skid panels off and not put them back on again. It would have been very safely placed with that underside protection. I do have a set of aluminum skid plates for it that I will get put on to prevent this from happening again!!

Reactions: GTroyer

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
I moved my regulator in order to put less strain on the wires. I put it with the battery under the drivers seat when moved the battery to the frame rail.

Reactions: Paxx

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I moved my regulator in order to put less strain on the wires. I put it with the battery under the drivers seat when moved the battery to the frame rail.
I did the same thing. All of my electronic crap is mounted on the box frame, under the seat. Super easy access to it all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts