Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lacking some power on my 650 2008 lately, and on todays trip it was barely any HP left. Can hit around 25mph and that takes time. Its like its not getting air, altough i know thats not it.

The plug is just a couple of months old and looks fine, the air filter and box are clean, changed the belt a couple of months ago and also cleaned cluthes, the belt isnt slipping (i think), it runs/idles normal in neutral, ... Any ideas whats wrong?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Could it be it's starving for fuel, stuck float? Maybe a vacuum leak on the intake boot, I had mine crack where the line for the fuel pump connects. How about valves out of adjustment, just a few ideas for thought.

Don't know if I asked before, do you have a service manual? You can download one here:
"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

·
Registered
220 Posts
Been lacking some power on my 650 2008 lately, and on todays trip it was barely any HP left. Can hit around 25mph and that takes time. Its like its not getting air, altough i know thats not it.

The plug is just a couple of months old and looks fine, the air filter and box are clean, changed the belt a couple of months ago and also cleaned cluthes, the belt isnt slipping (i think), it runs/idles normal in neutral, ... Any ideas whats wrong?

What are you turning for RPM's?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what you mean with turning rpm's. However as far as I can see the rpm's are acting normal when accelerating, just no power.

Yes, got the manual. Think that I will take it to the dealer tough, i cant find anything wrong. Also did find out when i called my dealer that there is an old racall from back in 2008 that not has been taken care of. Something to mount on where the oilfilter is and to the oil cooler (I think, not sure).

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Keep us posted, we are like a bunch of little kids, we have to know everything! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
That sounds like the change they made in where the oil cooler lines connect, my original engine they connected to the engine itself, on the one I have now they added a "horseshoe" between the filter engine that the lines connect to.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I think youre right, mlh. Do you know what that "horseshoe" does good for our Cats? Is it something to do with that oil pump/top end failure on the 2008 (7?) i have read about, that im terrified will happen to me...?

Ill keep you kids updated on what they figure out ;)

The only thing that worries me is that it is only the second time they have a prowler in for service (theire first time was me as well, 1,5 year ago...). They are well known in my part of the country to know theire stuff about AC atvs and snowmobiles tough.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Yes, I think youre right, mlh. Do you know what that "horseshoe" does good for our Cats? Is it something to do with that oil pump/top end failure on the 2008 (7?) i have read about, that im terrified will happen to me...?

Ill keep you kids updated on what they figure out ;)

The only thing that worries me is that it is only the second time they have a prowler in for service (theire first time was me as well, 1,5 year ago...). They are well known in my part of the country to know theire stuff about AC atvs and snowmobiles tough.
The oil pump/top end failure was mainly on the 2007 models and it happened to me. The oil pump driven gear fails and the teeth break off, the lack of oil pressure cooks the top end. I am the 3rd owner and not knowing how the previous owners took care of it, I went with a new engine so I could get all the updated parts like the newer bevel gears also.

If I remember right there was a change in engine design and that's why they put the horseshoe on mine, they also sold the horseshoe with oil cooler add-on kits for those that didn't come from the factory with one.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
You could always have them check the oil pressure to be on the safe side, I added a gauge to mine. Here's what my oil pump gear looked like, the teeth were completely gone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Here's a photo of the horseshoe on mine, you can also see two ports on the engine below the filter, that's where my cooler was connected on my original engine but the ports were located a little different.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
The horseshoe is basically a sandwich adapter (automotive term) for installing the oil cooler. They work pretty darn good! The oil should be run at 220 degrees "F" to get anythe moisture in the oil boiled off. It takes mine forever to hit oil temp! It runs at 220, unless I'm really beating on it, then I can get it up to 230/240, but as soon as I back off it drops temp pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I found some pics of my old engine and how the oil cooler ports were placed.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not sure what you mean with turning rpm's. However as far as I can see the rpm's are acting normal when accelerating, just no power.

Yes, got the manual. Think that I will take it to the dealer tough, i cant find anything wrong. Also did find out when i called my dealer that there is an old racall from back in 2008 that not has been taken care of. Something to mount on where the oilfilter is and to the oil cooler (I think, not sure).

If RPM's are low it would explain as to why you have no power. I'd be looking at the clutching if so???? If RPM's are normal you maybe should check compression.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Fairmont and mlh, looking forward to get the best temp on my oil after a recall that should have been done 7years ago. Maybe this horseshoe will make my oil capacity to come a bit closer to the 2,5L in the manual rather than actual (1,8L or so). ? Probably not..

Catman, think I know my clutch well enough that its not it, But know nothing about my compression. The first thing my dealer asked me when I started it was about (directly translated..) what that "farting" sound was. Then asked me if it ive had problem with it getting too warm. He thought it sounded like the head gasket. Havnt been too warm as far as i know. How do you know? Is the head gasket such an expensive thing to do on my prowler as it is on normal cars? (Been there, not done that..).

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Not sure what the labor would be, I can change the head gasket on mine in a little over 2 hours. I use a motorcycle test kit to check my head gasket, basically you pressurize the cooling system to check for leaks. It has a radiator cap with a plastic line going to a hand pump equipped with a gage. Changing head gaskets is a fairly easy job, pull the seats, engine cover, air cleaner, and remove the EFI/Carburetor, and the exhaust. Most intimidating is the cam timing! I pull my up to TDC, and leave it there until completed (I take the plastic stator cover off, and put a 15mm socket and breaker bar on the stator nut to help hold the motor at TDC) I used to hang the timing chain, but I quit doing that, and just let the chain drop into the case. I use a magnet to pick it back up, and put it back on the lower gear by pushing it with my finger through the cam tensioner hole. New head bolts should be used, I've snapped used bolts several times, and believe me that sucks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks RD. If its my head gasket ill let the dealer do it. Do a lot service on it myself, but stuff like that ill let someone else do. Think thats for the best :)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Here's a photo of the horseshoe on mine, you can also see two ports on the engine below the filter, that's where my cooler was connected on my original engine but the ports were located a little different.
I like that set up better than using then using the ports in the block.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Fairmont and mlh, looking forward to get the best temp on my oil after a recall that should have been done 7years ago. Maybe this horseshoe will make my oil capacity to come a bit closer to the 2,5L in the manual rather than actual (1,8L or so). ? Probably not..

Catman, think I know my clutch well enough that its not it, But know nothing about my compression. The first thing my dealer asked me when I started it was about (directly translated..) what that "farting" sound was. Then asked me if it ive had problem with it getting too warm. He thought it sounded like the head gasket. Havnt been too warm as far as i know. How do you know? Is the head gasket such an expensive thing to do on my prowler as it is on normal cars? (Been there, not done that..).
I'm sure you already checked you air cleaner/if it was the head gasket you would be losing antifreeze.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My air filter and box was as clean it could be. My coolant was as well on top were it should be at my radiator.
The dealer had lots to do, so they probably wont look at it before next week.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
No Coolant loss can rule out the head gasket. If you were having coolant in the cylinder, the spark plug would be white! Result of steam in the combustion chamber! Keep us updated!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts