Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front diff has had a slow leak for quite some time. I just checked the level again, and it really hasn't lost much fluid. About a second after I added to the fill hole, it started coming out the oil fill level hole. I've looked it over and don't see any cracks. It seems to be coming from the between the two halves, so I figure it's a gasket issue. Tried torquing down the bolts, but they are pretty tight. Aside from taking it out, tearing it apart and replacing the gasket, is there a stop-leak product that I might try first? At this point it's just an annoyance, but want it fixed.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you over filling? My service manual says fill to 1 inch below fill plug threads.
I don't think that is the problem. There are two plugs on the side, one is the fill hole and the other says "oil level". I took them both out, then added in the fill hole until it ran out of the "oil level" hole.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I don't think that is the problem. There are two plugs on the side, one is the fill hole and the other says "oil level". I took them both out, then added in the fill hole until it ran out of the "oil level" hole.
years ago arctic cat had a bulletin out to fill 1'' below fill hole.dont sound like is why yours is leaking,I would not add any kind of stop leak.take and rough up where it is leaking and run you a swipe of jb weld where it is leaking at and let it set a few days,,,,,Pretty sure that will keep it from leaking,or you can tear it apart and install a new gasket,I had a leak between the two engine cases where the gasket is i fixed it with jb weld and still dont leak a drop and thats been 3 years ago...............I also just fixed a leaking base gasket on a Quad and fixed the problem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's not a bad idea. I'll probably try that.

Checked out the part diagram and it doesn't really have a gasket, just an o-ring. I don't know if stop-leak would work for that anyway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
That's not a bad idea. I'll probably try that.

Checked out the part diagram and it doesn't really have a gasket, just an o-ring. I don't know if stop-leak would work for that anyway.
Give that a try and see what it does ....just might keep you from tearing it apart.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced the axle seals tonight. What a PITA it is to remove the axles on this unit. COuldn't do it by myself, had to have a friend help with the push/pull. Will see if that fixes my leak.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My front diff was leaking, when I had it rebuilt there was a hairline crack so the dealer JB welded the crack and around it. Hasn't leaked a drop since.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My front diff was leaking, when I had it rebuilt there was a hairline crack so the dealer JB welded the crack and around it. Hasn't leaked a drop since.
Interesting. I was going to try this before taking the front diff out. Another member said these are notorious for those seals going bad. I couldn't really tell for sure since I had to pretty much destroy them to get them out. I can't see the source of the leak. Hopefully this does it. If not, it'll have to come out and I'll get a real close look.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'm going on 6,000 miles plus and I have not had any differential leaks yet! I did add additional bladders to both the front and rear diffs. , not sure if it helps but can't hurt! I took one bladder off after a ride, damn I didn't think it would ever quit spouting hot lube! Trace amounts show up after a really hard ride, but no drops on pavement. I think over filling is the main cause for leaks. Some have added a catch can breather setup to the rear.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Interesting. I was going to try this before taking the front diff out. Another member said these are notorious for those seals going bad. I couldn't really tell for sure since I had to pretty much destroy them to get them out. I can't see the source of the leak. Hopefully this does it. If not, it'll have to come out and I'll get a real close look.
If it's leaking between the case Half's rough that area up real good with sand paper and put some JB weld on it and let it set for 24 hours,it will fix it......1'' below the fill hole with fluid.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's leaking between the case Half's rough that area up real good with sand paper and put some JB weld on it and let it set for 24 hours,it will fix it......1'' below the fill hole with fluid.
10-4. BTW, maybe they changed this at some point, but my front diff has a fill plug and an oil level plug. Basically you take both out, add diff fluid to the top hole until fluid comes out the oil level hole. Easy peasy.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Now here it is at 5:55 in the morning and you are making me go out in the garage to look at mine! LOL

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Now here it is at 5:55 in the morning and you are making me go out in the garage to look at mine! LOL
ya and too early for you ??? got the coffee on it's 4:00 here and I've been up for an hour and a half :)

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I'm getting lazy in my old age! Normal wake up is 0500! When I worked I was up at 3:00 am every day!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Looked at my XTX, there is a boss on the casting for a plug, but it is above the fill plug! But the differentials in an HDX are turned backwards to the XTX models because the motors are reversed, so the boss would be in the right location.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I'm getting lazy in my old age! Normal wake up is 0500! When I worked I was up at 3:00 am every day!
I was raised on a dairy farm , never broke the early up habit

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
When I worked at the Hospital, it seemed like it was a 24/7 job, never could leave it at work! Having 3 departments to oversee, and building projects to fill in the spare time kept me up most nights! Glad I retired before I wore myself out!

·
Registered
177 Posts
10-4. BTW, maybe they changed this at some point, but my front diff has a fill plug and an oil level plug. Basically you take both out, add diff fluid to the top hole until fluid comes out the oil level hole. Easy peasy.
going out to check mine,never noticed the oil level plug

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I cannot remember who on here suggested the axle seals, but pat yerself on the back, as that was the problem. No more leak!!! Thank you!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts