Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has started... might take a few weeks, but it's on....

From this...

To this in 4 hours....

During the tear down, we found a cracked and bent upper shock mount as well as several loose bolts on the chassis. No Soup For You Arctic Cat....

The project will be a full tube cage built to SCORE and BITD rules. Hope to have it done and tested in time for the Vegas to Reno BITD in August.

·
Registered
861 Posts
man/... you know what Daryl..i just lowered my seats following your pics and you wouldnt believe the missing and lose crap i found on my car.....i agree..no soup for AC...:eek:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
man/... you know what Daryl..i just lowered my seats following your pics and you wouldnt believe the missing and lose crap i found on my car.....i agree..no soup for AC...:eek:
I found bolts that are accessible only when you tear down the car to the chassis that were loose. It makes me think that my XTZ was made on a Friday afternoon when the assembly line folks were thinking about going home already.
I will say though, when I raced motocross many years back, it was common to buy a new bike, take it home and put on all the go fast goodies, then tear it down and reassemble it with locktite.

I'm glad I decided to go ahead and do the race build now rather than running it for a year in stock class. Between the ball-joint/hub pulling apart, the bent and cracked upper shock mount and the loose bolts, I was driving an 80mph, self disentigrating buggy.

But I still love my Prowler. It's fast, handles good and outdoes most of the competiton in several areas. Now if AC would just start building them the way we do. I'm sure that Todd, Chris, the other Chris, Johnny or myself would be happy to let AC know what works and what is totally %*$&ed up.

·
Registered
861 Posts
btw ...thanks for the detailed pix on the seat lowering. Just enough to get me started in the right direction and still have a removable subframe for access. Still not sure what she will look like when i get the plastics back on though, since i relocated a few things,...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I also found all kinds of loose or missing hardware when I tore mine down after 100mi. I posted about it and I was told I must have got a bad one. Ya right.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hey Split, can you pass those detailed photos on to me of the seat lowering. Cat n hat is helping as well as Dusty, but any pics are good and im tearing mine down as we speak.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Daryl has them posted in a 9 page thread on his cage...i also have some from my build if you want...couple posted in gallery as well..pm me your email addy and i will shoot them over. Split

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I found bolts that are accessible only when you tear down the car to the chassis that were loose. It makes me think that my XTZ was made on a Friday afternoon when the assembly line folks were thinking about going home already.
I will say though, when I raced motocross many years back, it was common to buy a new bike, take it home and put on all the go fast goodies, then tear it down and reassemble it with locktite.

I'm glad I decided to go ahead and do the race build now rather than running it for a year in stock class. Between the ball-joint/hub pulling apart, the bent and cracked upper shock mount and the loose bolts, I was driving an 80mph, self disentigrating buggy.

But I still love my Prowler. It's fast, handles good and outdoes most of the competiton in several areas. Now if AC would just start building them the way we do. I'm sure that Todd, Chris, the other Chris, Johnny or myself would be happy to let AC know what works and what is totally %*$&ed up.
I would love to head up to AC head quarters with some of the members here and discuss basic engineering 101 with these guys. No doubt!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darryl do you have any pics of the ball joint mod?
Not yet, I haven't had a chance to do much this week, work has kept me slammed. But I hope to get some photos done in the next week.
I used a 7/16 drill and opened up the hole a bit. Then I installed a 2inch-7/16 grade 8 bolt that went all the way through. I made sure the mating surface of both sides were flat to the bolt head and locknut (flanged). The bolt had a smooth surface that went out far enough to engage the groove in the ball joint spindle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
man you have alot of work ahead of you, I am new to this site and I would sure like to see some of those pics about the seat lowering everyone is talking about thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
Darryl how is the project coming? Can we see some pics?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We haven't had time to do a lot to it lately, work has really picked up and after the past 8 months being so slow, we're taking advantage of it (gotta keep that money coming in so we can afford to do this build).
But we have spent quite a bit of time designing and redesigning as well as reinforcing much of the frame.
But we are on line with having it ready for a couple of minor races in June (mainly as test runs). Look for a build up on it in a couple of online news and blog sites this summer. Also, we'll be annoucing our new list of sponsors for the car in a the coming weeks.
Things should settle down soon for us and hopefully we can get focused on the build again.

·
Registered
338 Posts

I found loose bolts and little **** wrong on my 650 when I got it back in 06, nothing new I guess. They hired some people with ADD that should be pushing brooms not working the line.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found loose bolts and little **** wrong on my 650 when I got it back in 06, nothing new I guess. They hired some people with ADD that should be pushing brooms not working the line.
The assembly line uses automatic, torque sensing, computer controlled wrenches to tighten down everything. I'm not sure it's the best way to do it.
I've found dozens of bolts loose on my XTZ, from fuel tank brackets to steering shaft brackets, to driveline mating bolts. But then again, I've run the hell out of my machine. I automatically just loosen the bolts and re-torque them or in some cases, loctite them.

The chassis design as we have it so far, with 13 inches of ground clearance, comes to a total height of 65 inches at the very top of the roll cage. The wheelbase is stretched 7 inches (82 inches), but uses the original frame backbone and A-arm mounting points. We've swept the A-arms to achieve this. Width it now at 72 inches. The seat bottoms are at a total height of 4 inches off the orginal height of the floor now. With the wheelbase lengthened, we were able to stretch the driver's area for better drive comfort. The new cage and chassis bracing comes out to close to 200ft of 1.5" DOM tubing. We have to end up with a final weight of machine, fuel, driver/navigator and tools at over 2100lbs for our class.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sounds good. Thanks for the update.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts