Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i had a fun beginning to my long weekend. last weekend i threw a new wheel bearing into my pass side front wheel. everything went together really good but i couldnt get the key into the axle so i just hit the nut with an impact a little more, just enough to get the key into it. the threads did look a little rough on the axle when i took it off but i figured i was over analyzing it. well i fired it up and took off this weekend with my girlfriend and her 5 month old grandson. since he was with it was buckle everything and double check and triple check, then keep the speeds down. well then it happened. we were driving down the side of the highway at 25 mph and all of a sudden it felt like i hit a fairly large hole. i felt it trying to shoot towards the ditch and i fought it and felt like it was still controllable. then i realized i had no brakes. i looked down and my brake pedal hit the floor so i started to realize it was more than just a hole i hit. thats when i saw my front tire bouncing down the ditch. i had always dreaded having something like this happen and of course it had to happen with little man in the rig with us. actually it wasnt as bad as i had pictured it happening. once it started going down the ditch i didnt fight it, just kept it going in a direction it felt controllable. once we stopped, everyone was in good spirits and was actually laughing a little.
long story short, the axle nut stripped off and let go. the wheel kept the hub with the brake on it so my front caliper had alot of gap to fill before i could get brakes again. over all not as bad of an experience as i could have been but i am very happy i was only going 25 when it happened. looking back at the threads and hitting it again with the impact, i will be just scrapping the axle next time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
crazy! Glad your ok. I would have tried same thing!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts