Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking at buoying new "toy hauler" and have been looking a lot at the new ford with the ecoboost engine... Does anybody have any experience with these truck and engines? Any opinions?

Any thoughts appreciated,
Mitch

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
toys

are you buying a toy hauler and a truck to pull it or you just buying a truck.:)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I am not a Ford guy but I have to say I am impressed with this motor. I just sold my 2005 Chevy 2500HD and am in the market for a new truck as well. I just went for a test drive in the GMC/Chevy 3500 and the Dodge Ram 3500 and the Ford F350 dually.I have to say it's not easy to admit but i might buy the Ford.

This should help your confidence in the eco boost motor....

·
Registered
618 Posts
Know a guy that bougt one. He loved the fuel mileage when not towing but soon as he hooked up to a trailer his mileage sucked. He was towing a small low profile enclosed for 3 sleds or his 16 ft. boat.

He had it about 6 months and dumped it, traded off on a used diesel for pulling power.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
flying121,how come you sold your 2500 HD,i got a 2004 and love it.not great on gas,but i knew that when i bought it.only 32000 miles.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
flying121,how come you sold your 2500 HD,i got a 2004 and love it.not great on gas,but i knew that when i bought it.only 32000 miles.
I bought my 2005 2500HD with the 6.6 Duramax brand new in 2005. I have never had a single issue with it. It has 89,000 easy miles on it. It was a very custom truck with Escalade door handles, high dollar stereo, wheels, lift, Amp retractable steps, extra radiator called the rad mod 2, air bags, Edge comp, train horns and the list goes on and on. The truck was broken into several time and it cost me lot's of time and money to fix the damage and replace my stuff. I am at the point in life where I want a nearly bone stock truck so thieves don't see it as a target so much. I like to get something new about every 7 to 10 years so it is time to move on. I am not so happy with GM after the way they handled payback on the bail out money. I know Ford and Dodge took some bail out as well but those two companies managed the pay back in a different way and seem to be doing just fine. I have and alway will be a Chevy guy but I am looking at my options right now and all 3 of the majors have nice trucks and nearly identical prices in the 1 ton category. I am going to take my time on this one. I will miss my truck since I put some much into it and it was good to me. By the way my gas milage was pretty good in the diesel truck I think I averaged 17 mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for posting the vids Todd, I think I am going to go with the eco. I don't do a lot of heavy hauling, just my prowle and my snowmobiles so I think this engine would be a good choice for me.. and I got a killer deal on a 12 fx4 with way to many options! hahah.. Let us know what you end up buying and I'll do the same.. thanks for all the input guys

Mitch

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
nice looking unit,mines all black,reg cab long bed it just now has 32000 miles,still has same bottle of washer fluid in it from when it was new,i just puddle jump around in a ZX3 ford focus,one of these days i will sit down and figure out how to do pictures. wife said it has to last 20 years at this rate it might.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i test drove the ecoboost before i bought my superduty powerstroke, the ecoboost motors are frickin monsters, throw some tuning at them and youll be amazed, i just went with the powerstroke because im an international harvester kinda guy, i went with a 7.3 liter and put 40" tires and a 12" lift under it and can still pull all the hills outside of phoenix at 70mph no problem with power to spare, plus i had always wanted a diesel and my dad has worked for international for 35 years and i have a 76 scout II on 44's that me and him built in high school for my first car :cool: but back to the subject either buy the ecoboost, a 7.3l or a new 6.7l ford diesel, i wouldnt own anything else in the ford lineup

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
i test drove the ecoboost before i bought my superduty powerstroke, the ecoboost motors are frickin monsters, throw some tuning at them and youll be amazed, i just went with the powerstroke because im an international harvester kinda guy, i went with a 7.3 liter and put 40" tires and a 12" lift under it and can still pull all the hills outside of phoenix at 70mph no problem with power to spare, plus i had always wanted a diesel and my dad has worked for international for 35 years and i have a 76 scout II on 44's that me and him built in high school for my first car :cool: but back to the subject either buy the ecoboost, a 7.3l or a new 6.7l ford diesel, i wouldnt own anything else in the ford lineup
You are 100% correct and thanks for pointing that out. The 7.3 liter is a great motor. I know guys that sold their 7.3 trucks and they bought the 6.0 and some the 6.4 Ford motored truck and had to get rid of them or deal with the issues. Ford lost a lot of customers to Chevy and Dodge over the 6.0 and the 6.4 liter junk. The new 6.7 since 2011 is rock solid from my research. We have all bought things that we wish we hadn't and it's never the consumers fault because the marketing can make a dog turd look good. I am going to take my time on this investment for sure.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You are 100% correct and thanks for pointing that out. The 7.3 liter is a great motor. I know guys that sold their 7.3 trucks and they bought the 6.0 and some the 6.4 Ford motored truck and had to get rid of them or deal with the issues. Ford lost a lot of customers to Chevy and Dodge over the 6.0 and the 6.4 liter junk. The new 6.7 since 2011 is rock solid from my research. We have all bought things that we wish we hadn't and it's never the consumers fault because the marketing can make a dog turd look good. I am going to take my time on this investment for sure.
ive done the bulletproof kit and headstuds on 3 of my buddies trucks, if you can get the truck with a 6.0 get it for 5,000 less than what theyre asking because youre going to have to do it at some point, parts alone for everything are about 3,000, the rest is either beer money for youre friend to do it or you have too pay labor to install, id just pay the extra and get a 7.3 or the 6.7, but like flying121 said every manufacturer has its own problems, but the ecoboost is a great proven motor if you wanted a gasser. the newer oil burners have all of the emissions stuff and those alone can cause very expensive issues, even internally in the motors. if you buy new make sure to get a good warranty :)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
ive done the bulletproof kit and headstuds on 3 of my buddies trucks, if you can get the truck with a 6.0 get it for 5,000 less than what theyre asking because youre going to have to do it at some point, parts alone for everything are about 3,000, the rest is either beer money for youre friend to do it or you have too pay labor to install, id just pay the extra and get a 7.3 or the 6.7, but like flying121 said every manufacturer has its own problems, but the ecoboost is a great proven motor if you wanted a gasser. the newer oil burners have all of the emissions stuff and those alone can cause very expensive issues, even internally in the motors. if you buy new make sure to get a good warranty :)
Good advice!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I wish Ford would have designed the F150 Raptor to be able to tow more then 6k. I would have bought one if it could pull a 10k trailer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wish Ford would have designed the F150 Raptor to be able to tow more then 6k. I would have bought one if it could pul a 10k trailer.
they just held the raptor roundup at firebird raceway, if youve never been you should go, beat on factory ford trucks on the loors track and not worry about breaking it because its not yours ;). The problem with a half ton truck and a 5 ton load becomes more of a safety issue, sure it would pull it but i sure as hell wouldnt want to be in the cab of the truck while doing it, its crazy the towing capacity and payloads of the big 3 diesels now 20,000 lbs is nothing for these things.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
they just held the raptor roundup at firebird raceway, if youve never been you should go, beat on factory ford trucks on the loors track and not worry about breaking it because its not yours ;). The problem with a half ton truck and a 5 ton load becomes more of a safety issue, sure it would pull it but i sure as hell wouldnt want to be in the cab of the truck while doing it, its crazy the towing capacity and payloads of the big 3 diesels now 20,000 lbs is nothing for these things.
Shoot I missed it. Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hey guy.. just wanted to share my baby with you... I was going to buy an F250 but then remembered I wanted a real truck (lol..joking)... It was actually more based on what I could afford...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hey guy.. just wanted to share my baby with you... I was going to buy an F250 but then remembered I wanted a real truck (lol..joking)... It was actually more based on what I could afford...
That's a bad ass looking Chevy. You have good taste sir.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts