Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got a cut in the side wall right where it meets the tread. Two tire shops have looked at it and will not patch it. Says it won't hold. So, I think I'm tire shopping.

I'm looking for an all purpose tire. They'll need to stand up to gravel roads. Some dirt and mud of course. I think I like the Big Horns 2.0? Anybody know anything about the GBC Grim Reapers? What you got?

·
Registered
282 Posts
buddy has the big horns on his wheeler. They are a terrible mud tire, but for an all around tire they are hard to beat. my 2cent

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
try a plug or two or three … BTDT and got the T shirt

I have a plugged spare that was plugged a LONG time ago , it has been on the ground and not a spare still holding air just fine with 3 plugs in the spot … what ya got to loose now ?

grim reapers are a overall good choice .. someone told me Costco on line has there also, worth a look

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
buddy has the big horns on his wheeler. They are a terrible mud tire, but for an all around tire they are hard to beat. my 2cent
I wondered about that. Doesn't look like they'd clean out very well in the mud. I don't plan on mudding much with this thing, so that's on the low end of the priorities. My problem is that those are some of the most expensive tires I've seen.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
try a plug or two or three … BTDT and got the T shirt

I have a plugged spare that was plugged a LONG time ago , it has been on the ground and not a spare still holding air just fine with 3 plugs in the spot … what ya got to loose now ?

grim reapers are a overall good choice .. someone told me Costco on line has there also, worth a look
Thanks. I might just try that. The gash is about 3/4" long and mostly in the sidewall. Might look like fcukpie by the time I'm done, but if it holds, who cares right? I really didn't want to buy tires just yet. Got some other expenses coming up on a basement remodel. Wished I had thought about that since I was just at Farm & Fleet tonight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sidewalls are usually non-repairable, but if you're not ready to buy new ones just stitch it up the best you can and put a tube in it. That will get you by for a long time.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sidewalls are usually non-repairable, but if you're not ready to buy new ones just stitch it up the best you can and put a tube in it. That will get you by for a long time.
I think I can find a tube. What do you mean by stitch it up? Never seen that done, but willing to try anything at this point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you think the split has the potential to get worse either patch it or punch a series of holes on each side and tie it up with something stout. Really heavy braided fishing line actually works wonders.
The back pressure from the tube combined with the flex of driving on it may make it split worse.
The tire shop may have a patch that is tough enough to hold up. A buddy of mine did that with his Ranger tire and then tubed it. That was a year ago and he's still running it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well, got a cut in the side wall right where it meets the tread. Two tire shops have looked at it and will not patch it. Says it won't hold. So, I think I'm tire shopping.

I'm looking for an all purpose tire. They'll need to stand up to gravel roads. Some dirt and mud of course. I think I like the Big Horns 2.0? Anybody know anything about the GBC Grim Reapers? What you got?
Check out your local SAMs club they now carry Greenball tires. If you ask them about Gbc they'll look at you like they are stupid even though it's the same company. They will carry the gbc dirt tamer which is their version of the big horn. For a fraction the cost.

As for the 2.0s I love them seem to be wearing great. They clean very well they are a great all around tire. I do wish the design was a lil more aggressive for the mud. Snow doesn't seem to be an issue at all either. I would most def buy another set.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I second the Big Horns! Mine are really wearing great! Second year on them and I think I can get 2-3 more years out of them!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a pic of my puncture. Am I being unreasonable that they could have at least attempted a patch? I'm not asking them to guarantee it. I just want to get a few months more out of this tire before I upgrade. I'm going to try a vulcanizing patch and then put a tube in it. The dude at the tire shop said to do the tubes in pairs, otherwise they might squat differently. Since this one is rated at 20psi (and not 4 like an ATV), I'm just going to try the one tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bummer, which tire - front or rear?

Do you know how it happened?

I would patch the inside, super glue the crap out of it on the outside. Then go to a tube if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
plug it dang it , it works .. use plenty of the cement when ya do it :) …. seen much worse work for long time

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bummer, which tire - front or rear?

Do you know how it happened?

I would patch the inside, super glue the crap out of it on the outside. Then go to a tube if it doesn't work.
I think I did it riding the creek (or as we say, the crick).

I tell ya what, that is some mighty thin rubber. That's probably why they don't think it can be repaired. By the time you grind it down, it's gonna be real thin. I ended up buying some vulcanizing glue and patches from the local hardware store. It's off the rim, so figured I'd give it a shot. Otherwise, Ida tried to plug it.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think I did it riding the creek (or as we say, the crick).

I tell ya what, that is some mighty thin rubber. That's probably why they don't think it can be repaired. By the time you grind it down, it's gonna be real thin. I ended up buying some vulcanizing glue and patches from the local hardware store. It's off the rim, so figured I'd give it a shot. Otherwise, Ida tried to plug it.

Thanks for all the replies.
Since you already have the tire dismounted.

Try a large patch plug combo. Use a grinding wheel in a air grinder and grind the inside down. Once you have it smooth. Squirt a nice coat of good rubber cleaner on it and wipe clean with a clean rag. Then apply the rubber cement to the tire and allow it to dry for about 10 seconds before pulling the combo through and then role it out. And you'll be good to go. Patch plug combos is the best thing to use. Due to the double duty. Not only does it plug the hole it patches it from the inside as well. I have never seen one leak in the several years that I did tire work.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since you already have the tire dismounted.

Try a large patch plug combo. Use a grinding wheel in a air grinder and grind the inside down. Once you have it smooth. Squirt a nice coat of good rubber cleaner on it and wipe clean with a clean rag. Then apply the rubber cement to the tire and allow it to dry for about 10 seconds before pulling the combo through and then role it out. And you'll be good to go. Patch plug combos is the best thing to use. Due to the double duty. Not only does it plug the hole it patches it from the inside as well. I have never seen one leak in the several years that I did tire work.
I'm familiar with those from my days working at the truck stop.

nice tires thanks for sharing.:)
My daughter needs tires for her 4X4 truck, I'll tell her to check your site.
I've purchased from Discount tire online before, and had a very good experience. I bought my Coopers from them. Called first and they were very helpful on the phone. Even bought a couple ATV tires from them. Pricing was good, service great, shipped quickly. You won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I'm familiar with those from my days working at the truck stop.

I've purchased from Discount tire online before, and had a very good experience. I bought my Coopers from them. Called first and they were very helpful on the phone. Even bought a couple ATV tires from them. Pricing was good, service great, shipped quickly. You won't be disappointed.
I have Cooper on my truck, I think she's leaning toward Nitto I see they carry them also.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts