Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm new to the site. I'm looking at possibly buying a used Prowler and need your help. I'm not sure of the year yet, but I think it is the first year they came out (not sure when that was).

Anyway, the Prowler has an issue with the transmission. Friend thinks the output shaft might be stripped out, but he isn't 100% sure without taking it apart. I was just trying to get an idea of the cost to have something like this repaired by a shop? And what it might cost me to do myself? Is this a pretty big undertaking? I've never worked on one before, but I am mechanically inclined (do most of my own vehicle maintenance and repairs). Any help is greatly appreciated.....

Last question. Are you guys happy with your Prowlers? Are there any issues with the first year Prowlers that would be a reason to stay away from them?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Welcome to the site out west. The first year was 06. And that should be a 650.
A couple of things it could be,
1. Primary clutch with stripped out splines in the steel hub. Relatively cheap and easy to do yourself.
2. Broken belt. Again relatively cheap and easy to do yourself.
3. Broken bevel gear. Kinda pricey and a pretty good set of tools and knowledge needed.
These are just a few things that could be wrong. Just throwing stuff out there. I do have a few used parts for trannies.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the site out west. The first year was 06. And that should be a 650.
A couple of things it could be,
1. Primary clutch with stripped out splines in the steel hub. Relatively cheap and easy to do yourself.
2. Broken belt. Again relatively cheap and easy to do yourself.
3. Broken bevel gear. Kinda pricey and a pretty good set of tools and knowledge needed.
These are just a few things that could be wrong. Just throwing stuff out there. I do have a few used parts for trannies.
Thanks Chris. Peoria, AZ. That is where I grew up......

Broken bevel gear. How pricey is that? I'm going to check out the Prowler tomorrow. Is there any way at quick glance to know what is possibly going on? The Prowler is owned by my friend, and he bought it from a mutual friend of ours that sold a bunch of his toys and moved out of state. My friend had the intensions of fixing it, but just has too many other things going on and could use the money. So he has offered it to me. What is a reasonable price for an '06 Prowler with a broken tranny?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Well in my opinion if it was not broke it might be worth 6-7 grand if it was clean and low mileage. So I would have to say with the bevel gear repair costing 14-18 hundred on the high side at a dealer I would deduct somewhere in that ballpark just in case I had to take it in a get a dealer to do it. However seeing how you really don't know what is actually wrong I would say it could be as much as lets say 2-2500 to fix. So if it was worth lets say 6500 cause it had relatively low miles and was descent looking Personally I would really be forcing myself to pay 4000 with it broke and not knowing what it is. The whole motor could be trashed in the case as far as the transmission part of it is concerned. The motor might still run. But the case could be trashed and no good to fix the tranny.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I imagine to find out exactly what it is, it will require quite a bit of effort to tear into it, correct? No easy way to tell? I'm almost positive it isn't the belt. I'm sure if it was something that easy, our mutual friend would have fixed it long ago.

Does anybody have a rough idea of what a shop would charge to "diagnose" the problem? I'm thinking of having a shop determine the issue and give me a quote before I decide to buy. I would like to do the work myself, but it would be nice to know of the exact problem before throwing down a bunch of cash.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the first year 650 and love it. They are making them with more HP but keep sticking with my 650. Great car and so far 3200 miles of trouble free fun. General maintenance and a few repairs but nothing to stay away from. What part of the west are you from?
Lived in AZ my whole life (Peoria and Surprise) until I moved up to northern UT for work about 5 years ago..... Thanks for the feedback on the Prowler.....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out West. I have a 2008 700 XTX i just put up for sale $7300 OBO. Just put it on KSL.com. I too am located in norther Utah

That is a nice looking machine. Why are you selling it?

I've been wanting a UTV for a long time. Just hasn't been in the budget or a priority for the wife. Only reason we were considering buying one now because of the one my friend offered to sell me at a discounted price because of the tranny issue. I wish I had more money to get yours because it looks really nice....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the timeline history of the Prowlers? I guess they came out in 2006 with the carbureted 650. How long did they stay with the 650? I know at some point they went to a fuel injected 700 I guess, and now I see they have 1000's. Can somebody educate me on the Prowler history?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Out West. I have a 2008 700 XTX i just put up for sale $7300 OBO. Just put it on KSL.com. I too am located in norther Utah

That is a nice looking machine. Why are you selling it?

I've been wanting a UTV for a long time. Just hasn't been in the budget or a priority for the wife. Only reason we were considering buying one now because of the one my friend offered to sell me at a discounted price because of the tranny issue. I wish I had more money to get yours because it looks really nice....
I'm clearing out in anticipation for the new one, I also have a 2007 650 h1 I may be selling (4 wheeler). Got to raise the money so I can pay cash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anybody have a rough idea of what a shop would charge to "diagnose" the problem? I'm thinking of having a shop determine the issue and give me a quote before I decide to buy. I would like to do the work myself, but it would be nice to know of the exact problem before throwing down a bunch of cash.
In order to diagnose the Dealer will have to disassemble the unit and inspect the cases and all components. This will take time and they will charge for it. My guess would be in the 4 hour range. The problem will be if they know you wont have them fix it they wont be as careful and the box of parts you get at the end will likely be a jigsaw puzzle. Sandchris makes a very valid point in the fact that the cases may be bad and a new unit will be required to fix the problem. We have sold dozens of the H1 motors and havent had any catastrophic failures of the trans assm. We have had a few that broke a toothe off a gear and got noisy but they still were driveable. If you can do general maintenance it will be in your best interest to disassemble the clutches and verify the problem is internal. If in fact it is internal they are not impossble to work on and you should be able to do it with the service manual. If I were trying to buy the unit Id be offering 2500 to 3500 tops.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In order to diagnose the Dealer will have to disassemble the unit and inspect the cases and all components. This will take time and they will charge for it. My guess would be in the 4 hour range. The problem will be if they know you wont have them fix it they wont be as careful and the box of parts you get at the end will likely be a jigsaw puzzle. Sandchris makes a very valid point in the fact that the cases may be bad and a new unit will be required to fix the problem. We have sold dozens of the H1 motors and havent had any catastrophic failures of the trans assm. We have had a few that broke a toothe off a gear and got noisy but they still were driveable. If you can do general maintenance it will be in your best interest to disassemble the clutches and verify the problem is internal. If in fact it is internal they are not impossble to work on and you should be able to do it with the service manual. If I were trying to buy the unit Id be offering 2500 to 3500 tops.
Thanks for the info Frogfarmer. Unfortunately I have not been able to look at the machine yet to see if it is worth considering. My friend who is selling it wrecked on his ATV and is busted up pretty good in the hospital...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I recently done the bevel gear upgrade, it is alot of work, and you need to be more than a little mechanically minded. It is expensive, and for me, if I had my time back, I would have simply opted for a new motor......$2000. At least then you know where you're to, as far as the condition of the motor is concerned.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recently done the bevel gear upgrade, it is alot of work, and you need to be more than a little mechanically minded. It is expensive, and for me, if I had my time back, I would have simply opted for a new motor......$2000. At least then you know where you're to, as far as the condition of the motor is concerned.
Thanks for the input.....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I heard this second hand (so don't know how accurate it is), but I was told the original owner was driving uphill and forgot that the emergency brake was on. It was during or after this that it broke. What would be the likely thing to break (transmission related) doing something like this?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Does it start and run?

If it does...

Put it in gear .... any noise from trans?

Give it gas.... what happens?

Any noise or smell of burning rubber?

What will it do?
What wont it do?

Need more info to help. You could just have a munched belt.
It would take a first timer about 1hr to get the belt cover off without air tools.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does it start and run?

If it does...

Put it in gear .... any noise from trans?

Give it gas.... what happens?

Any noise or smell of burning rubber?

What will it do?
What wont it do?

Need more info to help. You could just have a munched belt.
It would take a first timer about 1hr to get the belt cover off without air tools.
The last I heard was that it started and ran fine (except for the transmission), but for some reason the original owner took the carburetor off (so right now it won't run until that is put back together). Not sure why he took that off. I'm going to look at the machine this weekend. So hopefully I'll get a better understanding of what is going on with it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I went and looked at the Prowler today. Looks in good shape (a little dusty from sitting for two years), but it looks like it is in good condition. The original owner took the top of the motor off (air box, carburetor, etc.) in order to take the motor out, but never got around to finishing it. He also had the belt cover off, and the belt looked fine. The Prowler obviously won't start and run right now with those parts off, but I heard that it was running fine prior to tearing it apart.

Supposedly he was climbing a hill and forgot he had the emergency brake on. Then the machine just stopped. Engine still ran, but the machine would not go anywhere.

I wish I could start it and give you guys more details, but I can't. Based off of the little bit of info I just gave you, any ideas on what likely broke under those conditions?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Worst case is bevel gear.
Don't know what the brake would have to do with it though.

Worst case $ 2k new engine.
You could sell remaining good parts. And yes there is a market if you watch some of the other forums. I have sold used head, wet clutch and basket, timming chain, cam, crank shaft, primary and secondary clutches.
you can part that motor out and come out real nice and have a new engine in yours.

If you sell off the old parts you would only be out 1k.

If you get it and decide to go that route I can e-mail you some links to other forums where you can list your parts as well as here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts