Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought this prowler used and it was full of anti freeze, like it should be but ever since i owned it im loosing some out the overflow tube and it tends to run down my frame. i bounce off a lot of rocks and it does not overheat it runs awesome. does this happen to alot of you guys... oppinions please

·
Registered
618 Posts
Not sure what machine you have but the radiator will find it's own level, if you are filling it cold, it's going to expand when hot and flow out.

Leave it be and check the level now and then, I'll bet you'll notice once it reaches the level it needs to be your leakage will stop.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i havent filled yet i am hoping it will find a level but i dident realize it would splash out when rock crawling i dident think it was a big deal just though i would ask thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
i bought this prowler used and it was full of anti freeze, like it should be but ever since i owned it im loosing some out the overflow tube and it tends to run down my frame. i bounce off a lot of rocks and it does not overheat it runs awesome. does this happen to alot of you guys... oppinions please
I had a similar issue loosing coolant until I had the engine headgaskets replaced. When it would get hot it puked out collant from the overflow tube... I had a temp gauge installed and noticed the it would get hot occassionally. Are you having to refill the coolant or are you just loosing a little?

This seemed to be an issue with the 2009 XTZ and AC replaced the type of headgasket initially being used.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like a weak cap to me. Got any buddies that have a prowler you can try their cap? My 650 never had any coolant out the overflow.
Wouldn't hurt to try that as well... The factory cap was pretty weak. We tried that as part of the inital troubleshooting of mine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well maybe i dident explain enough but nothing is leaking out the cap its just the occasional rough ride where some "pukes" out the clear overflow tube. i dont beleive its overheating. could you please explain why you guys think its a cap issue and where i can pick up a better one mine is a 07 650 and like seth said knock on wood but the only problem i have with it is that stupid brake/gear chatter on real steep down hill decents when im on the brake.....

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd seriously see if it continues to do it after it finds it's level. If I remember right my 08 650 sat just below the top of the fins when you looked down the cap

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Can I make a suggestion for you? Take a look at your cap. Now take a look at the inside of the radiator where the cap seats. You see that hole that connects to the nipple that your over flow tube is hooked up to? The only way something is gonna come out that tube is if the pressure of the cooling system can push hard enough on that cap to get by the seal and out the overflow. There is three things that I know of that can cause that. A overheat situation where the coolant is so hot it has enough pressure to overcome the preset tension on your cap while it is seated. Or a leaking head gasket that is getting combustion pressure in the cooling system. That is enough pressure to overcome the cap. Or third A week cap that is not holding the pressure it should. The second one is easy to check for. There are kits for checking the coolant. The third one is the easiest to fix being that you only have to replace the cap. Those are the only things that I can think of that would have anything to do with the seepage. In order for the coolant to come out that hose it has to get by the seal of the cap. Unless you just filled and the coolant is above the seal of the cap already.
well maybe i dident explain enough but nothing is leaking out the cap its just the occasional rough ride where some "pukes" out the clear overflow tube. i dont beleive its overheating. could you please explain why you guys think its a cap issue and where i can pick up a better one mine is a 07 650 and like seth said knock on wood but the only problem i have with it is that stupid brake/gear chatter on real steep down hill decents when im on the brake.....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks i get your point. makes perfect sense now can i get a cap at napa or any where or should i go back to arctic cat. also how do i know if the head gasket is going bad it runs great. and no issues? dont scare me haha

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Oh no don't get scared. Even if it is a head gasket that I doubt. On that one pretty easy to change. If you can find one at napa that is the right psi and that will work it should be fine. I thought someone on here at one time found some after market ones by crossing them. Sorry I cant remeber that. If it were me I would try and see if one of the local auto parts stores can match it up for ya. And give it a try.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
41 Posts
It sounds like the same problem i have had. I have the second prowler 06 650 prowler sold in az and i have done the head gasket twice since. I was told get it hot once and the oem gaskets suck But since updated and it was leaking externaly. the seconed time the fan did not come on and it got hot. but no warp on head or cylinder just gasket blew. You could see the wash marks. i THOUGHT it was the cap also it never ran bad just the same puke here and there

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just a little puke out the clear overflow i only notice it sometimes im going to try the cap replace and see what happens ive never done a head gasket im sure one of you local boys could help if need be nothing a case of beer cant fix... my fan runs a like like im sure all 650s do never had the temp light come on. ive ran it wide open for over 30min before and no complaints and when i say puking out im talking very little and not every ride it goes to the desert almost once every two weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My XT started over heating and puking, ran great until about 50 hrs on the clock. over heated 2x on me and the temp light came on. keep putting fluid in every time I go out to groom with it (we use it to groom our snowmoilble trails) at the dealers now. never thought about the cap!

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
Alb1953

You should think about getting the fan over ride switch so your fan will run all the time with the flip of a switch when you are pulling the groomer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts