Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a 2" snorkel kit, I installed a 142 jet in my carb. I live at 4200 feet. Took it out for a test run today and it seems to lag? Does anybody have any ideas? Top end was ok! 08 650.. I also installed a Vortex silencer in my big gun exhaust, but that shouldn't really make a noticeable difference? Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
DE3 to the Rescue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Does it seem to fall on it's face when you punch it? Makes me wonder if the tall intake is making it starve on air until it gets flowing.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Def talk to de3, he should be able to assist for sure. He will respond back some time today. Probably this morning...

Can you hear it sucking the air through the intake. Cause you shouldn't. Take a piece of duct tape and cover half the hole on the snorkel.
Does it get a little better or little worse? Gets worse you need more air. Gets better needs more fuel. Your main you installed is it bigger or smaller than the one you just replaced.

My Personal opinion is your main jet may be to large. Now that you have added the silencer, being its falling on its face at the bottom. I had the same issues with my 300 Honda during my build up process on it. Main jet was to big. And it was dumping to much fuel in to early. And after it gets to the top it ran pretty good but not tip top. I leaned it out but running a smaller main jet and its a 300 class champ now! Plus just because you added a snorkel doesn't mean you need to change the jets.

The more air that can make it to the throttle body the better. The throttle body then adjusts the amount of air to fuel mixture not your intake inlet. Unless its fuel injected then you may have problems.

Some fuel injected models air boxes double as not only the air box it's self but a blatter for a specific volume of air. And when that volume is changed it may have adverse effects on the performance.

Think of a gun (your engine) and the bullet (your exhaust gas) The noise is not only an explosion but the compression of the bullet against the air. A silencer obsorbs all of the noise and the compression of that bullet. This causes the velocity of the bullet to slow down drastically reducing noise.

And that's what your silencer is doing to your buggy.

Larger intake - no change
High altitudes - run richer (less air)
Silencer air restriction - run richer (more air restriction)
Larger jet - run richer (more fuel)

I hope this can help.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
After installing a 2" snorkel kit, I installed a 142 jet in my carb. I live at 4200 feet. Took it out for a test run today and it seems to lag? Does anybody have any ideas? Top end was ok! 08 650.. I also installed a Vortex silencer in my big gun exhaust, but that shouldn't really make a noticeable difference? Thanks in advance!
Tom Your main jet is to big,trial and error just keep droping down in size,until you get it right,make sure your fuel/air screw is around a turn and a half to two turns out.does it idle good. you might be fine with the stock main jet 132,I would try a in between size first,Tom I have several jets for your carb if your interested I cant use them anymore,you can have them if you want them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom Your main jet is to big,trial and error just keep droping down in size,until you get it right,make sure your fuel/air screw is around a turn and a half to two turns out.does it idle good. you might be fine with the stock main jet 132,I would try in between size first,Tom I have several jets for your carb if your interested I cant use them anymore,you can have them if you want them.
Thanks mike. I will try re jetting. and it does seem to idle a little rougher.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks mike. I will try re jetting. and it does seem to idle a little rougher.
You might get it to Idle better,by adjusting your air/fuel screw,just make sure the buggy is at operating temp before you adjust.I got to thinking that is a tall jet for 4200'

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You might get it to Idle better,by adjusting your air/fuel screw,just make sure the buggy is at operating temp before you adjust.I got to thinking that is a tall jet for 4200'
I run my stock 132 jet at 8000 ft. It doesn't run perfect, but it runs okay. I actually need to probably go with a little smaller jet. So I would say you are probably a little on the rich side.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I run my stock 132 jet at 8000 ft. It doesn't run perfect, but it runs okay. I actually need to probably go with a little smaller jet. So I would say you are probably a little on the rich side.
Shane what is the elevation where you live.I think they put 132 main jets in all the 650's the only thing that was changed was the weight of the cvt rollers,for the different elevations the prowlers were sold at.the higher the elevations the lighter the rollers.my elevation is 0 to 3000' my weights are 23 grams stock.I could be wrong on my thinking.??????????

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I know when I bought my snorkel kit I called the guy that builds them,he told me on the snorkels I bought That I would not have to change jets,he told me all the kits he designs are all tested.P.S. I didn't have to re- jet.But your snorkels are a lot taller than mine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After some research and talking with an A/C parts guy. He said my main jet is 138 (Stock). So to compensate for elevation, i would drop down to a 135. So....since I went to a 2" snorlkel, I should go back up one , which would put me back to a stock 138! Does this sound right to anyone?....If not, Im flying you out here D3 ....lol

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Shane what is the elevation where you live.I think they put 132 main jets in all the 650's the only thing that was changed was the weight of the cvt rollers,for the different elevations the prowlers were sold at.the higher the elevations the lighter the rollers.my elevation is 0 to 3000' my weights are 23 grams stock.I could be wrong on my thinking.??????????
I think I'm around 4000 ft where I live. If I'm driving my Prowler it is usually on a hunt probably anything around 7000-8000 ft elevation. I'm wondering if I should play with my rollers and jets... Just one more time consuming thing. By the time of my elk hunt last year I was so tired of messing with the dang Prowler that I accepted how it was driving while on the hunt. Not a ton of power, but good enough for what I was using it for. At some point I'll be done messing with add-ons that maybe I'll have the time and motivation to tune the engine for optimum performance....:)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
After some research and talking with an A/C parts guy. He said my main jet is 138 (Stock). So to compensate for elevation, i would drop down to a 135. So....since I went to a 2" snorlkel, I should go back up one , which would put me back to a stock 138! Does this sound right to anyone?....If not, Im flying you out here D3 ....lol
Tom you need to pull out your main and look at your jet to make sure it is a 138 I have did a lot of searching and all I have seen Is a 132 main jet for all 650's,you might try what cClark said and tape part of your snorkel up and try that.With a snorkel you are sucking air through a straw.I know on some snorkeled atv's they have to Tee off and run two intake snorkel's.10 to 1 says you need to go smaller on your main.your pilot jet controls your gas flow from idle to just off idle and then your main starts to come in at off idle to full throttle.Have you taken it for a test drive and held it to the floor yet.you can't always go by the looks of the plug either,I have had plugs that are tan to white looking in color and still not take fuel at wide open throttle because the main jet is to big.I have played with the stock cvk and mikuni carb jetting so much I can almost tell at idle if it's right or not.some guys think that since you have a snorkeled intake you have to go bigger on the main,sometimes it's the other way.it's all trial and error,your cvk carb is easy to dial in.try a pumper carb, and start from scratch on the pilot,main,metering rod,and adjusting the pumper.:confused:HANG IN THERE YOU WILL GET IT.:)when that guy gave you a 142 main jet all he did was give you a starting point.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anybody had oil coming out of their magneto cover before?...geesh I cant get a brake. Elk hunting next weekend! Hopefully just the seal?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Has anybody had oil coming out of their magneto cover before?...geesh I cant get a brake. Elk hunting next weekend! Hopefully just the seal?
Where is it leaking from on the cover,you are talking about the passenger side correct.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where is it leaking from on the cover,you are talking about the passenger side correct.
Yes the black cover on passenger side. Has four screws. Was leaking from bottom after i filled it up with oil and ran it! ....

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Yes the black cover on passenger side. Has four screws. Was leaking from bottom after i filled it up with oil and ran it! ....
Shane what seal would be leaking,you have had yours apart.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts