Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 650 prowler making a loud noise that sounds like metal rattling only when under acceleration. Not when in neutral and not when I let off the throttle. It gets worse the faster I go. Any one else have this problem? Easy fix?

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I'd guess clutch rollers, they may be flat spotted. How does it run aside from the noise?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to run fine. This is my first prowler and it seems underpowered but otherwise it runs pretty good.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I'd look at the primary clutch, the rollers are behind the fixed plate. Do you have a service manual? You can download one at "K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts". Also look at the frequently asked questions on this forum, there is a section on the clutches. These things are very sensitive to clutch issues, the 650 has decent power, but if the clutch is wrong, the machine turns into a slug! Many members have upgraded their clutch to the EPI Sports Utility Kit (I did!), also if you have oversize tires your performance will suffer (stock size is Front 9X14X26, Rear 11X14X26. Oversize tires require lighter clutch rollers. Tell us a little more about yourself, where you ride, primary use, interests and so on!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our machine is actually my wife's but we ride in south AR and North Louisiana so needless to say, there's a lot of mud. It's got 28" mud lights on it that aren't that aggressive. We dont plan on dumping it into any huge holes We like to watch everyone else tear their rigs up while we only cruise around! We got a great deal on the Cat but I'd like to make sure everything is in working order before we get stranded on a ride! I'll teat it down and look at the clutches in the next few days and give updates!

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I would guess it has the green rollers in the clutch (I think they are 23 gram), lighter rollers should wake it up! I think a 21 Gram roller would be in the ballpark. If you do the work yourself, be careful with the Primary Clutch nut, they seem to wear out after re-using a couple of times. A new nut runs about 4.00 dollars. I only re-use mine 2 X's, and then I pitch it. This is just my preference, as I lost a fixed plate due to the nut backing off on a ride.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Pic of the Prowler when we first bought it
When you tear it apart,and if it has the green rollers they are 23 grams each thats the total weight of the metal roller and the plastic sleeve,I have a 2006 650 prowler and I went with the EPI set up with the 21 gram rollers it was the sport utility set up with stock tires.you can go lighter on the rollers but you will lose top speed,and gain bottom end.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
You can order from EPI, or Arctic Cat. Part number for the AC rollers would be : 0823-167 21 Gram clutch Rollers (Blue), they run about 25 dollars a set of 8. EPI Rollers are somewhat higher in price as they are a two piece design. The weight, and the outer cover. I think both are good products. I ordered both types as I play with my clutches a lot. The nice part of EPI is if you flat spot one, you can just change the outer cover, the AC rollers are about 1/2 the cost of EPI. I've found both to wear the same. Just my thoughts!

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Now that you mention it! Yes

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Back to the drawing board! Sorry

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
07 650 prowler making a loud noise that sounds like metal rattling only when under acceleration. Not when in neutral and not when I let off the throttle. It gets worse the faster I go. Any one else have this problem? Easy fix?
I hope its not the bevel gears.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine made a noise like this when I picked it up. It turned out the primary clutch was never tightened all the way when the dealer put a new belt on.
it only made the noise when it was in gear as well.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You could pull off your clutch cover and also jack the rear of the Prowler off of the ground and run it lightly. If it is your bevel gears, DO NOT drive it. You can risk cracking your case if it is the bevels. So then you not only have to replace the bevels, but you have to find some new/used cases. New cases will run you $1000. So you will have to hope you can find a good used set. I know all too well about bevel gears....:D

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Bevel gears are inside the case, complete engine teardown is required. Outwest has a pretty good picture album on his.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts