Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally lowered them.. Wasn't even too bad to do.. I'm no master fabricator by any means and it wasn't too bad for me.. I will take some better pics of the bracketry so anyone else that may wanna do this can.. If you can weld halfway decent then you can do this yourself.. Figured I might as well do it while I have the motor all torn down..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not too bad were putting her back together tonight.. Had the heads surfaced and cylinders still looked new.. Hopefully this fixes it once and for all.. Then comes the boost..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Finally lowered them.. Wasn't even too bad to do.. I'm no master fabricator by any means and it wasn't too bad for me.. I will take some better pics of the bracketry so anyone else that may wanna do this can.. If you can weld halfway decent then you can do this yourself.. Figured I might as well do it while I have the motor all torn down..

Ok, first off, please pardon my ignorance, but why do so many people lower their seats?
Is it just to lower the center of gravity, or some other reason?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
hammerbike

Your question is a good one. I believe there are several advantages to lowering your seats. One of those is definitely the lower center of gravity which in return gives you much better lateral handling and stability. This also helps prevent certain roll over situations and makes the vehicle safer. The other reason is comfort for taller drivers or anyone that doesn't want to feel like they are sitting on a booster seat. Once you sit in a side x side with lowered seats you will feel the comfort factor right away. Some drivers disagree (sandchris) and feel that there is to much angle on their knees after lowering the seats. The stock seats just sit a bit to high for most drivers. Lowering the seats has allowed me to fit a very large reclining /forward/backwards adjustable seats into my XTZ. Another advantage is that you can design a roll cage that is much lower and will give you better clearance into trailers or storage building etc. There is more to it then just cutting and welding though. The engine cover and a few other things need modification as well. Do a little research here before attempting the job. I know Johnny at UTV crap does a nice job on the seat lowering so you may want to give him a call. Good luck to you and I hope my thoughts on this help out.

Regards,

·
Registered
291 Posts
For not being a very good fabricator looks like you do good work.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
hammerbike,

I forgot to mention how good the Cat's look after the cage has been lowered. Do a search on Johnny's (UTV Crap) XTZ 1000 and tell me that lowered cage doesn't look tough.

·
Registered
131 Posts
hammerbike

Your question is a good one. I believe there are several advantages to lowering your seats. One of those is definitely the lower center of gravity which in return gives you much better lateral handling and stability. This also helps prevent certain roll over situations and makes the vehicle safer. The other reason is comfort for taller drivers or anyone that doesn't want to feel like they are sitting on a booster seat. Once you sit in a side x side with lowered seats you will feel the comfort factor right away. Some drivers disagree (sandchris) and feel that there is to much angle on their knees after lowering the seats. The stock seats just sit a bit to high for most drivers. Lowering the seats has allowed me to fit a very large reclining /forward/backwards adjustable seats into my XTZ. Another advantage is that you can design a roll cage that is much lower and will give you better clearance into trailers or storage building etc. There is more to it then just cutting and welding though. The engine cover and a few other things need modification as well. Do a little research here before attempting the job. I know Johnny at UTV crap does a nice job on the seat lowering so you may want to give him a call. Good luck to you and I hope my thoughts on this help out.

Regards,
Thank you for your great response! I'm not interested in doing it, I was just curious as to why. I use mine for playin in the woods and muddin. I do think the leg angle would be a concern as I have a 34" inseam and am 6'1" tall. At least now I understand why people are doin it!!
Thank you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I only have one thing to say, more pictures please. I like the way you did the lowering. I was scarred to do it before, I really like the way you did it, it looks a little easier but it also looks like an improvement on the factory setup. It would be a bad thing if you added a bunch of detailed explanation to the the steps you took too. You know I'm just saying.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies guys.. The steering wheel stays the same.. The way it was my legs would almost rub on wheel so lowering the seats helped a bunch.. I am 6'2" so I did this so I could lay the seat back more and angle the seat bottom for better leg support.. Now it feels comfortable to sit in for me and my wife since she is only 5'3" her legs would dangle and not touch the floor before (very uncomfortable she says).. I am in the process of relocating a odyssey battery to the front bin and installing my 4 HID's I got on ebay for $50 a set.. When its all done I will take some more pics so everyone can see where I mounted the ECU, CDI, fuel pump cutoff (I think thats what it is) and the starter solenoid.. Before my head was like 2" from the roof now I should be looking at 6" so it will be safer if I roll now.. If someone else attempts this be sure to put a lot of wet towels on top of the gas tank before welding anywhere near it so there is no chance for a fire..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Looks good Brandon. In hindsight, compared to the way mine were lowered, I like yours a bit more. Looks like a sturdy build.You'll really be impressed at how much better the XTZ handles now. much better feel and more stable feeling.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Steering wheel height seems optimal for someone 6ft+ if you are shorter then you could go maybe like 3" instead of 4" lower or whatever you want. I haven't gotten to drive it yet since I found a really really bent tie rod (I was wondering why it would push real bad in the corners all of a sudden :D

·
Registered
861 Posts
Brandon, any more pics? Are you done? let us take a gander! I am probably going to do mine soon as well...need all the "pics" n "tips" i can get.!! thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts