Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I have another issue that I have not been able to diagnose. I was riding in the mountains in KY and had some brake issues. So me and my buddy had a great idea to put it in reverse when starting our descent down some really steep hills. I tested on a very steep but short hill, prob 75 yards. During descent we were creeping down with very little throttle. Reached the bottom and my Prowler started making high pitch slipping noise. Put it in high and continued noise until I gave it gas. Still had great pull and speed in all gears. Each time I came to a stop the noise would return. When in neutral it would decrease but it was still there. Got it home and removed belt cover and belt looks great and found no chunks of rubber or large amounts of dust. My Prowler only has 400 miles on it. Any ideas? Is there something I could have bent or even broke? Thanks, I know someone out there has the answer, I have faith in y'all. And yes now I know it was a stupid idea.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Most likely took out the wet clutch as it's a one way bearing and you were trying to run it different directions.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
maybe you need to go to a riding class somewhere to fix the rider FIRST , then think of fixing your rig .. and NEVER take your buddies advice again as he will cause you some real $$ somewhere along the line ... might even be a real safety issue, sure hope you wear a brain bucket.

no flame intended here , just good fun

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ya I think you just Fd up your ride. Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the pep talk. LOL. After I f'd it up I drove another 2 miles back to camp and have not drove it since so I hope I didn't cause more damage. Is there another name for "wet clutch" cause I was on Babbits Online and could not find anything. I am still learning my prowler, apparently, but I am pretty good with a wrench. Any thoughts on where and how to start this process? Also while I am in there, should I make any upgrades? Thanks.......again.

You live and you learn, unfortunately the learning usually has a high price tag.

·
Registered
95 Posts
" centrifugal clutch" is the technical name for the wet clutch. And Triple J is bang on with the diagnosis. Sounds to me like the one-wat bearing is f'd
btw, your buddy made a bad decision for ya

·
Registered
463 Posts
While your in there do the Airdam clutch mods. best bang for the buck

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes you can remove it but you wont have engine brake anymore.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That is correct.

I am not utilizing mine, and neither is my buddy in his Rhino (essentially same clutch). I don't really notice an issue with it, and I especially like it at the dunes when dune riding.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Where I ride, without engine braking my brakes would be smoked in no time.
X2 .. not to mention the carnage that would result going down steep hills without brakes do to fade/heat/and rotor warping ect ect

here there could be 7-8 thousand feet difference in elevation on a ride pretty easy. on several trails the first up grades the front tires are bouncing in the air do to the severe grade and rocks, and after that you need to come back down. on a friends Rhino before I bought the Cat I ran out of brakes coming down some of those grades and was a ride I don't want to duplicate :eek::eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts