Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, this is it. I'm taking a plunge on a new machine. But sadly, it won't be an Arctic Cat this time. We need a actual 4 door machine and the Wildcat doesn't fit the bill for price, width or storage. So I made a decision that will probably get mocked, but oh well. I'm buying an 2015 Odes Dominator X 4DR 1000. Preordered one yesterday after taking the 2dr 800 for a spin. Good lord the power was impressive for an 800!!! The thing smokes my brothers Teryx and makes my 700XTX feel like a pussycat. The build quality was also impressive. Idaho now has three Odes dealerships (Lewiston, Jerome and Idaho Falls) so the dealer network is growing. Add to that a legitimate 3 year warranty and I was sold. For $12,834, I got a fully loaded 4 door machine with front and rear winches, doors, roof, light bar, stow-n-go windshield, power steering, a CVTech clutch and aftermarket Two Bros exhaust included!

I'll still be keeping the Prowler for a second machine for guests, so I'm not completely abandoning ya. But I gotta say, after shopping around for a new machine, I was really disappointed in all the new big brand options. The new Prowler only got a minor facelift. Kawasaki had the second best cost for features. The Teryx rode smoother than the Odes, but cost more (once accessories factored in) but the 800 odes stomped it in power. Can't wait to get my 1000!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Well guys, this is it. I'm taking a plunge on a new machine. But sadly, it won't be an Arctic Cat this time. We need a actual 4 door machine and the Wildcat doesn't fit the bill for price, width or storage. So I made a decision that will probably get mocked, but oh well. I'm buying an 2015 Odes Dominator X 4DR 1000. Preordered one yesterday after taking the 2dr 800 for a spin. Good lord the power was impressive for an 800!!! The thing smokes my brothers Teryx and makes my 700XTX feel like a pussycat. The build quality was also impressive. Idaho now has three Odes dealerships (Lewiston, Jerome and Idaho Falls) so the dealer network is growing. Add to that a legitimate 3 year warranty and I was sold. For $12,834, I got a fully loaded 4 door machine with front and rear winches, doors, roof, light bar, stow-n-go windshield, power steering, a CVTech clutch and aftermarket Two Bros exhaust included!

I'll still be keeping the Prowler for a second machine for guests, so I'm not completely abandoning ya. But I gotta say, after shopping around for a new machine, I was really disappointed in all the new big brand options. The new Prowler only got a minor facelift. Kawasaki had the second best cost for features. The Teryx rode smoother than the Odes, but cost more (once accessories factored in) but the 800 odes stomped it in power. Can't wait to get my 1000!
sounds great,keep us up to date.....I noticed that also mostly body change for the prowler,and still no 4-seat prowler yet.my cousin has a 800 ODES 2-seater.but the problem here is their is no dealer ships,he had his shipped from Texas,and now he has had lots of problems getting parts,but he has deliberately destroyed it.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I've got three dealers within 35 miles according to Odes website.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
wow am I behind ... haven't a clue what an Odes is or what they look like LOL

guess my head is in the sand.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Should be a fine machine for you! Hard to beat their pricing when they include everything!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Should be a fine machine for you! Hard to beat their pricing when they include everything!
Not many more accessories you would need to add, the big one for me would be a snowplow but I'm sure they have something.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Here they are! I'll be there in a few minutes with a potato fork and pop your head out of the sand :laugh:

Thanks for the help LOL [and the link] .. I'll look the site over in the AM while my Wife sleeps see as I get up early

·
Registered
6 Posts
My uncle bought an Odes last year. It came partially assembled. I helped him finish the assembly but it got late and didn't try it out the first day. I couldn't stress enough the need for us to check every nut and bolt on the entire machine while we worked. I ended up having to go out of town the next morning and missed out on the maiden voyage, just to find out late that night he had to have it hauled home. He didn't do the once over on the bolts like we had talked about and the front end on the driver's side fell apart. The differential was damaged, and everything else attached on that side. It took six weeks to get all the replacement parts. Everything was covered under warranty except the tire and wheel. Needless to say he went over all the bolts while he installed his new parts. It's a nice machine but needs to be greased frequently, or it sounds like a creaky old swing set. Good luck, I'm sure it'll last a long time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealer here in Jerome has been selling the heck out of them to farmers. Up through '12 he said they fought some quality issues. The '14 model was rock solid, but still the old rhinoclone style and no power steering (which it desperately needs).

They dealer does a full QC check on the assembly. Owner is a pretty cool guy and was very straight forward about what he thought of the machines. Took us back to talk to his head shop tech and he answered every question we threw at him.

Bang for buck, in my mind it can't be beat (ya know, cuz I don't want to spend $20k + on a new name brand 4 door fully decked out).

I'll let you guys know what I think of it after I pick it up and give it a good break in.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Lot to be said about the off brands, price, improvement on quality, accessories, and so on. Reminds me of the big three back in the 70's, and 80's. The Japanese imports were catching on, the quality of the big three was crap. The big three woke up to the fact that they were not the only game in town, product improvement happened! Good for the entire sport!

·
Registered
518 Posts
My uncle bought an Odes last year. It came partially assembled. I helped him finish the assembly but it got late and didn't try it out the first day. I couldn't stress enough the need for us to check every nut and bolt on the entire machine while we worked. I ended up having to go out of town the next morning and missed out on the maiden voyage, just to find out late that night he had to have it hauled home. He didn't do the once over on the bolts like we had talked about and the front end on the driver's side fell apart. The differential was damaged, and everything else attached on that side. It took six weeks to get all the replacement parts. Everything was covered under warranty except the tire and wheel. Needless to say he went over all the bolts while he installed his new parts. It's a nice machine but needs to be greased frequently, or it sounds like a creaky old swing set. Good luck, I'm sure it'll last a long time.
Having owned several of the chinese imported buggies, this is true pretty much across the board. The build quality can be very poor over there. DOn't expect to buy these things and have them run like a Honda. They take attention and lots of fixing unless you go over them like you said. I've heard rumors they'll ship them with vegetable oil in the crankcase so I always changed the oil before I ever cranked them over. Had to go over every nut and usually loctite them to make sure they don't rattle loose. Replace the air filters with a UNI or K&N. The exhausts were very constrictive so once you opened them up, the engines woke up nicely. My experience was with the smaller stuff, though. Usually 150cc GY6, 250cc CFMOTO, and the 70-90-110-125cc shifters. Some of the welds I've seen on these chinese buggies are scary. Here's an example.

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Again, my experience has been with the lower end stuff, so hopefully the Odes brand is better than my experience. Here's a before and after pic of the exhaust header on the 125 Tao Tao we had. There was so much weld on the inside, I could barely get my pinky finger in there. Dremel'd it out, put a UNI on there, and rejet the carb and it ran pretty well. Neat little buggy, though. For $1,200 new not a bad deal. Used it for a few years and sold it for $900.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've re-welded a couple brackets and a spot where the roll cage mounts to the frame. Other than that it's been trouble free. I don't consider it a problem to need to grease it so frequently, that just ensures safety and longevity.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
The dealer here in Jerome has been selling the heck out of them to farmers. Up through '12 he said they fought some quality issues. The '14 model was rock solid, but still the old rhinoclone style and no power steering (which it desperately needs).

They dealer does a full QC check on the assembly. Owner is a pretty cool guy and was very straight forward about what he thought of the machines. Took us back to talk to his head shop tech and he answered every question we threw at him.

Bang for buck, in my mind it can't be beat (ya know, cuz I don't want to spend $20k + on a new name brand 4 door fully decked out).

I'll let you guys know what I think of it after I pick it up and give it a good break in.
I really think if you take care of it ...it should be fine....who makes the motor,is it a knock off of a Can-Am motor.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts

like you said for the money you cant go wrong....i'm the same as you i wont spend 20,000 on one either.:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Hell I can't bring myself to spend 20,000 on a truck!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya, they use the same Rotax motors as Can Am. All the a-arms, ball joint and shocks are heavier duty than what's on my 700xtx. The plastics aren't quite as thick so we'll see how they hold up. 4 wheel disc brakes will be nice. And the adjustable high back seats were awesome. My 5'' wife could easily reach he pedals.

If it wasn't for the fact there's decent dealer support in my area, I don't know that I would've gotten one. I'm very hands on when it comes to my big purchases. So being able to actually look at one in person and drive it was a big deal for me. Crazy that there's almost as many Odes dealers in Idaho for UTV than Arctic Cat now.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
the bottom line is that your still riding ,,,,,,I got rid of mine too because I had to do what was right for my needs,,,as long as we are still riding,thats all that matters , theres still a bunch of good down to earth people on here that would still be good people no matter what they ride so good luck with your new ride and keep us posted :)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
My 5'' wife could easily reach he pedals.
Wow ... you have a 5" wife , now that ought to be a site , do you carry her in your shirt pocket or what :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts