Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys... Got my clutch housing and clutches back today. After installed I pulled my engine drain plug and aparently the A-hole that changed it last time cross threaded the dang oil plug in. So plug and strainer plate threads are screwed! I know I can change out that plate but 2 of the bolts are centered on a frame rail and about 2in above it. HOW THE HECK DO YOU GET THOSE OUT? Do I have to unhook and jack the engine up to remove 2 bolt? If so I'm going to hunt down the engineer that designed that and smack him!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I was going to pull that plate myself after rebuilding the motor and driving it a little bit to make sure there were no large broken pieces in there. But then I found the problem with access to the two screws that you mentioned. So I cancelled my plans of pulling that cover. It definitely is in a bad spot. I think you are going to have to lift the motor some to get to those bolts.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Can you just pull off the belly pan to get at it? would be a lot of work to have to lift the whole motor..

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Can you just pull off the belly pan to get at it? would be a lot of work to have to lift the whole motor..
The belly pan isn't the problem. I had mine off. Two of the torx bolts are right above the frame and there is almost no way of gaining access to them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
ive never looked at it but can you take a torx bit and a 1/4" wrench and maybe get between the frame rail and the motor?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
ive never looked at it but can you take a torx bit and a 1/4" wrench and maybe get between the frame rail and the motor?
This might work. I just don't remember offhand just how much room is under there.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just looked at my prowler and a torx bit and 1/4"wrench will work to get em out

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried..but I need to see tomorrow if I can get smaller torx. The ones I have are to long even with 1/4 inch. Years ago my dad had a very small ratchet that instead of a drive it had a small hole for a bit. One of those would work but I don't know if they even still make them. I'm guessing drilling two small holes through that would be a really bad idea.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you.. I will definetly try that. I can't imagine them designing that so you have to pull the motor to get that off.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
we have different frames I assume ..... but is there enough meat in the frame to drill a hole through the frame so you always have access ???? if ya have enough maybe drill a hole and weld in a piece of something like 3/8" pipe so you have reinforced the frame at the hole????

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
250 Posts
i wasnt talking about a 1/4" drive ratchet, the torx bits youre using should have a hex on them that will take a 1/4" wrench and just wrench it out the old fashioned way

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh crap.. I see hat you mean. Stick a torx bit in the bolt and just use a box end wrench?

·
Registered
250 Posts
yes sir, dont even need to use the box end if its a ***** to take off and put back on over and over, just use the open end.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for the help guys! I finally got that pos off there! Threads are toast. Time to order another freakin part!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Glad you found a solution to your problem! sucks you have to order more parts but at least you'll be back up and running soon :)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
oil plug

you would think who ever had the buggy before you could tell if the plug was going in cross threaded.:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Just changed my oil this week and checked the strainer, I used the bit and a 1/4" flat wrench, but I used the box end and used duct tape to hold the bit in place on the wrench. They are a pain to get out.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
anyone have a pic of the area there ?

love to see the frame and see if it could be modified to cure the issue ..

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'll take one, going out to work on it in a few

1 - 20 of 39 Posts