Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I changed the oil, oil filter, and cleaned the air filter about six weeks ago. I haven't rode the Prowler much since I bought the Wildcat but since the service the Prowler's muffler is now rattling and when you let off the gas it's backfiring pretty bad. I feel like I got all the excess oil off the air filter and the oil is at the proper level on the dipstick, anybody have any idea what the deal is ? Any help getting this resolved will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Hopefully you just have an exhaust leak causing the backfire. My muffler has a rattle in it also and must be one of the tubes inside, I can make it rattle just by shaking it. I checked the spark arrester and it's not that. I put a new header gasket on my Friday, had a leak there and it was backfiring on decel.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Seems like a lively topic! I bow to Mike on this, as he knows what he is talking about!

·
Registered
177 Posts
yes I had the same thing a couple of years back. A new gasket and tighten the bolts problem solved. May have put locktite on them.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Seems like a lively topic! I bow to Mike on this, as he knows what he is talking about!
I pulled my muffler off a couple times trying to figure out how I could stop that irritating rattle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'll make sure everything is tightened good and take the muffler arrester out and see if it needs to be cleaned. Just kinda weird how it wasn't doing any of it then after I changed the oil and cleaned the air filter it all started

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I'll make sure everything is tightened good and take the stater out and see if it needs to be cleaned. Just kinda weird how it wasn't doing any of it then after I changed the oil and cleaned the air filter it all started
That is strange, I could hear my exhaust leak. Is there a chance the gasket between the pipe and the muffler gave out? That would explain the rattle without it there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seams like the rattle is coming from the area of the heat shield in the back, I can put a little upward pressure on the heat shield and the rattle stops. I checked the bolts on the heat shield and they are snug. I just realized I have noticed what appears to be a thin coat of oil or something on the right rear suspension which is right up under the exhaust pipe, any chance it would be backfiring if I have too much oil in it ? There is also a "rich running" smell when it backfires

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
If your not getting enough air it could be running rich, you might try pulling the filter and reving it up good to see if it still backfires, but you got all the excess oil out when you cleaned it so that shouldn't be a problem.
How much oil did you use when you changed it? Mine only takes 2 quarts, I think some may take 2 1/2 quarts at most.

I'm not being much help here, maybe someone with a fuel injected model might know something to check.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It took 2.5 quarts and it's at the top of the fill line on the dipstick....oh you're helping plenty man, giving me suggestions to try lol. That's what I was looking for, thanks

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I have the same machine, excess oil in the filter will cause it to run rich, do like Mike said and try it without the element.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
It took 2.5 quarts and it's at the top of the fill line on the dipstick....oh you're helping plenty man, giving me suggestions to try lol. That's what I was looking for, thanks
On my 2006 it takes 2.6 Quarts and on mine you (DONT) thread the dip stick in when you check it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys I used the Prowler today to get some wood cut and picked up, when I finished the work part I started looking the Prowler over to attempt to find the problem. I took the air filter out and checked the engine oil and all was good to go so I started looking at the exhaust and YAHTZEE !!!! Turns out the two bolts that mounts the exhaust to the engine bad backed out, one was completely gone and the other was backed out about halfway. I got new bolts, applied a little blue loctite, and bingo bango......she puuuurrrrssss like a happy kitty again. Just wanted to thank everybody for their input and help, as always you guys helped tremendously. THANKS A LOT guys !!!!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
That'll do it!

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Glad you got it fixed! I learned another trick on this one! Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Ok guys I used the Prowler today to get some wood cut and picked up, when I finished the work part I started looking the Prowler over to attempt to find the problem. I took the air filter out and checked the engine oil and all was good to go so I started looking at the exhaust and YAHTZEE !!!! Turns out the two bolts that mounts the exhaust to the engine bad backed out, one was completely gone and the other was backed out about halfway. I got new bolts, applied a little blue loctite, and bingo bango......she puuuurrrrssss like a happy kitty again. Just wanted to thank everybody for their input and help, as always you guys helped tremendously. THANKS A LOT guys !!!!
You have to love those easy fixes........

·
Registered
733 Posts
If I could make an easy suggestion to all that have the 700 xtx.. I had the same constant problem with mine, I always had to have a wrench with me because they would back out all the darn time. The biggest problem is the motor is on rubber mounts to allow the engine a slight bit of movement when under load (this is a common setup) but the muffler is pretty solid mounted to the frame. I cut a section mid-way out of my pipe and welded in a piece of exhaust flex pipe and I never had to re-tighten the header again. Problem solved for a cheap piece and about an hours work it sure was nice to no have to mess around with it. Might be an idea for Cat to do this at the factory?? HINT HINT haha

·
Registered
733 Posts
There are still pics from my mod if you search exhaust leak. It was posted in 2012. cheers

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Good idea! Mine has never come loose, but then again I'm constantly taking it apart! Flex tube would eliminate any stress on the header.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
There are still pics from my mod if you search exhaust leak. It was posted in 2012. cheers
AlmostxProwler,I always had the same problem,carried a wrench also,I even bought new bolts and donut gasket,and even used the other set of threaded hole on the cylinder.........and loctite.still come loose,i agree probably because my exhaust was mounted pretty solid,and the stock setup on mine hung from a rubber bracket

1 - 20 of 44 Posts