Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to say "thanks" to this forum ... here's the story why.

We were out to Dove Springs last weekend and broke a tie rod (at the threads) in a canyon waaaay out in the boonies. We tried to jury-rig the darn thing with a wrench to stabilize and clamps on both ends of the wrench attached to the tie rod ... but it just kept breaking. Had to leave my Prowler overnight (this area was so knarly I had little concern someone could get the thing out to steal it). Drove to Ridgecrest, bought a welder from Home Depot (got my Christmas present early!) and went back the next morning to weld the darn thing up to get out.

When I got home I started googling and found this forum and the talk about the crappy tie rods on the Prowler (and I can attest to that!). I just ordered some new heavy duty ones from Prestige, mentioned I'm a member of this forum and got 10% off (thanks Mike if you see this!).

So, my thanks to the forum for letting me know about the crappy tie rods (so I didn't buy OEM replacements and have it happen again) AND thanks for pointing me to Prestige.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the site. I am really glad it was helpful for you. Could you post some pictures of you new tie rod kit for others to see.

Thanks
Seth
Sure thing. I'll include a pic or two on our weld job done in the boonies. I'll bet it's stronger than stock!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You guys do know that you can weld out in the Boony's with two 12 volt batteries and two sets of jumper cables and a stick or two of welding rod right?
I've heard that before and saw one guy do it, but didn't pay attention to what the layout of the cables and batteries were. Please do post up if you know or have a layout sheet.
Thanks Chris.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Use the jumper cable to connect the two batteries in series. Come from the negative from one battery to the positive of the other. Then the positive post off of one battery and the negative post off of the other becomes your welding leads. Clamp your rod in the positive lead and ground the negative to what you are welding on and weld away. Or you can reverse the polarity if needed. It works.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Use the jumper cable to connect the two batteries in series. Come from the negative from one battery to the positive of the other. Then the positive post off of one battery and the negative post off of the other becomes your welding leads. Clamp your rod in the positive lead and ground the negative to what you are welding on and weld away. Or you can reverse the polarity if needed. It works.
Did not know you could do that. Guess i will start carrying some jumper cables and weiding rods with me. What rod would suggest. Will 3/16 7018 work?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Probably 3/32 6013 will be the best all round. Either polarity, all position, and small enough for the little jobs, but big enough to get the job done.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well ... I have a few pics to share that y'all might find interesting. The first couple show our "expert" :D weld job in the canyon. I'll have to admit that it got me through some VERY rough stuff out of the canyon. The last one shows the stock tie rods and the heavy duty ones I got from Precision. Can you guess which ones are stock? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you mind if I ask how much the tie rods were? Who is Precision? Can you post some pics of the connection to the steering rack when you get them in? I am looking to upgrade my Tie rods too and I am worried about the fit with the rack and getting the boot sealed again around them.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
413 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Their website is no help, Contains no info.
Actually, I was only answering the question (by bmombert) "Who is Precision (Prestige)?". I should have quoted the question.

That said, I found their locations (2), their phone numbers (2), their various product focuses (many), and lots more information all on their website.

www.prestigemotorsportsonline.com

Here is the info I have:
Mike Highsmith at Prestige Motorsports
phone: 951-695-2720 or 800-493-5288
e-mail: [email protected]
address: 27491 Jefferson Ave, Temecula, CA 92590
and
31672 Railroad Canyon Rd, Sun City, CA 92587

Here is a picture of what you will get (the photo is my own):

I paid over $200 and less than $250 delivered to my home. These are not currently shown on their website. You must call or e-mail and ask about them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts