Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the list continues to grow…
1. Since day 1 it’s always had a problem “puking” coolant. We’ve bleed the air out and it seemed to help with not running as hot.
2. Installed the UTV temp gauge. Even when temp is between 180-190 the speedometer will occasionally cycle (similar to when you first turn the key on). While riding the speedometer will occasionally cycle and show the water temp indicator flashing on the speedometer – then after a few minutes it goes back to normal.
3. A few months ago the front passenger tie rod snapped (at the troubled threaded section – lame design). The result ended in cracking the differential case as well. Took a little bit of ruffling feathers with Bass Pro and Arctic Cat (AC NEVER EVEN RETURNED ONE OF MY CALLS) for them to realize there was a more severe problem with the diff as they believed it was the only the rings which is why the diff started to leak. Once Bass Pro got the diff all the way off, they realized the casing had actually cracked. AC stepped up and replaced the diff and front axel(s) then I had a Gear One rack and tie rods installed ($$$ - Didn’t want to risk being stuck 8 miles out again…).
4. Went to pick it up from Bass Pro and when in their parking lot trying to accelerate there was hardly any power… After leaving it with them for a few hours, they called and said they replaced the spark plug and it was better (400 miles)……
5. Prior to the end of the year I took it in for the water pump recall (hoping that would solve the “puking” coolant) - didn't...
6. Brought it home and it had a problem starting (turning over) - Sounded like it was flooded. Tried starting it enough times and guess what, time to charge your battery…
7. While with the family on vacation for New Years the Prowler would take 10-15 minutes of riding prior to what felt like the 2nd cylinder to kick in. One evening (even after 60 minutes of it running) it never kicked in and got me over 20 mph (imagine trying to keep up with your buddies and trying to climb even a 20 foot hill – NO CHANCE). Still had a difficult time getting it started…
8. The following day checked the spark plug from the 2nd cylinder and it was drenched in fuel…… Cleaned the plug and got in started for the last ride (again limited power for 20 minutes)…
9. On the way back to camp the Prowler started getting squirrelly when I realized the rear driver axel was out…… **** ANYTHING ELSE THAT CAN WRONG!!!!
10. Once I put it in the trailer and got it home I tried starting it to get it out of the trailer. After a few attempts without any luck, it put out the LOUDEST backfire… Scared the **** out of my 4 year old daughter and me… Has never started since........

SOOOOO, it’s been in the shop and yesterday they indicated that at least the 2nd cylinder head gasket was blown and they were going to look at the 1st as well.
Considering my last experience with Arctic Cat (not even returning my call), we will see what happens this time.......
I don’t mean to ***** (as this forum has lots of good information), but holly crap, I have $20,000 into it with no engine modifications and even the basic **** isn’t functioning!!!!! Now that I’m done venting and have my ~10 month old prowler with 800 miles on it (been in the shop almost more than in my garage), I’ll have to see what happens next…

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
WOW! Thats NOT a bedtime story. Im sorry you are having all the problems you are Having.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
sounds like you need to get a lil higher up on the food chain for problem resolution .. bet a couple of the dealers on here can tell you who to contact .. maybe even total replacement of you rig and swaping over of the added parts at N/C do to their poor quality workmanship and warranty follow through.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well, the list continues to grow…
1. Since day 1 it’s always had a problem “puking” coolant. We’ve bleed the air out and it seemed to help with not running as hot.
2. Installed the UTV temp gauge. Even when temp is between 180-190 the speedometer will occasionally cycle (similar to when you first turn the key on). While riding the speedometer will occasionally cycle and show the water temp indicator flashing on the speedometer – then after a few minutes it goes back to normal.
3. A few months ago the front passenger tie rod snapped (at the troubled threaded section – lame design). The result ended in cracking the differential case as well. Took a little bit of ruffling feathers with Bass Pro and Arctic Cat (AC NEVER EVEN RETURNED ONE OF MY CALLS) for them to realize there was a more severe problem with the diff as they believed it was the only the rings which is why the diff started to leak. Once Bass Pro got the diff all the way off, they realized the casing had actually cracked. AC stepped up and replaced the diff and front axel(s) then I had a Gear One rack and tie rods installed ($$$ - Didn’t want to risk being stuck 8 miles out again…).
4. Went to pick it up from Bass Pro and when in their parking lot trying to accelerate there was hardly any power… After leaving it with them for a few hours, they called and said they replaced the spark plug and it was better (400 miles)……
5. Prior to the end of the year I took it in for the water pump recall (hoping that would solve the “puking” coolant) - didn't...
6. Brought it home and it had a problem starting (turning over) - Sounded like it was flooded. Tried starting it enough times and guess what, time to charge your battery…
7. While with the family on vacation for New Years the Prowler would take 10-15 minutes of riding prior to what felt like the 2nd cylinder to kick in. One evening (even after 60 minutes of it running) it never kicked in and got me over 20 mph (imagine trying to keep up with your buddies and trying to climb even a 20 foot hill – NO CHANCE). Still had a difficult time getting it started…
8. The following day checked the spark plug from the 2nd cylinder and it was drenched in fuel…… Cleaned the plug and got in started for the last ride (again limited power for 20 minutes)…
9. On the way back to camp the Prowler started getting squirrelly when I realized the rear driver axel was out…… **** ANYTHING ELSE THAT CAN WRONG!!!!
10. Once I put it in the trailer and got it home I tried starting it to get it out of the trailer. After a few attempts without any luck, it put out the LOUDEST backfire… Scared the **** out of my 4 year old daughter and me… Has never started since........

SOOOOO, it’s been in the shop and yesterday they indicated that at least the 2nd cylinder head gasket was blown and they were going to look at the 1st as well.
Considering my last experience with Arctic Cat (not even returning my call), we will see what happens this time.......
I don’t mean to ***** (as this forum has lots of good information), but holly crap, I have $20,000 into it with no engine modifications and even the basic **** isn’t functioning!!!!! Now that I’m done venting and have my ~10 month old prowler with 800 miles on it (been in the shop almost more than in my garage), I’ll have to see what happens next…
Too bad the lemon law doesn't apply, i'm sure you qualify. Lemme do you a favor and swap you my super reliable 2008 650 dead even. Only needed gas, oil changes and a set of tires in 850 miles!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sounds like you had a cylinder head gasket leak since day one. That would also be a major cause of your hard starting, plug fouling, being down on power and overheating/puking coolant. The dealer should've done a leak down test on the cylinders to verify a bad head gasket.

Also, the stock plugs on these machines (pretty much all OEM atv/utv's) suck. Change them out for a good set of NGKs. And then carry spares, engines like atv's and utv's tend to foul out more than an automobile would.

Batteries on all utv's are seriously inadequate from the very beginning. Install a second battery with isolator system if you find yourself having to crank it over and over. Or at least hook it up to a battery tender unit when parked at home. Even John Deere lawn mowers have that problem.
I hate to say it, but these problems should've been caught by your dealer. Arctic Cat would've just referred you right back to the dealer. Your fight should be with the dealer more than Arctic Cat.

I do agree, Arctic Cat has some problems with these machines. But so does Polaris (sucking dirt into engines, bad seals, diff gears breaking, etc), so do the other brands. I wished AC was better. But it really sounds like Bass Pro or whoever you took it too in the beginning, didn't check for a gasket leak like they should've. It was their lack of fixing it that very possibly led to the other problems.

Don't think that I'm sticking up for AC, but these are problems that a dealer should've caught and fixed. But what do you expect from a big box store...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Man I would be frustrated too. It sounds like you are able to get some things covered even though it's been a struggle. How has Bass Pro been to deal with?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man I would be frustrated too. It sounds like you are able to get some things covered even though it's been a struggle. How has Bass Pro been to deal with?
After my last visit to Bass Pro and struggling with them, I recently found a local dealer. He did the water pump and after further testing determined the head gaskets needed to be done. I was not confident after my service visit to Bass Pro that they actually knew what they were doing…….
I guess you live and learn. The frustrating part is that the problems have screwed up two of my vacations due to the prowler not working….
When it works, I LOVE IT!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yup almost all of your probs where caused by the leaky head gasket. And prowlers are known for there weak tie rods but that easy to fix, the axles pull out is kind of bs as i think this is a problem with all cats but usually only after lifting them.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You have my sympathys Flying low. I have had mine for a year, not that many miles but , knock on wood , it has been good so far.You are right about the dealer. I had an 06 xt i bought at a gander mountain . They took care of me great, so i think it does depend alot on the dealer. keep the faith as hard as it may seem right now . AC still has the better side x side out there.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have two buddies out there that bought RZRs for their size. They have owned them twice as long as I have mine, but I have twice as many miles on mine than they do. Their machines have spent more time broken down then mine. Between them, 1 broken diff gear, 3 axle seal leaks, 1 seized engine (sucked in dust past the air filter, design fault), cage bolts loose. And they still can't keep up with me on the trails or in the sandwash. I have another friend that has a Rhino, he hates it, says it's a gutless wonder. He won't even go riding with me if I'm going fast, says he's tired of getting his doors blown off.
So you can see, everyone has their issues. Get the dealer to fix your machine right, maintain it and beef up any weak areas that don't suit your riding, then go enjoy it. Keep in mind, off-road sport machines take a lot more maintenance and work than a on-road car does.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have two buddies out there that bought RZRs for their size. They have owned them twice as long as I have mine, but I have twice as many miles on mine than they do. Their machines have spent more time broken down then mine. Between them, 1 broken diff gear, 3 axle seal leaks, 1 seized engine (sucked in dust past the air filter, design fault), cage bolts loose. And they still can't keep up with me on the trails or in the sandwash. I have another friend that has a Rhino, he hates it, says it's a gutless wonder. He won't even go riding with me if I'm going fast, says he's tired of getting his doors blown off.
So you can see, everyone has their issues. Get the dealer to fix your machine right, maintain it and beef up any weak areas that don't suit your riding, then go enjoy it. Keep in mind, off-road sport machines take a lot more maintenance and work than a on-road car does.
Darryl you are spot on with your comments here. The XTZ 1000 just needs a little time and some attention to fix the things that Arctic Cat should have done in the first place. Once you do these things the only side x sides that will hang with you are turbo charged or big bore ones. If AC would get their **** together we would have a winner here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts