Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2008 Prowler 700 XTX I had the turf saver real end on it and I switched it out last week to the non turf saver to stop the "BUCKING" (2008 XT model along with the new axels). Well I went up hunting today and got into some mud so I put it in 4WD drove about a mile decided to turn around. As I was turning around I heard a pop come from the front diff and my front tires locked up. I put it in reverse and it broke free I got off and seen I had oil leaking out of my front diff. I limped it home and got it up on my lift and tore it apart today. my housing is broke most of my gears are busted just a total blown up diff. My question is what could of caused this? any chance it was the Rear diff I switched from XTX to XT? any help would be great I really don't want to drop 1200 bucks for it to happen again.

Taner :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I was just looking looks like the front diff on the XTX has a 10 tooth gear and the front diff on the XT only has a 9 tooth gear. so I guess I messed it up pretty bad myself. :mad: other then that everything else is the same according to babbits. I'm thinking of putting the XT front diff in now seeing that I already messed it up plus it cheaper and I would not have to dig into the rear end and change it all out again. any one have any advice or experience with it. will it work?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I think there is a gear difference one is a 4.0 and the Turf saver was a 3.XX (don't remember exactly) RD should be able to help with that he has the turf saver.

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
The XTX has a 3.6 gear front and rear. I have an 09 XTX and changed out the turf saver also. I built a rear gear (non-turf saver) from 2011 XTX parts. Yes indeed, two different gear sets will explode one of the differentials very quickly! A 4.0 gear in a 700 would make it pretty lively down low! I've seen several front differentials on EBAY, and Power Sports Nation.

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
If it matches the rear gear, you are in good shape! I think all of the 650's were equipped with the 4.0 gear, 700's are 3.6, and the 1000's are 3.0 or 3.2, not sure which!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Heck yea go with the 4.0 from the XT in the front......That should wake your 700 up some.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So im a little confused. The only thing i changed on my rear end was the gear. it says both gears are 36 tooth just one has a the limited slip "junk". looking into it today i noticed that the pinion gear is differant. so my question is. would just changing from slip to lock rear diff blow my front diff? I just dont want to blow a new diff. sorry for all the questons. Thanks

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
Being locked, or a turf saver makes no difference. Turf saver gear is 10 tooth pinion, 36 tooth ring gear = 3.6, XT has the 9 tooth pinion, 36 tooth ring gear = 4.0 , what year XT did you get the gear from? A 2009 700 XT is a 3.6 gear, and 2011 700XTX models are also a 3.6 locked gear. As long as the gear sets match, you are good to go.

Reactions: de3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the rear ring gear off a 2008 XT. same part number of a 2009 XT. I think i'm just going to replace the front diff with the same thing thats on there seeming i did not change any of the gearing and just hope that it was bad luck that I changed the back and then the front exploded 2 days later.

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
I ran the part numbers. I'm thinking you got a rear gear out of a 650XT, and it does carry the same number throughout the years. The problem you have is miss-matched front and rear gear sets. You need to replace the front differential with a 4.0 gear set, in order to match the rear. I think you said it was a 10 tooth pinion in front (3.6), and a 9 tooth pinion in the rear (or I got it backwards!)? All 700's XT/TXT use the 3.6 gear, all 650 XT's use a 4.0 gear.

Reactions: de3

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
Then you are good! 3.6 front, and rear!

·
Administrator
7,280 Posts
I ran in to the same thing on a 4X4 truck! It was a Ford 250 with some pretty stout under pinnings. Front differential was completely destroyed, and case split in two!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts