Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a line on a different tow vehicle. Currently I pull my toy hauler with my half ton Nissan, and it does ok, but just ok. You get into a head wind or hills and it struggles. Well, the neighbor has a '99 F250 with the 7.3l. It's a crew cab (not a dually),Lariat with 180k miles. It's a one owner and this guy generally takes care of his stuff. I can get it for $5k. He doesn't use it anymore. It's not really for sale, I just asked him about it and he said he was going to trade it in when they bought his wife a new ride. It's been used as a daily driver and hasn't towed anything other than a small utility trailer now and then. Says it gets about 23mpg. My toy hauler is about 7k loaded so I think this should pull it with ease. Any thoughts on the truck, towing capacity, anything??? Thanks!

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have a 2000 F350 that had the same motor and the transmissions was the auto and currently at 200k on the clock it has been fine. The beds will rust over the wheel well in the rear if you are in the rust belt. The only other rust place to look at is under the rockers there are squares cut out in the reinforcements that collect silt, just take a cut off wheel and cut them all the way down. engine wise just keep a good set of batteries in it and it will always start.

Tim

·
Registered
162 Posts
I pull my hauler with a 1/2 ton truck. And I'm pulling right at the top end of it's capabilities.
If I did more towing or less business driving or, was to have a dedicated tow vehicle, it would be a 3/4 ton truck. I think the handling characteristics and increased capacity make for a much better towing experience.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2000 F350 that had the same motor and the transmissions was the auto and currently at 200k on the clock it has been fine. The beds will rust over the wheel well in the rear if you are in the rust belt. The only other rust place to look at is under the rockers there are squares cut out in the reinforcements that collect silt, just take a cut off wheel and cut them all the way down. engine wise just keep a good set of batteries in it and it will always start.

Tim
I had heard the trans was the weak link. My biggest fear is once I start towing with this thing, the trans goes out and so does $4k of my hard earned money.

·
Registered
812 Posts
only on the 01 -03 they had issues, Mine was a plow truck before I bought it in 02 with 42k on it. As years went by it was the 3rd truck in the country with a 7.3l to break 500hp and it currently has a 5.9 Cummins P-Pumped 12valve running 829Hp... RD has seen it and heard it..Only trans mods were a tripple disk converter and a FactoryTech Valvebody (from Ford Lightning).

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
500 out of a 7.3 was a strong Blue Oval

829 on a P-Pumped rig is a nice sweet spot to be at , but on 37's ... sure a lot of power going to tires [as in being robbed] . But hey it's your toy :) ... is that the race configuration also ?

BTW what turbo are you running ? and what head work ? .. O-Rings ?

·
Administrator
7,277 Posts
Truck was impressive! So was his Prowler!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
only on the 01 -03 they had issues, Mine was a plow truck before I bought it in 02 with 42k on it. As years went by it was the 3rd truck in the country with a 7.3l to break 500hp and it currently has a 5.9 Cummins P-Pumped 12valve running 829Hp... RD has seen it and heard it..Only trans mods were a tripple disk converter and a FactoryTech Valvebody (from Ford Lightning).
Brian was telling me you had some awesome toys........:)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
not the greatest gas mileage but i never bought it for mileage but i love my 3/4 ton.

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
Currently a 3rg gen HTT 66/71/13, studded, lower girdle, O-ringed, 5k GSK, 4.30 gears and 5x18 injectors with pintle mods. gets 16mpg all year long, 13 towing. Haven't done pulling in 2 yrs, just bought a house and cleared some land for barn amd pastures. Now own a new 2014 32hp backhoe and have to put in 70 fence posts. wife keeps me busy.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Currently a 3rg gen HTT 66/71/13, studded, lower girdle, O-ringed, 5k GSK, 4.30 gears and 5x18 injectors with pintle mods. gets 16mpg all year long, 13 towing. Haven't done pulling in 2 yrs, just bought a house and cleared some land for barn amd pastures. Now own a new 2014 32hp backhoe and have to put in 70 fence posts. wife keeps me busy.
sounds like a fine build !

at what mile per hour do you run out of gear , with those tires being 37's bet it high.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
sounds like you are gonna raise horses........:)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any other opinions on this truck I'm looking at? C'mon now, gotta be some more experience out there. TIA.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Any other opinions on this truck I'm looking at? C'mon now, gotta be some more experience out there. TIA.
i talked to a buddy of mine which is a ford guy and he said if he lived closer he would buy it if you didn't,he was offered 10,000 for his 1998 F 250 ford diesel.and the wheel wells are starting to rust out,and its got 180,000 on it.i say go for it............:)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i talked to a buddy of mine which is a ford guy and he said if he lived closer he would buy it if you didn't,he was offered 10,000 for his 1998 F 250 ford diesel.and the wheel wells are starting to rust out,and its got 180,000 on it.i say go for it............:)
Thanks, that helps. I don't need it, but I really, really want it! You all know how that goes.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
my only opinion is ... I'm not a Blue Oval fan but if I was to get one the 7.3 is the one worth getting and nothing after it for several engine generations is even worth looking at unless your an experienced Blue Oval wrench ... I am a Cummins fan [ I have a Cummins with a crappy truck wrapped around it , not really but hey that's what I say to everyone] I'm over 250K miles and can't complain one bit as those are hard towing heavy miles.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my only opinion is ... I'm not a Blue Oval fan but if I was to get one the 7.3 is the one worth getting and nothing after it for several engine generations is even worth looking at unless your an experienced Blue Oval wrench ... I am a Cummins fan [ I have a Cummins with a crappy truck wrapped around it , not really but hey that's what I say to everyone] I'm over 250K miles and can't complain one bit as those are hard towing heavy miles.
I've never owned a Ford. Truck-wise I've had Chevy S-10 and 1500, Dodge Dakota and Dodge Ram, and I currently have a Nissan Titan. I loved that Quad Cab Dakota. Too bad they changed them for 2005. Sharp little truck up until that time, but the gas mileage sucked (V8). Not many options anymore for a mid-sized truck.

·
Administrator
7,277 Posts
Last Ford truck I had was equipped with a 460, did not matter what I did it got 9 miles to a gallon, pull a trailer 9 mpg, empty 9 mpg!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Last Ford truck I had was equipped with a 460, did not matter what I did it got 9 miles to a gallon, pull a trailer 9 mpg, empty 9 mpg!
lol RD i have a friend that has a ford f 350 quad cab long bed with the 460 its an older truck,he pulled a 16' utility trailer with furniture on it from flordia to w.v and got 6 mpg.....i would hate to pay that fuel bill.:crying:

·
Registered
812 Posts
The only other issue is the windshield, more so the drivers side where it attached to the A pillar. The origionals would delaminate on the edge causing water to leak on the Generic electronics module which controls power window, power lock, entry delay lighting ect and when its raining outside your module will start turning on these things and your batteries will be dead in the morning. If it was replaced then you are all set. To see if you have this issue look on the bottom of the e-brake pedal to see if there are signs of water dripping off the bottom.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts