Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing an oil pressure and water temperature gauge soon. In addition to this, eventually I will be installing a winch and maybe a heater at some point. Because of this, I want to plan ahead of time for what switches, etc. I will need installed on my dash. Because once I cut my dash, there is no going back. Don't want to regret later that I should have put my gauges here or there, or switches here or there.

So can you guys tell me what switch, or switches I might need for a winch? What about a heater? Just trying to plan ahead for install locations. Thanks for any help.....:D

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
as to the winch ... add a wireless remote control and don't worry about a switch for the winch

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as to the winch ... add a wireless remote control and don't worry about a switch for the winch
Thanks for the input Gary. I will look into that when I finally get a winch.

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
That was my consideration when I installed my gages, and I made an aluminum dash plate to mount the gages, warning light, and switch for my battery solenoid. The areas available for mounting items fills up very quickly! I also mocked up placement using cardboard templetes.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my consideration when I installed my gages, and I made an aluminum dash plate to mount the gages, warning light, and switch for my battery solenoid. The areas available for mounting items fills up very quickly! I also mocked up placement using cardboard templetes.
I looked at your dash plate. It is nice. Curious, what does it cost for a piece of aluminum about that size? What do you use to cut it to get clean cuts? I don't have very good tools for cutting metal, but I'm thinking of building a plate like that.

I also like the idea of that warning light. Where did you get that and how do you set it up to work?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
shane I also seen on here where some one mounted gauges around there dash cluster. just an Idea.Iam gonna mount my volt gauge beside my locker switch,that will still give me room to install a couple of switches beside the volt gauge if I want to.:)

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Shane, you can pick up a piece of aluminum that size for under $5.00, I used 1/16" aluminum and cut it with a jig saw, after cutting i draw filed the edges, and then used 100 grit sandpaper on a block to finish. I usually sand the face with 150 grit in a one direction motion, and then spray with a clear finish to protect (Clear spray bomb). The pressure switch (Hobbs Switch) is self grounding, you run a power wire to the one side of the light, and the other side of the light goes to the switch. With no oil pressure the circuit is closed - lite on, once the engine starts pressure opens the swithch - lite out Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shane, you can pick up a piece of aluminum that size for under $5.00, I used 1/16" aluminum and cut it with a jig saw, after cutting i draw filed the edges, and then used 100 grit sandpaper on a block to finish. I usually sand the face with 150 grit in a one direction motion, and then spray with a clear finish to protect (Clear spray bomb). The pressure switch (Hobbs Switch) is self grounding, you run a power wire to the one side of the light, and the other side of the light goes to the switch. With no oil pressure the circuit is closed - lite on, once the engine starts pressure opens the swithch - lite out Hope this helps
Where did you get your Hobbs switch and light? How much are they? I've been looking at getting a jigsaw as it would come in handy for this project and others.

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Shane, I ordered one from JEGS,it was a complete kit. I think it was around $30.00, but I think you could get the same thing through a NAPA parts store. It's hard to beat a Jig Saw for an all purpose tool! If I'm making large cuts in aluminum I use my skill saw with a carbon tipped blade (an old one!) , it works great!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Where did you get your Hobbs switch and light? How much are they? I've been looking at getting a jigsaw as it would come in handy for this project and others.
shane,tell the wife your gonna load up and head to my place for a week,and we will get you all set up.:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Depending on where you mount your heater you will need 1 or 2 switches. If you mount it under your hood like the factory heater it will be higher than your radiator so you will need a small pump to help prevent vapor lock. I put a switch under the hood for the pump so I could shut it off during the summer, I've read some have a switch on the dash or connected to the ignition switch. And then just the blower switch.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Shane, that is the one I ordered, it will come on at 6 PSI or less. Summit has a similar kit, but their switch is set at 20 PSI. $21.99, less than what I remembered!............Dick

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Thanks Seth! .................Dick

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I told shane you can also mount switches on the front panel in front of the drivers seat,I have two switches there,pretty easy to reach down and flip a switch plus you dont have to run as much wire from battery to switch.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I told shane you can also mount switches on the front panel in front of the drivers seat,I have two switches there,pretty easy to reach down and flip a switch plus you dont have to run as much wire from battery to switch.
If I mounted any switches there,I would break them off unless they were covered to protect them, remember when some motorcycles had the key switch on the side panel area?...:eek:I've seen a couple of keys broke off in them? That is a good flat area there.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
If I mounted any switches there,I would break them off unless they were covered to protect them, remember when some motorcycles had the key switch on the side panel area?...:eek:I've seen a couple of keys broke off in them? That is a good flat area there.
I know what you mean Terry,the switch I have has a cover over it,flip up cover then flip switch,and to shut off just flip cover down.

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
There was some discussion awhile back about lights for the winch switch, lite switch, and so on. I ran across these this morning. I have ordered a set to put in my gauge panel. You can find them at :Speed Tactics LED license plate light

1 - 20 of 40 Posts