Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping if someone here can help me with a problem I just enountered with my xtz prowler 1000. First it wont start just spins over but will not start up. EFI flashing got a code SC 98 which is = ECU to Gauge Comm Link - H2 but dont know want this mean hope someone here can help

Change new spark plugs and still no go

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Welcome!,Im sure one of the XTZ guys will be able to help you out.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The XTZ is pretty good at telling you what's wrong with it if you check the codes. Should help you solve your problem. Just do the following to find the code..

ECU Error Codes
If a sensor fails or an out-of-tolerance signal is sensed by the ECU, an error code will be generated by the ECU. This will result in the analog needle swinging full scale. The EFI icon will flash.
To read the error code(s), use the following procedure:
1. Make sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position; then remove the seats.
2. Locate the diagnostic plug next to the PDM; then remove the black rubber cap.
3. Connect the Test Plug from Test Plug/Error Code List to the diagnostic plug.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and read the error code on the LCD. Refer to the following ECU Error Code List to identify the specific problem area.
ECU Error Code List
NOTE: Each of the following numerical codes will have a two-letter prefix. A prefix of AC (Active Code) or SC (Stored Code) will be displayed.
Always correct and clear Active Codes before clearing Stored Codes.

• 00 = No Fault Detected (active code only)
• 12 = CKP (Crankshaft Position) Sensor*
• 13 = APS (Air Pressure Sensor) - H1
• 13 = MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor - H2
• 14 = TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
• 15 = ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) Sensor
• 16 = Speed Sensor
• 21 = IAT (Inlet Air Temperature) Sensor
• 23 = Tilt Sensor*
• 24 = Ignition Coil #1*
• 26 = Ignition Coil #2* - H2
• 32 = Fuel Injector #1*
• 34 = Fuel Injector #2* - H2
• 40 = ISC (Idle Speed Control) Valve
• 41 = Fuel Pump Relay*
• 60 = Cooling Fan Relay
• 95 = Sensor Power
• 96 = Incorrect ECU*
• 97 = ECU Memory Power (constant battery power)
• 98 = ECU to Gauge Comm Link - H2
• 99 = Start/Run Not Possible (active code only)
*Will initiate code 99.
After all stored codes are cleared, clear the error code(s) using the following procedure.
NOTE: The ignition switch should be in the OFF position.
1. With the test plug connected to the diagnostic plug and the drive select switch in the 4WD position, hold the reverse override switch down and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
2. After ten seconds, release the reverse override switch and turn the ignition switch to the OFF position; then turn the ignition switch to the ON position. The display should read AC00 (no fault detected).
NOTE: If the LCD still displays an error code, continue troubleshooting the appropriate component.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a update on my problem took it to the dealer yesterday and today was taking to them they still havent figured out the problem yet it has spark and gas they think its electrical

·
Registered
812 Posts
If it has spark and fuel it is not electrical but mechanical. like timing or compression.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
been to the dealer today still have not found the problem they were talking to arctic cat techs which told them different things to try which did not work and now they are also stumped will keep you updated

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
The XTZ is pretty good at telling you what's wrong with it if you check the codes. Should help you solve your problem. Just do the following to find the code..

ECU Error Codes
If a sensor fails or an out-of-tolerance signal is sensed by the ECU, an error code will be generated by the ECU. This will result in the analog needle swinging full scale. The EFI icon will flash.
To read the error code(s), use the following procedure:
1. Make sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position; then remove the seats.
2. Locate the diagnostic plug next to the PDM; then remove the black rubber cap.
3. Connect the Test Plug from Test Plug/Error Code List to the diagnostic plug.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and read the error code on the LCD. Refer to the following ECU Error Code List to identify the specific problem area.
ECU Error Code List
NOTE: Each of the following numerical codes will have a two-letter prefix. A prefix of AC (Active Code) or SC (Stored Code) will be displayed.
Always correct and clear Active Codes before clearing Stored Codes.

• 00 = No Fault Detected (active code only)
• 12 = CKP (Crankshaft Position) Sensor*
• 13 = APS (Air Pressure Sensor) - H1
• 13 = MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor - H2
• 14 = TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
• 15 = ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) Sensor
• 16 = Speed Sensor
• 21 = IAT (Inlet Air Temperature) Sensor
• 23 = Tilt Sensor*
• 24 = Ignition Coil #1*
• 26 = Ignition Coil #2* - H2
• 32 = Fuel Injector #1*
• 34 = Fuel Injector #2* - H2
• 40 = ISC (Idle Speed Control) Valve
• 41 = Fuel Pump Relay*
• 60 = Cooling Fan Relay
• 95 = Sensor Power
• 96 = Incorrect ECU*
• 97 = ECU Memory Power (constant battery power)
• 98 = ECU to Gauge Comm Link - H2
• 99 = Start/Run Not Possible (active code only)
*Will initiate code 99.
After all stored codes are cleared, clear the error code(s) using the following procedure.
NOTE: The ignition switch should be in the OFF position.
1. With the test plug connected to the diagnostic plug and the drive select switch in the 4WD position, hold the reverse override switch down and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
2. After ten seconds, release the reverse override switch and turn the ignition switch to the OFF position; then turn the ignition switch to the ON position. The display should read AC00 (no fault detected).
NOTE: If the LCD still displays an error code, continue troubleshooting the appropriate component.
Great info Darryl thanks

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they got the code its sc 98 which is ECU to Gauge Comm Link - H2
and they cleared it and been a week now and still have not got it going

·
Registered
95 Posts
Code 98 means that there is no communication between the ECM and the speedo. I would think that the problem could be with poor connections. Either at the guage or at the ECM. Ask the dealer if they checked that.
Check resistance between the two data link wires. These wires are directly connected bewteen the ECM and the guage.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have not seen anything anywhere and I searched specifically for him.
Only thing I found was that link I posted and the guy was in the same boat as him, back and forth at the dealer and dealer was back and forth with Arctic Cat then mysteriously fixed itself?????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My prowler is still at the dealer had to leave town to work will be home next week July 30 and will be at the dealer first thing hopefully its fixed if not will give them the suggestions you guys here suggested will keep you all updated Thanks for all the replys
Larry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well dealer finally got it working they called today you wouldn't beleive what it was they went though everthing wiring to ecm then they had only one more thing to check was to siphon the gas out and try new gas in it and guess what there was diesel fuel in the tank yes diesel my son been using the prowler while I was away working so I dont know if he put diesel in it by mistake or when he had it parked it was put in by someone trying to do a job to it but when I get home Monday I will be having a talk to him on it. Now I have another question will the engine be damaged and not last long because of this. He only drove about 1/4 mile before it started working bad and engine stalled.Thanks to all that replyed to my problem.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Good to hear that it didn't cause any permanant damage!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I did that once. I had about 1 & 1/2 gal in a can in my garage and grabbed it for a camp trip. I threw it in and of course the rig would barley run. For some reason I checked the smell of the gas can and found it was some left over biodiesel. I quickly siphoned out the tank and refilled it and never had a problem other than taking a bunch of ribbing from my friends.

Glad you found out the cause. The dealer should be commended for staying after it. Bet next time they check the gas first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts