Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I stated in a different thread, I have sold my Prowler in an attempt to purchase a true 4 seater UTV. Three that I have my eye on are the Kawasaki Teryx-4 750, Polaris RZR-4 800, and the Pioneer 700-4. I'm primarily looking at these because I have a limited budget, and per their dimensions I believe they should fit in my toyhauler trailer.

I have no experience with any of these machines. I was wondering if any of you have any direct experience with them? Or have friends that might have one? Are your friends happy with them? What are their pros and their cons?

My type of riding will strictly be used for mountain trails to haul the family around or for hunting in the mountains. I'm not a mud bogger. I'm not a duner (anymore). So I don't need a speed demon, but power would be a plus. It would also be nice to have something a little more quiet than the Prowler.

So if any of you have some feedback or feedback from friends, please share......:)

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
No direct knowledge, but seems like the Kawasaki has received high marks, and over all fit and finish is good! Make sure you get what you want! Either way, we will give you static!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No direct knowledge, but seems like the Kawasaki has received high marks, and over all fit and finish is good! Make sure you get what you want! Either way, we will give you static!
If I got what I want, it would likely be the new Honda Pioneer 1000-5 or the new 2016 Kawasaki Teryx-4 800.....:) However, they just aren't in the budget. So I have to look at those other three....:)

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
How doe's the price compare between the Kawasaki, and Honda? What about aftermarket support?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Shane ... are you a member of Costco ??

in our location [Sparks, Nv.] they have had a Terex 4 on display on and off for a long time ... they have through the car / motor sports program "Costco" priced these with the negotiated deals they do ... don't know what the savings is but well worth looking into as that program is through a Corporate program not regional so you should have something in your area also as there are Costco's there too.

should be worth looking into ... also you can contact the Costco auto program online and or via phone and see what's up

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have experience with both machines in the 2 seater versions. I have RZR S 800 and my father has a teryx 750 sport. The pros of the rzr are that it is very quiet inside compared to a lot of machines, I have around 2000 miles and haven't had an issue. Its got lots of power for climbing and very seldom do I find myself reaching for the low range shifter. the Teryx is also a very good machine in my opinion, ride quality is excellent with the upgraded shock package and it has plenty of power to get around. The only issue we have encountered is on the more open roads we sometimes find ourselves on it tends to run a bit hot and its speed restricted so it take a little longer to get there. we ride very similar terrain, mostly mountain trails and very seldom see muddy conditions. To be honest, as far as a four seat machine for me I wouldn't hesitate to buy either but for longer mileage trail trips I think the RZR 4 wins out by a thin margin. Also, the biggest difference we have noticed between machines is my the fuel mileage on the rzr is much better than the teryx so that might be a consideration as well.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Now that was Helpful! First hand knowledge is priceless!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shane ... are you a member of Costco ??

in our location [Sparks, Nv.] they have had a Terex 4 on display on and off for a long time ... they have through the car / motor sports program "Costco" priced these with the negotiated deals they do ... don't know what the savings is but well worth looking into as that program is through a Corporate program not regional so you should have something in your area also as there are Costco's there too.

should be worth looking into ... also you can contact the Costco auto program online and or via phone and see what's up
Gary, I am a member of Costco and I have been drooling for years every time I go into Costco and check out the Teryx-4's they have had on display. :D I never really looked into cost there because I didn't expect to buy new. However, it wouldn't be a bad idea just to see. A new machine would be sweet, but my wife wouldn't like the new payment that goes with it.>:) I will try and price it just to compare. Thx.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have experience with both machines in the 2 seater versions. I have RZR S 800 and my father has a teryx 750 sport. The pros of the rzr are that it is very quiet inside compared to a lot of machines, I have around 2000 miles and haven't had an issue. Its got lots of power for climbing and very seldom do I find myself reaching for the low range shifter. the Teryx is also a very good machine in my opinion, ride quality is excellent with the upgraded shock package and it has plenty of power to get around. The only issue we have encountered is on the more open roads we sometimes find ourselves on it tends to run a bit hot and its speed restricted so it take a little longer to get there. we ride very similar terrain, mostly mountain trails and very seldom see muddy conditions. To be honest, as far as a four seat machine for me I wouldn't hesitate to buy either but for longer mileage trail trips I think the RZR 4 wins out by a thin margin. Also, the biggest difference we have noticed between machines is my the fuel mileage on the rzr is much better than the teryx so that might be a consideration as well.
Thanks for the feedback. I know there are places that rent machines, and I've thought about seeing if I can find a place that has a Teryx-4 or RZR-4 800. I just hate having to pay money to find out. Although like you mentioned, either one would likely be nice to have.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Gary, I am a member of Costco and I have been drooling for years every time I go into Costco and check out the Teryx-4's they have had on display. :D I never really looked into cost there because I didn't expect to buy new. However, it wouldn't be a bad idea just to see. A new machine would be sweet, but my wife wouldn't like the new payment that goes with it.>:) I will try and price it just to compare. Thx.
let us know what you find out ..

BTW .. monday I'll be passing by U , have to take my new trailer in for warranty repairs [La Grand Or] .. I'll honk lol keep yours ears open :) ... I'll be going north on 95 to 84 then on in to La Grand .. be there at least 3 days as they have to pull the slide and replace flooring [screws over installed and came through floor] plus some other minor stuff like all new rigs have these days.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the Polaris a lot quieter than the Teryx (motor/drivetrain noise, etc.)? Or is it too little to compare? Is the power responsive on both the Polaris and Teryx, or does it take time to spool up? What is the top speed on the two (although I know the 2 and 4 seat will be different)?

Most of my research on the RZR-4 800 directs me on upgrading to the 900 because of so much more power. While that would be nice, I just don't think I could afford one. Plus, by specs they are a little longer than the 800 and questionable whether it would fit in my current toyhauler.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
the extra power would be nice do to length alone , you'll get into area's where the power will get you over the sharp trail to trail humps or the Kelly humps where your length gaps the bottoms .. might be worth the few months longer payments if in fact you finance it .... but fully understand household budget constraints :)

·
Registered
293 Posts

I find it is easier to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission. >:) Just saying! Either way I think they both are great machines. :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I find it is easier to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission. >:) Just saying! Either way I think they both are great machines. :)
I've already done that twice pertaining to my toys. I'm running out of "Get out of jail (or dog house) free cards".....:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have limited input, I drove a rzr 50" on the trails in Black River Falls in June and really liked it. It handled well and was significantly quieter than my Prowler. I still prefer the Rzr 60" and will more than likely own one in the near future.
I was thinking about you this week when I was in Boise/Nampa. The weather wasn't great but it wasn't awful either.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Is the Polaris a lot quieter than the Teryx (motor/drivetrain noise, etc.)? Or is it too little to compare? Is the power responsive on both the Polaris and Teryx, or does it take time to spool up? What is the top speed on the two (although I know the 2 and 4 seat will be different)?

Most of my research on the RZR-4 800 directs me on upgrading to the 900 because of so much more power. While that would be nice, I just don't think I could afford one. Plus, by specs they are a little longer than the 800 and questionable whether it would fit in my current toyhauler.
Shane if you are gonna go the rzr route get a 900,and it is just as or more Quite than the 4-seat Teryx,the guys on the teryx forum are doing the same as prowler guys as for as adding insulation.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Seems like all makes share the same issue's, noise, and heat!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did do some reading on the Teryx-4 forum, and there were a lot of guys complaining about how loud the engine/drive train noise is on the Teryx-4. So that is a little concerning to me. That was one of my complaints about the Prowler. But then again, maybe that is all subjective. Maybe they haven't ever driven in a Prowler, and don't know what real noise is.....:D Maybe they are a lot quieter than the Prowler still. In the Prowler's defense, I did have a cab kit on mine which probably made mine 100 times worse.

It really would be nice to be able to ride in both the RZR-4 800 and Teryx-4 750 just to get a good comparison.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
In my research so far this appears to be some of the pros and cons of these two machines. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong since this is only based off of reading other people's comments.

Teryx-4:

Pros:

1. Appears to be a well built machine.
2. Decent power for its purpose
3. Good 4wd system with the differential lock
4. Air filter location in good spot up under the front hood
5. Good cabin space both front and rear seats
6. All around good utility machine with a little bit of sport thrown in

Cons:

1. Noisy motor / drive train
2. Air filter is a compressed fit rather than a clamp on.
3. Not a ton of cargo space
4. Crappy gas pedal angle

RZR-4 800

Pros:

1. Supposed to be pretty quiet in comparison
2. Decent power
3. Pretty good suspension
4. Gives a little sportier feel

Cons:

1. Poor air filter location and box design (need to make sure of proper seal)
2. Surprisingly cab space is less (despite longer wheel base)
3. No differential lock (I guess it is more of a limited slip 4wd setup which concerns me. However, talking to some it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem)
4. Longer wheel base which could be a problem on tighter trails

So the big complaint I possibly would have with the Teryx-4 is if it is pretty loud. That would make me lean towards the RZR-4 800. However, I like the idea of differential lock on the Teryx-4 over the limited slip of the RZR. And that would make me lean towards the Teryx.........Decisions, Decisions......:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts