Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need some help.

We're in Silver Lake duning around and have an issue. I was channeling my inner Louis Hamilton pretending to be an F1 driver around the puddles, the engine got a bit hot and started throwing p0116 and was steaming from the front a little.

We let it cool down and now when we start it it no longer leaks/smokes from the front, but smells like coolant under the seat and intermittently throws P0116 and is running in limp mode.

We're trying to bandaid it so we can just put around tomorrow, but obviously not if it's going to hurt the motor. Google has brought me answers anything brown a popped head gasket to an air bubble in the coolant lines, I can't seem to find the coolant tank to check for bubbles (admitting I haven't looked hard for it as we just got back to camp) but can't remember off hand ever seeing it.

My machine has 1500 miles on it and we've loved every minute. I hope it's not hurt too bad.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Welcome to the site! Do you live in Michigan? Sure sounds like a blown head gasket. Are you getting any white smoke out of the exhaust? Check your coolant level, top it off, and start your machine. See if you have any air bubbles in the radiator. Next, with the engine running, loosen one of the hose clamps near the thermostat housing. This should allow any trapped air to escape. These things can be a royal pain at times to get all of the air out! You may have to purge the air several times. Are you still at Silver Lake?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup we live in Pleasant Lake south of Lansing. Our AC is primarily a farm work horse, but we're still at SL for the day. We're staying at the state park with some friends.

There is no coolant in the exhaust (first thing we checked still on the dunes) and it doesn't sound like its misfiring or anything.

I'll check the rest of the stuff right now we just woke up for breakfast

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a diagnostic mode or any combination of buttons to push to show temps or any extra info on the dash. The radiator took 2 water bottles of water, but no real bubbles in the top when running (like say a HG failure) lots of turbulence and a few random bubbles now and then like the wp is doing its job.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I searched several sites with lots of different issues causing the code. Seems most say the code is the "Electronic Coolant Sensor", some have said their radiators were blocked and just hosed them out to stop the overheating. One had a small gasket leak at the thermostat, that could explain the smell and low on coolant could cause a vapor lock as mentioned. Is the radiator fan kicking on? could have a blown fuse. I didn't get the code you have but my radiator cap got weak and kept blowing coolant out the overflow causing overheating.

Just throwing out some ideas I've read, good luck on finding the problem and Welcome to the site!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Minus the broken exhaust heat shield (which I have no idea how it happened) does that open tube spitting stuff all over everything look normal?

Not sure what the tube hooks to yet but I did find a pic of it on page 41 of the service manual. For some reason I can't get pics to upload for the last few days.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts