Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not taken delivery on this '09 Prowler 550 flatbed yet. Can pick another model. See a lot of accessories not available for this discontinued model. Should I pick another model? Please help with your opinions.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure the 550 would be a really great car. Keep this in mind you can never get enough power and the 550 is at the bottom. If you want a flat bed there is another member that bought a 700 with one.
Thanks for your help. I am 67 years old and this new Prowler 550H1 is $8215.00 total and my budget is stretched. Thought I might up-grade in a couple of years without a big loss. This AC has the stakes and a 3 year factory warranty. The 700cc jumps more than $2000.00 with the standard length warranty.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sure the 550 would be a really great car. Keep this in mind you can never get enough power and the 550 is at the bottom. If you want a flat bed there is another member that bought a 700 with one.
Thank you for your reply. Your opinion is important to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like a good deal. There are some good used units out there also. You may be able to get a 700 for a good deal or 650. If the flat bed is really what you want then it may be hard to come by used. I am sure the 550 will work great for you. What type of ridding are you after?
I just want get around the rural areas. Most of the used ATVs here have been run hard and put away wet. I am looking. 5 mph would be fast enough for me and my grandkids. Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The 550 should be fine for your needs. I have the 700 flatbed, and the tilt-steering in my opinion is a liability for the machine. The tilt linkage makes the steering sloppy with at least 1.5 inches of play. This is not just my machine, I checked all the new ones out at my dealer. Non-tilt is fine, tilt is sloppy. Yes, I like the 700 power, but then those with 1000 cc motors are hooked on that. I needed a flatbed for hauling large odd-sized items. Absolute power is not even an issue for me. I would have been happy with the 550 and a little richer as well!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 550 should be fine for your needs. I have the 700 flatbed, and the tilt-steering in my opinion is a liability for the machine. The tilt linkage makes the steering sloppy with at least 1.5 inches of play. This is not just my machine, I checked all the new ones out at my dealer. Non-tilt is fine, tilt is sloppy. Yes, I like the 700 power, but then those with 1000 cc motors are hooked on that. I needed a flatbed for hauling large odd-sized items. Absolute power is not even an issue for me. I would have been happy with the 550 and a little richer as well!
Dave-O-Matic, thank you very much for your comments. I was thinking about the tilt steering and set behind a non-tilt. It fit me perfectly. I am 6'2" and it was just right. Thanks for sharing. Cookieman

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave-O-Matic, thank you very much for your comments. I was thinking about the tilt steering and set behind a non-tilt. It fit me perfectly. I am 6'2" and it was just right. Thanks for sharing. Cookieman
Dave-O--Matic, The 550 has been great. There is no sand here, so the power has been more than enough. The hauling ability is great. Your reply to me in Nov was much appreciated. Thanks again. My wife likes it so much that now I,m looking for a set of rims and hard surface tires so she can visit all the folks in the neighborhood. Cookieman842

·
Registered
48 Posts
Glad you like it. I've thought all along that the 550 is the best deal Arctic Cat offers. Now if they could ever make the engine a little quieter on all the models, I'd be thrilled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bottom and Arm Plates

I need a few recommandations on a set of skid plates for a 2009 Artic Cat 550 H1? Use is mainly in the woods and trails? Some plates are aluminum and some steel. Tell me what you think. Thanks, cookieman842

·
Registered
109 Posts
I need a few recommandations on a set of skid plates for a 2009 Artic Cat 550 H1? Use is mainly in the woods and trails? Some plates are aluminum and some steel. Tell me what you think. Thanks, cookieman842
Hi there. How many miles do you have on your 550? I am gettin a 09 also, and havent been able to find much about them. So just curious as to how many are actually out and about. And how they are holding up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think u will be happier with the 700. U can also buy a new last year model, for a great deal also if u can find one. I bought my 07 650 h1 brand new in Dec. 08 for 8300.00 including winch and three year extended warranty. Just a suggestion. Now i wish i had the 700 with fuel injection though. Mine pulls 28's in thick mud with four peolpe in it pretty good, but i would like to have more power. I think changing the clutches would help to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts