Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally took my '06 Prowler on a real ride for the first time since my ownership. Past summary is I rebuilt the motor due to broken bevel gears from the previous owner, tore apart the front and rear differentials to replace seals, and replaced the rear brake pads. So needless to say I was finally happy to get it out and see what it would do. But I was sensitive to every noise this thing made due to all the repairs I put into it.

So there were two noises it was making that disturbed me. It was making a clicking noise while driving, and a kind of clattering noise when I braked sometimes. Despite these noises it seemed to drive really well. So the first thing I did when I got home was put the back on jackstands and proceeded to drive and spin the tires. The clicking noise appears to be coming from the rear brake pads. I noticed it chattering back and forth when I was spinning the tires. The previous pads I replaced did seem to have uneven wear. Although it doesn't necessarily look like it, maybe the rotor is warped.

But here is the thing. I can reach down and jostle the brake pad by hand. That doesn't seem right. Pads are installed correctly. Do those sleeves they slide on wear out? Can you guys reach down and jockey your rear pads by hand? I'm worried that if the pads can be moved by hand that they will just rattle even if I replace the rotor. Do I likely need a new rear caliper as well? Any input from the more experienced owners is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wondered to if I could pull off both the rear pads and take it for a test drive that way? Wondered if both the noises I'm hearing would be eliminated by removing the rear pads out of the equation. However, will that damage the rear caliper piston by having no resistance against it?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
There's a lot post about the brake pads, the noise is a well know issue. You should have two springs (one for each pad) that hook to the pad and around the caliper. That will help some, I haven't tried it yet but some are saying to put a hose (I think 5/8" id I'll try to find the post) and put it under the springs and that will stop the noise.

·
Registered
733 Posts
sounds like you have a problem that is fairly common. I believe some of the members have found that replacing the rotor will remedy this problem. as well there is a kit now offered that will reduce this chattering, it's basically just two anti vibration springs that will help reduce the noise. My 2010 came with the springs on there already and I still find there's chatter when I brake hard but its nothing major. my brakes will move around a little bit just by grabbing them, I find it beneficial for the type of riding I do to have a little bit of play because my prowler sees quite a bit of mud in the spring and this helps them clean out without wearing on the pads too bad. try the updated kit first maybe, its really inexpensive and I'm sure someone here can give you the part number. from what you're describing though it doesn't sound like any major issue, just more of an annoying noise than anything. Doesn't sound to me like its doing any damage.

Hope this helps,
Mitch

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Wondered to if I could pull off both the rear pads and take it for a test drive that way? Wondered if both the noises I'm hearing would be eliminated by removing the rear pads out of the equation. However, will that damage the rear caliper piston by having no resistance against it?
I would say definitely don't run it without the brake pads... the piston could come out too far and damage that calliper beyond repair and at very least make a big mess when it pukes brake fluid everywhere. i would suggest trying the springs and go from there.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was not aware this was a common issue (sorry, I should have done a search first). My pads do not have springs. Are they supposed too, or is this part of the upgrade kit that was mentioned?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So I read the details on this link. My machine is making a noise both while driving and while braking. Are others experiencing the same both while driving and braking? Wasn't too many details on that link whether people were having good luck eleminating the noises.

Do I need to order only one spring kit for the rear? I'm thinking of ordering a spring kit and a new rotor. Does anybody know if there are better aftermarket rotors out now for the '06 Prowler?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I haven't seen any aftermarket rotors but if anybody knows of one I would be really interested to find one, I put EBC brake pads on mine and that also helped the noise a lot. OUTWEST, I would start by adding EBC's and the spring kit unless the noise is really bad when driving. The truth is that that rotor and brake setup is in a really hot and dirty spot and wear is inevitable.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just picked up a spring kit from my dealer tonight. I'm going to give them a try and see if that eliminates "both" the noises I'm hearing. I'll test drive it again tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it will eliminate the noise I was getting while driving as I was watching the pad clatter back and forth while I was spinning the tires while up on jack stands. I'm not so sure on the second noise I'm hearing. Maybe a warped rotor contributing, but hopefully the spring kit will take care of both noises. I'll know more tomorrow.....

·
Registered
733 Posts
Good luck, hope it works well for you, if it still keeps up I would highly recommend the upgrade to the EBC pads if its cheaper than a new rotor, might be worth a try and would save you some installation time. Mine still make a little bit of chatter when under hard braking but I can live with the level of noise now.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
brakes

there is a fix,i learned this from a very smart person that was on this forum,that was was my biggest complaint when i bought my prowler new,was the rear brake chatter.start out with a set of ebc brakes put your spring kit on your rear caliber and take a power steering return hose from a car or truck,the one i used is around 7/8 outside dia,the hose needs to be stout,no give to it.cut it around 3'' long or longer,and put between spring kit and caliper,i did this to mine and no more brake chatter,might not be a fix for everyone,but it was for me,i put up with chatter for 5 years.also i did not replace rotor,and i have even left my e-brake on more than once.you can buy a brake rotor from ebc for around 60 bucks i believe.hopes this helps................

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
there is a fix,i learned this from a very smart person that was on this forum,that was was my biggest complaint when i bought my prowler new,was the rear brake chatter.start out with a set of ebc brakes put your spring kit on your rear caliber and take a power steering return hose from a car or truck,the one i used is around 7/8 outside dia,the hose needs to be stout,no give to it.cut it around 3'' long or longer,and put between spring kit and caliper,i did this to mine and no more brake chatter,might not be a fix for everyone,but it was for me,i put up with chatter for 5 years.also i did not replace rotor,and i have even left my e-brake on more than once.you can buy a brake rotor from ebc for around 60 bucks i believe.hopes this helps................
Are you running your anti-rattle springs through that added hose? I wouldn't mind getting a rotor for $60, but I'm not finding any EBC or aftermarket rear rotors for my Prowler. Everything else I'm finding is OEM and is at least $90+.

I've been thinking of trying to find a more stout spring at my local hardware store that I can adapt and fit. Maybe work a little better than this weaker oem spring.

I have two noises that mine is making. I have a constant clicking noise while driving that I'm pretty sure the anti-rattle springs (or stiffer springs) will take care of. The second noise is I believe while braking only (I can't remember if it was during slowing down either, but I think while braking). This is a clatter and I thought the machine would buck a little when making this noise (need to test again to be sure). But this one was leading me to believe maybe a warped rotor despite not really able to see it.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
brakes

outwest,how you doing.on that hose you want to slide it in between the caliper and springs,that will make the springs over the hose. and yes i have the articcat spring kit. mine would chatter every time i touch the brakes,unless i hit them really hard.the rotor i priced was from ebc,unless she gave me the wrong price,but i didnt need it anyways.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
outwest,how you doing.on that hose you want to slide it in between the caliper and springs,that will make the springs over the hose. and yes i have the articcat spring kit. mine would chatter every time i touch the brakes,unless i hit them really hard.the rotor i priced was from ebc,unless she gave me the wrong price,but i didnt need it anyways.
I can't find an EBC rear rotor for my Prowler. So I emailed EBC to see if they make one, but I haven't heard back.

Seems like a crappy setup from Arctic Cat. I don't notice anything on the fronts. Maybe AC should have went with 4 wheel discs brakes.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
brakes

i agree,when i bought mine new i rode it down the road and turned around and called the a/c shop and told them the rear brakes where chattering, and they said that was normal,and that a/c was working on a fix,i had to wait 3 months before a/c produced the spring kit,and that still didnt fix it.i wasnt real happy buying a new prowler that sounded like junk.thats why this forum has been real good to me.lot of great help.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Prowler was already broken and not running when I bought it. So I did not know anything about the Prowler (how it ran, sounded, or any short comings about it). I'm very picky about unwanted noises. If I would have known these were "normal" noises and you are just supposed to live with it beforehand, then I may not have purchased it. But I'll do my best to eliminate the noises. I installed the springs, but I haven't test drove it yet (have to wait till the wife gets home to watch the kids). But I can still move the pads by hand a little. So I'm going to see what I can do about finding a stiffer spring. I might purchase a set of EBC pads as well, but I'm going to drill a small hole on the corner of the pads to make it easier to hook a spring into the hole. For a little piece of mind, I still may purchase a new rotor as well. My wife is already pissed about the continued cost and time of spent on this Prowler. She wasn't too happy when I purchased a broken toy.....:D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you might have yourself a warped rotor.. A really good tell tale sign is look for unusual wear patterns on the rotor itself.. it may appear that the metal is more worn in certain spots and less in others. I'd be very interested as well if I could get an EBC rotor for my buggy, I really like the pads so I would assume the rotor matched with it would be excellent.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I took the Prowler out again after installing the anti-rattle springs. Good news is, noise #1 is gone. This was the constant click...click.....click I was hearing while driving which was actually the most annoying noise to me.

Problem is #2 noise is still there. This is a clatter noise just when braking. It didn't seem like it was coming from the rotor. This does kind of sound like drivetrain noise, but I'm not 100% sure. The Prowler drives really well. Sounds good while driving (no abnormal noises, not overly loud but about normal for these machines I guess). I can get on it and letoff and coast and will not get any of the clatter noise until I actually brake.

So if this is drivetrain noise from internals, what does that mean? Should I be concerned about driving like this?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
brakes

outwest,thats the same noise i had,glad you got it running.try rocky mountain atv 1 800 336-5437 rotornumber 1045330002 brake number 1045010050 ebc

1 - 20 of 86 Posts