Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking to buy either a prowler or Polaris Ranger. I know I want power
steering and a snow plow. Has anyone owned both or have any input as to which one is the better machine and why. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi I am looking to buy either a prowler or Polaris Ranger. I know I want power
steering and a snow plow. Has anyone owned both or have any input as to which one is the better machine and why. Thanks for your help
i would go with the prowler as it has a higher top speed and can be used for play, not just pushing snow around youre property. when i think of a ranger i think of school bus style seating and steering, low power, poor ergonomics, and the reputation of polaris has been diminishing with the problems they have been having with the xp and xp1k rzrs.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
hi i am looking to buy either a prowler or polaris ranger. I know i want power
i would go with the prowler,i believe both are good machines,i do know the ranger is quieter,if you go to the ranger FORUM there gonna tell you to buy a ranger..............your choice.:):) THE PROWLER DOES HAVE A TRUE LOCKING FRONT DIFFERENTIAL.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
for the differential alone I would go Prowler , as for power steering IMHO not needed in any rig.

the deal on the diff .. in a PoPO ya have to be spinning a tire for lockup .. in a Prowler flick the switch and lock 'er in , no loss of momentum when ya need it most

On Edit … if ya want power the XTZ has plenty of it :)

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
a buddy of mine has a Polaris xp 900 ranger ,,,good running ,very quiet, and rides very nice BUT the 4 wheel drive is horrable, no diff lock and no engine brake.and also even he says its like sitting on a park bench,very uncomfortable.ill stick with my prowler,all day long:D

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
I Looked at different machines when I got into the UTV sport. My friends all have Ranger's and they use them around their property, and a little trail riding. Almost all of them have had clutch issues. I picked up a used Prowler with 366 miles on it, I now have 4,700 miles on it and would not trade it for anything! I use mine for snow plowing, works great with the 6 Ft. plow, top speed on mine is 53-55, and is comfortable on the trails! It is XTX with 2 seats, if 3 seats is your fancy, then look at the HDX, if more speed is needed, do like Gary suggested and go with the XTZ.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My father has a 800 ranger crew le. It is a 2012 with the 72" boss plow and has 3250 miles on it had a few issues when first bought due to a horrible dealership. We have worked the issues out. And it is a great machine, no problems with his rangers transmission has plenty of power to carry the heaviest loads up the steepest hill and it is very nimble for a bus. The smooth riding of the ranger in my opinion gives a more positive feed back to the driver and awareness to his surroundings.

As for my xtz I hate the suspension it's like riding in my 5.0 why even have shocks. As for power and speed it is ungodly:D and I love it. 300lbs of mulch in the bed and cruise down the highway 65mph no problem.

If you want it for more play go with the prowler. The ranger is your true work horse.

The great thing about the side by side world is that each rig (not just polaris and ac) is that each and every rig is designed for a certain type of riding style.

Pure sports - maverick wildcat and rzr Xp
Work/sports - ranger Xp 900 prowler xtz commander
Work - rhino/Viking, big red and ranger 800, prowler hdx

There are also several other models available and the above categories are only a personal opinion. Other may agree to disagree. But all in all you must buy the rig tailored to your riding style and usage. Or you'll not be happy.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
i would go with the prowler as it has a higher top speed and can be used for play, not just pushing snow around youre property. when i think of a ranger i think of school bus style seating and steering, low power, poor ergonomics, and the reputation of polaris has been diminishing with the problems they have been having with the xp and xp1k rzrs.

Polaris RZR 4 catches fire in Glamis Sand Dunes. - YouTube
I CANT BELIEVE ALL THOSE RIDERS STANDING AROUND,AND NO FIRE EXTINGUISHER..MAYBE THEY WANTED IT TO BURN,I CARRY ONE AND I WILL USE IT IF I NEED TO.......MY OLD BUGGY IS NOT WORTH ANYTHING EVEN IF I HAD INSURANCE.BUT IS SURE TO ME.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help . I am not looking for anything with speed. Am older and just want something reliable for around the property. GREAT FORUM

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
we're not older just have a few years under our belt as you.

I'm 67 in a month but you'd never know it if I didn't tell [or so my kids say] LOL .. these other guys have a few years also.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
thanks for all the help . I am not looking for anything with speed. Am older and just want something reliable for around the property. Great forum
i would really consider the hdx,i was at the dealer yesterday and the owner said they have not had any complaints on the hdx.i think its comes in a 500 and a 700.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I wonder if any quieter than ours????:confused:

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
I ran across a 2012 HDX at out local trailhead, at idle it seemed to be about the same, but being deaf, you can take this for what it's worth! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I've never ridden in one but in would think it migh have a little less engine noise since it sets back farther to allow for the bench seat. There's a guy in town that bought one last year I need to find out who it is and go for a ride.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
i've never ridden in one but in would think it migh have a little less engine noise since it sets back farther to allow for the bench seat. There's a guy in town that bought one last year i need to find out who it is and go for a ride.
i think it would be,i believe the motor sits back 8'' more than the prowler................................

·
Registered
2 Posts
2009 prowler 1000 axles i need help

Are the cv spline the same on both sides of the rear axle I have a long travel kit with summers brothers axles it seems not. I have tried new cvs they sent me the same size spline .Did not fit. my axle one side is bigger than the other Then I got a fact axle took off the cvs thy don't fit. it looks like arctic cat changed the splines . I need help:(:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Welcome to the best prowler site,not sure on the xtz axles,someone will chime in and help you out.i know 650 and 700 axles are the same.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
are the cv spline the same on both sides of the rear axle i have a long travel kit with summers brothers axles it seems not. I have tried new cvs they sent me the same size spline .did not fit. My axle one side is bigger than the other then i got a fact axle took off the cvs thy don't fit. It looks like arctic cat changed the splines . I need help:(:eek:
whats wrong with your summers brothers axles.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts