Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here and can start a new thread. one of my buddies just bought a prowler 650 and hes not real computer savy; so he asked that i help get some info...

Anyways, he looking for ways to adhance performance on the 650 motor. he has a leaky base gasket so he's going to tare the top end apart and was wondering if there is anything worth while doing to increase displacment and HP, or is it even worth it. Also, any clutch mods that could help would be great as well.

lastly, are there guys doing any motor swaps on these things and if so are they able to keep 4 wheel drive? is it possible to swap a prowler 1000 motor into these with minimal work? what other motors are they using out there?

sorry for so many questions, but i know nothing about these things as i have a rhino and really spend most of my time dealing with them, but could really use help with some prowler imput. thanks for all your help in advance.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
CDI Box. Would help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to this site, I think I see over on rf and 411
LOL, Ya ricky im all over the place; RF, 411, RT, RF, SXSD, teryxforums, rzrforums... haha... mostly at 411 or RF. thanks for the welcome bro...

CDI Box. Would help.
what CDI do you recommend?

Just tell em what you got and what you are trying to do and he will take care of it. Stay away from the wet clutch delete.
so no dry clutch, how do these things work? do they use rollers and springs like a rhino, or something different... what do they typically change? is there ways to increase top speed with a sheave or otherwise?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the site.
1. Speedwerx for big bore stuff.
2. Airdam for clutch mods.
3. Engine swaps work great. Thunder cat or xtz or my personal favorite Rotax.
thanks for the speedwerx info! my boy is going to call them and see what options we have. are you guys doing carbs, intakes, exhaust on these motors. any dyno reports/results on here i can look at for any of these mods?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep rollers and springs like the rhinos or similar anyway. Most people that get real serious with the 650's do the big bore w/ more compression. CDI. Head porting & polish & cams. The exhaust and carb too. But there is some good gains from the clutching to be had.
cool, and idea on the HP increase? i know good clutching makes a big difference on any machine; so i would guys this is a good mod for the prowler too...

what compression are most running. are they going 11-12 or more like 13-14 running race fuel? whos exhaust are people running?

thanks for all the help, this is valuable info!

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Ya we do some stuff,,, What up john? it's Rick aka Hapa, how are you? It is John right?

These guys are the OG's of building Arctic Cat's, Warlock and Sandchris built Rotax Arctic Cats and showed it to Maxpowers, and Brianb was in diapers lol

You can get alot out of the 650, make way faster than most Rhino's

Or he can build a Commander killer like mine:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya we do some stuff,,, What up john? it's Rick aka Hapa, how are you? It is John right?

These guys are the OG's of building Arctic Cat's, Warlock and Sandchris built Rotax Arctic Cats and showed it to Maxpowers, and Brianb was in diapers lol

You can get alot out of the 650, make way faster than most Rhino's

Or he can build a Commander killer like mine:D

what up hapa! hows it going bro, im good man, just busy and getting ready to start my tube chassis busa build with rhino body; lol... cant wait!!!

I saw a prowler 1000 for sale on UTVU, but man i cant see spending the 4k unless its a simple swap and it was insane power... what kinds of things do you have to change to put in the 1000 in the 650 and is it worth it? I think he just wants to get a little more without losing reliability.

BTW, im a big fan of commander killers! got any vid yet of you eating them alive?

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
no video's all my cameras are broke at the time lol, But I am representing! And i have to get some video this season.

I say go the Rotax swap to replace the 650 if you do it. The 1000 Arctic cat is pretty corked up, you can get more easier and cheaper out of a Rotax 840 or so.

I must admit the new Rzr 900x thing will be the one to watch,, light and fast is what I have learned.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Sandchris will have to tell you how hard the swap was with the Rotax, I haven't heard of a 1000 to 650 Arctic Cat, I think they are totally different and a basic start over like the Rotax.

Good luck on The Busa Rhino, keep us posted also we are a just a bunch of wrench heads anyways, its all good

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no video's all my cameras are broke at the time lol, But I am representing! And i have to get some video this season.

I say go the Rotax swap to replace the 650 if you do it. The 1000 Arctic cat is pretty corked up, you can get more easier and cheaper out of a Rotax 840 or so.

I must admit the new Rzr 900x thing will be the one to watch,, light and fast is what I have learned.
ya, i agree... ive never been an RZR fan, but the new 900 is a little bit of a beast! ive been eyeballing the 840 myself. i swore i wouldnt dump another penny into my money pit especially doing a motorswap since im building anotherone, but that 840 with a little bit of work is an animal!!!

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Karls and Brian Pievehouse and Maxpowers are probably as fast or a little faster than my Arctic Cat with their built 840's. My clutch is not perfect yet but my Prowler motors through the dunes, so much low end i double the whoops easily, It is the fastest I have ever gone in a Utv thats for sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Karls and Brian Pievehouse and Maxpowers are probably as fast or a little faster than my Arctic Cat with their built 840's. My clutch is not perfect yet but my Prowler motors through the dunes, so much low end i double the whoops easily, It is the fastest I have ever gone in a Utv thats for sure.
all this info is great news for my boy, but im not so sure that its good news for me... I have a feeling joining the forum is going to hurt the pocket book once again... thanks Hapa!!! damnit!

ya, Brian P. and Karls rhinos are real fast with the rotax... ive been very impressed with their cars. we had some races at the 411 glamis M&G a few weeks ago and both those guys were up in front... Charles was able to pull ahead in his commander 1000 with a build clutch, but not by much...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts