Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks. I just picked up a 2013 Prowler XTX.
looking forward to learning and sharing any lessons I might learn.

thanks for having me.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Howdy folks. I just picked up a 2013 Prowler XTX.
looking forward to learning and sharing any lessons I might learn.

thanks for having me.
Welcome to the best prowler site,glad to have you,lots of great members,and a lot of great info...............:):)

·
Registered
2 Posts
2008 Prowler with engine problems

Hello all, I am new at this so please bear with me . I purchased a prowler last fall wanting to make it my hunting buggy but have been having all kinds of problems. Carb and others now I am having timing chain problems engine has less than 1000 mi this was a new factory replacement engine reset the timing it starts right up runs fine slow down or stop chain jumps you have to rest the chain and gear I have tried 2 different tensioners same thing I have the old engine and looked at the chain and gears they look about the same 3000 mi on them is the 650 bad about stretching and wear on chain and gears? any ideas on what I can do ?:confused::confused:

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ihill, and Essness! What kind of condition is the rear chain guide? With a good chain tensioner it seems almost impossible to jump timing. If the back chain guide is shot you will have to pull the head to R&R it. Also if you pull the head, you need new head bolts! One time use on those! Ask me how I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
welcome to both of you two

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Hello all, I am new at this so please bear with me . I purchased a prowler last fall wanting to make it my hunting buggy but have been having all kinds of problems. Carb and others now I am having timing chain problems engine has less than 1000 mi this was a new factory replacement engine reset the timing it starts right up runs fine slow down or stop chain jumps you have to rest the chain and gear I have tried 2 different tensioners same thing I have the old engine and looked at the chain and gears they look about the same 3000 mi on them is the 650 bad about stretching and wear on chain and gears? any ideas on what I can do ?:confused::confused:
Welcome to the prowler site.............never have heard of any problems on the 650 stretching chains or jumping time.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definatly a stretched chain or gear problem . I can reset the timing by top dead center mark and the 2 marks on the end of the camshaft to the housing close everything back up and it starts right up but will jump time again when you shut it down or let it get slack in timing chain. I made a manual tension adjuster out of one of my spring operated tensioners and it runs a little longer but it did jump time again. It looks like its time to open it up to see whats happening any lil tricks that I should try first ?????

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Definatly a stretched chain or gear problem . I can reset the timing by top dead center mark and the 2 marks on the end of the camshaft to the housing close everything back up and it starts right up but will jump time again when you shut it down or let it get slack in timing chain. I made a manual tension adjuster out of one of my spring operated tensioners and it runs a little longer but it did jump time again. It looks like its time to open it up to see whats happening any lil tricks that I should try first ?????
Sounds like you need to replace tensioner chain and gear.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
No special tricks to R&R the timing chain, the gear on the cam is taken off to remove the cam anyway, so nothing special there. You will need to pull the wet clutch to get the chain off, so you will need to drain the oil before you do anything. If you remove the head you will need new bolts, but you do not need to pull the head if you are just replacing the chain. Pretty straight forward job, you can do it in about 4 hours without pushing anything. Take your time and check your work. Have fun!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm re-introducing myself

;) Sorry folks, had some trouble getting back in for a while and needed to be an adult. But I'm back if you'll have me. :eek:
Still have the Rzr but missed the msg from Bryan last October to meet in Darlington.
Some memories....

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Welcome back Friend! We are still hanging out on here! Thinking about another Cheese Trails run this year!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts