Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've been scouring the boards for a few months since I bought my "project" Prowler. It is an 06 650 that was pretty much stock except for some shocks. I bought it with a blown up engine. I have added a cage which included deleting the bed. I'm still undecided on buying a new engine or re-powering it with a Can-am 800. For the 3K it looks like it will cost me from Cat for an engine I will be quite a ways towards the re-power.

I tried posting photos, but will have to wait until I have 15 post, I did upload to a gallery which should be available after a moderator approves the photos.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Hi everyone,
I've been scouring the boards for a few months since I bought my "project" Prowler. It is an 06 650 that was pretty much stock except for some shocks. I bought it with a blown up engine. I have added a cage which included deleting the bed. I'm still undecided on buying a new engine or re-powering it with a Can-am 800. For the 3K it looks like it will cost me from Cat for an engine I will be quite a ways towards the re-power.

I tried posting photos, but will have to wait until I have 15 post, I did upload to a gallery which should be available after a moderator approves the photos.
how much did they tell you at articcat for a motor,and do you know whats wrong with the 650 motor.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What is wrong with your 650 motor? I rebuilt mine, and it turned out to be easier than I thought. Might save yourself a lot of money by just rebuilding what you have (depending on what is wrong).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My engine dropped a valve, it has a hole in the jug, the head needs at least new a new guide and seat, but it is pretty hammered, it would probably need replaced. The piston was completely gone into little pieces. The rod bearing has lots of slop, and it punched a hole (fixable) in the case.
I started pricing out parts, and soon it becomes cheaper to buy a new one.
I had priced the engines, and was torn between $2300 shipped from Babbits, and a re-power. After reading Joe's Thread on here about trying to buy from everybody, then having to order from Cat for ($2699 plus tax), it becomes easier justify the extra money to swap the engine.

An arctic cat 1000 engine would also be nice, my thought on the swap was to add a bit more power, and add fuel injection. I have been searching, and found a few canam engines, but have not yet seen a used 1000 engine.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
what kind of price did you get on a canam motor,and also how will you know if the canam motor is a good one.just a thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still shopping, 3-4k on everything needed for a swap or 4-6k for a complete quad. Complete quad would be easier to make sure it is good. Engine only and I would have to do a compression test and check it out. But there always is a chance it's has problems.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My engine dropped a valve, it has a hole in the jug, the head needs at least new a new guide and seat, but it is pretty hammered, it would probably need replaced. The piston was completely gone into little pieces. The rod bearing has lots of slop, and it punched a hole (fixable) in the case.
I started pricing out parts, and soon it becomes cheaper to buy a new one.
I had priced the engines, and was torn between $2300 shipped from Babbits, and a re-power. After reading Joe's Thread on here about trying to buy from everybody, then having to order from Cat for ($2699 plus tax), it becomes easier justify the extra money to swap the engine.

An arctic cat 1000 engine would also be nice, my thought on the swap was to add a bit more power, and add fuel injection. I have been searching, and found a few canam engines, but have not yet seen a used 1000 engine.
Yeah, it didn't sound like anybody was honoring their advertised price when Joe was shopping....:mad:

I think the motor swap would be cool if not too much of a PIA. I would like to install a 1000 into mine, but I think the cost would be too great and trying to get everything to mesh up correctly.

I believe there was a member Sandchris that did a Canam swap on his, but I don't think he comes by anymore. But you might get some feedback from others that know him....

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I checked and a new 650 on arctic cat .com is 2511.00 shipped to your dealer

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't think the 700 motor was much more. At the very least, maybe try and get the 700 with the fuel injection....

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I don't think the 700 motor was much more. At the very least, maybe try and get the 700 with the fuel injection....
700 is 2699.00

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help guys,

If I decide to stick with the carb I will pretty much have a choice between the 650 or 700, and for the couple hundred dollars more the 700 should be a bit better. Mine had a 700 jug and piston on it. I would assume the carb is rejetted.

To go to fuel injection would require all the wiring, computer, and fuel injection system. To buys this stuff separately is very cost prohibitive, even on ebay. If I don't find a good deal on a 650/700 I will end up transplanting something else into it.

I think the difference between a arctic cat 1000 or a canam 800/1000 is very little when it comes to work involved. Both would require complete rewiring and some fab work to get everything hooked up.
Flying121 I would definately be interested in pick your buddys brain about his swap. I think I have it figured out in my head, but I sure I missed a bunch of stuff.

I have pretty much finished the cage and bed delete. I'm now to the point that I need to get an engine mounted so I can complete the seat mounts, new engine cover and custom shifter. I'm trying to keep everything sealed up tight and will sound deaden all the aluminum to try and keep engine noise down.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
project

if you get a chance take some pictures of your project,look up new projects in the forum,and put them there.keep us posted on how it is going.:cool:

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
X2 .... no pic's it didn't happen LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The site won't let me link to photobucket, or any site until I have 15 posts. I uploaded pics to my album here, I tried provide a link, but get the same error message. If you clink on my name the album is on the right of my profile screen. I will start a thread when I get some time to upload more photos from the beginning.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I just looked at the photos in your album. Pretty cool setup. I tell you what, I'm envious of guys like you and DJ that have the metal fabwork equipment and knowledge to fabricate a lot of your add ons. Makes me wish I lived back home in AZ where I was closer to you guys that could maybe help me fab up a 4 seat cage.......:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts