Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my name is George from the east valley outside of Phoenix. I own two AC a 2012 wildcat which is amazing and a 09 prowler XTZ 1000 which is trying my patience lol. So currently I am having a problem with the steering gear and mounting plate which I will search the posts first for a fix. Thank you for your time look forward to being part of this forum hopefully I can also contribute.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
welcome to the house ... another one of those brain blistered guys Eh :)

bunch of good folks around these parts, so hang you hat and sit a spell coffee be ready in a minute.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Hello everyone my name is George from the east valley outside of Phoenix. I own two AC a 2012 wildcat which is amazing and a 09 prowler XTZ 1000 which is trying my patience lol. So currently I am having a problem with the steering gear and mounting plate which I will search the posts first for a fix. Thank you for your time look forward to being part of this forum hopefully I can also contribute.
welcome.to the site,does your prowler have power steering. I wish I had both machines.I have heard of the steering plate breaking.have a new one welded in.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
de 3, Thank you that is the road we are getting ready to go down. No power steering on the 09. Welded the old plate back in the welds did not break but the plate still bent so it is on the way out and will be refabed. Hopefully there will be no more weak points.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
de 3, Thank you that is the road we are getting ready to go down. No power steering on the 09. Welded the old plate back in the welds did not break but the plate still bent so it is on the way out and will be refabed. Hopefully there will be no more weak points.
I will have to do close inspection of my mount also when I get back north [home] for the summer/fall .. so far no issues that I'm aware of ..

BTW did something happen to cause a failure like a wreck or a tree bashing ect ect.or just faulty/weak factory mounting ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gary, the stock steering gear went when I thought i would just roll over a rock on the trail at about 7 mph the left front wheel just flew out the steering wheel did not move but the plate ripped and steering gear bent. Also i did have some heavy duty tie rods on they did not break or bend. So then was told to try a rockzilla steering gear that maybe the old tie rods were to strong that there needed to be a weak point IE tie rod end. So that's what I did. Was out this past weak at a friends ranch was bout 4 mile back in the mountains coming down a hill 3-4 mph rolling over some rocks left front kicked out again this time bent the inner tie rod end and the plate pulled up so there we sat one wheel turning right the other left with few tools. Hour and half later with a tie down pair of pliers and a jack we were on our way slowly. The rockzilla steering gear did not bend thankfully. So with all that said I am going to replace the plate weld in some supports use the rockzilla steering gear my old heavy duty tie rods and thinking about putting in some steering stops and see where we go from there. Love the machine except for this weak point i can see if I was thrashing it but that is not the case. My friend had just ordered the 700 for his ranch and was not to impressed. Knowing the speed in which we were going that should have not happened. One other note it does have 2" wheel spacers that is the reason I am thinking about the wheel stops in to maybe not let the wheels turn so far. If anyone has any suggestions or other ideas I am all ears.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I think you got about everything covered,I do know since your spaced out 2'' on each side that will put excess strain on your tie rods and rack,I think what your doing should take care of it.your buddy dont like his 700.keep us posted.mike I have not heard much at all about anybody having rack problems,but the mounting plate, I have heard a few issues.me and another member on here run trail armor steering stabilizers and it has a plate that goes between the mounting plate and the rack and the shock hooks there and the other end hooks to the outer tie rod end does a great job for the wheel jerking around.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
hummm ... I should have some issues then , when I got the Rocker Uber tires on the first run I nailed a submerged rock that was totally covered in silt dust and cut the bead with the rim , was doing probably 50+ when it happened ... that was well over 1500 miles ago [don't remember exactly] .. and since then have had several other "incidents" with potential break or bends . knock on wood I am still 100 percent factory stock with no known issues. BUT for sure I will be giving a preseason close inspection of the whole running gear. must be cause I carry a bunch of spares that I haven't had any problems LOL you know how it goes no prep and all kinds of problems, over kill prep and nothing happens :) . I do a prerun check before I hit the trail most every time and think that is the normal for many of us as 100 or more miles out and a break down isn't what a guy wants.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
De 3, thank you for your input, info and will keep you all posted on whats going on. My friend made the comment as he saw my steering plate bend with almost what seemed to be no effort, he is picking his up this week.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
one of the reasons for heavier than stock springs :)

my winch recovery gear bag alone weights over 60/70 lbs .. then add tools and spares :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts