Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hi to everybody at ProwlerTalk. I've been looking for a good place to get info and tips on modifying my 2010 Prowler XTX. Right now I'm needing info on front and rear spring rates for my XTX. I've got a cage and a high seat on the back and put some Eibach 350lb springs on it. They're a little on the stiff side and could use some advice on the best setup.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome to the site! Best members anywhere! I have an 09 XTX, and still running the stock shocks and springs. Not sure what stock spring rate is, but no where near 350! Trouble with the stiffer spring is that it really doesn't work until it is loaded. Just my opinion, I run the mid range pre-load on my Prowler, and use it mostly for trail riding. I looked at aftermarket shocks, and they took my breath away with the price. Several members have different set ups, and I'm sure they will share their knowledge. Stay in touch! East Texas is home to several members!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the fourm, I'm still running stock also but I know Mike has upgraded his [along with everything else:rolleyes:] I'm sure he can help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I ordered a pair of QA-1 275lb springs today and I'm gonna try to find some factory take-off shocks to put them on so I can have a spare set of softer spring/shock assemblies I can swap in if I feel like it.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Sounds like a plan! Where did you order the QA-1 springs from, and what size are they? Thanks

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Sounds like a plan! Where did you order the QA-1 springs from, and what size are they? Thanks
good place to get the springs is Summit Racing , not a bad $$ there

I have 350# springs on the rear and the stock rear springs on the front ... BUT I tend to have a bunch of gear along and I have a rear "cage" semi permanently mounted [run it all the time now but can remove it easily ]

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I want to look at some with a progressive rate, had them on the drag car and really liked them!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
just wanted to say hi to everybody at prowlertalk. I've been looking for a good place to get info and tips on modifying my 2010 prowler xtx. Right now i'm needing info on front and rear spring rates for my xtx. I've got a cage and a high seat on the back and put some eibach 350lb springs on it. They're a little on the stiff side and could use some advice on the best setup.
welcome to the best prowler site,are they stiff when you have passengers in the back.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I run king shocks 200 lb in the rear and 150 lb in the front and that is with very little pre-load cranked down,but mine is only a 2 seat buggy..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The QA-1 springs were a good bit cheaper than the Eibachs. They were only $37 a piece at Summit. When I put the Eibach 350# springs on, they were a little long and made them hard as hell to compress. My factory springs measured 13" while off of the shocks-so I ordered 12" QA-1 275# 2.5" i.d. springs. I had to fab some plates for the top and bottom of the larger springs and they added around 3/8" to the overall height of each spring, so I think the 12" springs should work. The stock springs went to crap pretty quick on mine, so anything should be an improvement. The front of mine is a little mushy, and I was wondering how factory rear springs on the front affected the ride. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
helps get back to "advertised" ride height and if a loaded [weight] rig works well

·
Registered
227 Posts
Welcome to Prowler Talk.

This is a Great Place for Answers. New here myself and the Guys and Gals are The best!! :) Gary H. I am Most Positive you will find some tips that will work for You!!:) Later. Have fun building!!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
The QA-1 springs were a good bit cheaper than the Eibachs. They were only $37 a piece at Summit. When I put the Eibach 350# springs on, they were a little long and made them hard as hell to compress. My factory springs measured 13" while off of the shocks-so I ordered 12" QA-1 275# 2.5" i.d. springs. I had to fab some plates for the top and bottom of the larger springs and they added around 3/8" to the overall height of each spring, so I think the 12" springs should work. The stock springs went to crap pretty quick on mine, so anything should be an improvement. The front of mine is a little mushy, and I was wondering how factory rear springs on the front affected the ride. Any ideas?
YEA I BELIEVE GTroyer HAS THE REAR SPRINGS IN THE FRONT.Sounds like it might work out great where was your spring hitting at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice. I'll probably give them a try up front when my QA-1 springs come in and let y'all know how she drives. BTW, I snapped a cv joint the other day and opted for aftermarket over stock. I went with a company out of Cali called Sixity. I don't know if anyone here has ever used them, but it looked like an improvement over stock. Plus, $118 is a hell of a lot better than $260! I'll let everyone know if it's a piece of crap or a good deal.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Nice. I'll probably give them a try up front when my QA-1 springs come in and let y'all know how she drives. BTW, I snapped a cv joint the other day and opted for aftermarket over stock. I went with a company out of Cali called Sixity. I don't know if anyone here has ever used them, but it looked like an improvement over stock. Plus, $118 is a hell of a lot better than $260! I'll let everyone know if it's a piece of crap or a good deal.
YEA THAT'S A GREAT PRICE,WHICH ONE DID YOU SNAP FRONT OR REAR.:eek:

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Sixity!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was the right rear that broke. Not real sure- possibly the 320lb and 260lb guys that were riding in back on the bench seat while I tried to drive the right side tires out of a skidder rut about 2 1/2 feet deep. It had some serious wear but the way that thing shattered, I'm gonna say a little shock load might've occurred at that moment. What's crazy is the splines on the 2010 axle are smaller than the 2009 and down. Seems counterproductive to me to weaken components. I'm sure they had their reasons for that move.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
With the 2010 XTX, you have the turf saver rear end, it was used on 2008,09, and 2010 XTX's only. Many owners have reported failures on the turf saver, it is a limited slip rear end. I have one in mine, and I'm at the 5,000 mile mark and it is still working like new. If you change the rear differential lube, make sure it has the friction modifier lube that is required, failure to do so will harm the clutch pack in the rear end. I change my gear lube twice a year, and I think it has helped. Arctic Cat has a lube for the turf saver rear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've only got about 500 miles on my 2010 and have never serviced the front or rear diff. Might not be a bad idea to go ahead and take care of that-thanks for the info. Turfsaver diff don't save a lot of turf with Mudlite radials. When I swapped in the new axle I checked the fluid in the rear diff and it still looked and smelled nice and clean-but I don't put mine in a lot of deep water like I used to to with my 2006 Prowler. Although, the preventative maintenance is probably a good move-I think the boss(wife) wants this one to last a while before I get the bug again.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
My 2009 XTX was my first exposure to ORV's, I used to drag race, and street race until I bought my Prowler. Changed hobby will quick! My XTX will be my one, and only UTV, I really like the Prowler, and have made to many modifications to ever consider getting rid of it! My wife made that very clear, and she also loves to ride!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts