Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI EVERYONE! New member jag from WV. 2012 xtz1000 Took a years worth of social security checks to buy this toy for myself. I was 63 12/26/13 the xtz 1000 will be 1 on 12/29/13. I think I am in a lot better shape than my toy! The xtz has 310 miles I have 310,000 something wrong with this picture! I sure could use some help trying to figure this thing out. 3 new batteries, 2 rear seals,1 new electric power steering unit. 1 new voltage regulator,wireing harness, cross threaded lug nut, multiable warning codes all the time--P0635, EFI, ERROR and I just noticed the paint starting to bubble up on the roll bar near the tail light. Rust already? Its kept in a heated garage when its not in the shop getting looked at!!! NOT FIXED! I WANNA RIDE any help will be greatly appreciated. THANKS jag

·
Registered
432 Posts
HI EVERYONE! New member jag from WV. 2012 xtz1000 Took a years worth of social security checks to buy this toy for myself. I was 63 12/26/13 the xtz 1000 will be 1 on 12/29/13. I think I am in a lot better shape than my toy! The xtz has 310 miles I have 310,000 something wrong with this picture! I sure could use some help trying to figure this thing out. 3 new batteries, 2 rear seals,1 new electric power steering unit. 1 new voltage regulator,wireing harness, cross threaded lug nut, multiable warning codes all the time--P0635, EFI, ERROR and I just noticed the paint starting to bubble up on the roll bar near the tail light. Rust already? Its kept in a heated garage when its not in the shop getting looked at!!! NOT FIXED! I WANNA RIDE any help will be greatly appreciated. THANKS jag
Welcome to the forum from Ky! Why do you have three batteries, I'm not familiar with the XTZ 1000.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

As far as batteries if the dealer isn't prepping them right they will not last.
The rust seems to come fairly quick but it's usually minor and easy to touch up
Not sure of the trails you ride but from other forums I'm on the WV trails tend to be hard on machines (all brands)

If you do a search you'll find a code chart to tell you what your codes are

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like your electrical system has been fried! Do you use a battery charger?, Has it overcharged at any time? 3 batteries, and a wiring harness in a years time, not good! The bubbled paint near the tail light, could it be burned? Just a thought, but the wire to the tail light is light gauge, and is in the roll bar in that area.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
welcome

welcome aboard,sorry to here about your problems so soon.Iam also from WVA where in wva are you from hopefully your dealer is taking care of you. I agree your electric system is messed up.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
welcome to the house ..

you sure there isn't a wildfire near you or a long deep ravine that might suck the rig in LOL

assuming it's fully insured ..... now I'm not saying :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Tbird; The reason for three batteries is because the dealership I purchased the xtz Prowler from is a Honda/Mazda auto dealership and started selling Arctic Cats on the side. I think it was easier for the guy that worked on it every time I brought it in to just replace the battery than to try and figure out why it would discharge while I was running it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Triple J W V trails tend to be hard on men and machines but only if you let them! Thats what makes it fun. The sad thing is that my Prowler has only been on one real trail ride and it left me hanging 34 miles from my truck and trailer. It just stop running-battery compleatly discharged. A nice fellow with a brand new CAN AM Commander 800 gave me a tow to civilation where I left it in someones yard then gave me a ride all the way to my truck-glad he was around! The rest of the miles put on around the farm. That way I won't have to walk as far to get home. I took it to a real Arctic Cat dealer and they figured out the problem-faulty voltage regulator and bad wire in the harness. I didn't buy it from them but they were more than happy to help me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi de3 I am about 60 miles east of you,between Salem and Clarksburg 3 miles off RT50. The guys at Leesons Import Motors in Bridgeport have been working hard to fix this machine for me and I really appreciate it. I have a 2002 Honda Rubicon 500 with over 5000 miles on it,use it around the farm and for play.Been through the Rocky Mountains elk hunting 5 times with it and still has the origional battery--go figure. You have heard the saying that when you got good one you really got a good one! And when you get a bad one--WELL YOU KNOW.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi de3 I am about 60 miles east of you,between Salem and Clarksburg 3 miles off RT50. The guys at Leesons Import Motors in Bridgeport have been working hard to fix this machine for me and I really appreciate it. I have a 2002 Honda Rubicon 500 with over 5000 miles on it,use it around the farm and for play.Been through the Rocky Mountains elk hunting 5 times with it and still has the origional battery--go figure. You have heard the saying that when you got good one you really got a good one! And when you get a bad one--WELL YOU KNOW.
Does the state have a "lemon law"? You may have gotten a bad one. How long have you had it? Would they swap you for another new XTZ?

I just reread your original post and realize that you put down the year 13 instead of 12. I thought you had just bought it. Doubt if any lemon law would be in effect after a year though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi GTroyer. No it's not fully insured but now you got me thinking!!! MY WIFE IS and she needs to learn to run this thing! I think as soon as I get it out of the shop she will get a quick driving lesson! God I hope she does'nt see this, its her computer. My computer self destructed -I think the same person that built my AC also built my PC

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
thats where mine come from back in 06,is that who you are dealing with now,or did you buy it at leesons,your not far at all from me.i bought mine in parkersburg and they dealer traded leesons for it.leesons looks to be a good size articcat dealer.hope they get your problems fixed,have not had any major problems with mine only 1500 miles.I know what you mean about the honda i have 3 of them 1986 350 forman,2005 350 rancher,2007 680 rincon,love all three.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No W V does not have a lemon law on atv or utv. I told the selling dealer when it was only couple months old and already having too many problems I wanted my money back. He said no-he didn't build it Arctic Cat built it and they are responsible for it. I contacted Arctic Cat and they were aware of my problems and informed me that when Arctic Cat delivered that machine to I79 Honda/Mazda and they paid for it on delivery it then belonged to them, I would have to deal with them! AND THATS THE HONEST TO GOD TRUTH No one wants to take responsibility so I guess I may be stuck with it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
No W V does not have a lemon law on atv or utv. I told the selling dealer when it was only couple months old and already having too many problems I wanted my money back. He said no-he didn't build it Arctic Cat built it and they are responsible for it. I contacted Arctic Cat and they were aware of my problems and informed me that when Arctic Cat delivered that machine to I79 Honda/Mazda and they paid for it on delivery it then belonged to them, I would have to deal with them! AND THATS THE HONEST TO GOD TRUTH No one wants to take responsibility so I guess I may be stuck with it.
Pretty said when a company doesn't take pride in their own product...:( Way to go AC....:mad:

·
Registered
432 Posts
you got any friends that are attorneys? complain acat to better business bureau. Does the dealer have a franchise or "just selling them"? I would be quite upset:mad:, not quiet upset. Squeaky wheel sometimes gets the grease if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Fairmont79 You are right! The electrical was defective causing the batteries to discharge while running the Prowler. Leesons found that problem and fixed it. AC cant explane why the P0635 (EPS warning code) keeps flashing on the dash-so I asked Judi at AC (my own personal rep. with direct number to her desk) WOW!!! if I should ignore it and run the thing? She didn't fall for that one. Judi said she would have to talk to a TEC and get back with me. When she called back she asked if I had the electric power steering replaced because it may be defective? I told her its been that way since the thing was brought home new,that was my first complaint. Ten months later she decides to replace the steering unit for me at no charge because she wants me to enjoy my Prowler the way Arctic Cat intended their customers to enjoy their products.(BS) The EPS unit cost $1999.99 plus $96.00 labor. I thanked Judi and told her it was nice of her to do that for me. She said she is doing this because she likes me. The second day home with the new unit the P0635 code came up on the dash. I documented it with a picture, time, and date. The next day and 4 miles later the whole dash went crazy (P0635,ERROR,EFI) the speedometer needle bouncing back and forth. I told Judi of the problem and she said take it in to Leesons and I told her I am tired of this. I contacted the Attorney Generals Office for consumers protection. Judi told me she wished she had never tried to help me I have not heard from her or AC since. All I wanted was my money's worth!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
jag, I'm really sorry to hear about all your trouble! Guys I gotta say I do love my Prowler... BUT.. I'm hearing more and more about AC not standing behind their products. I have a buddy the purchased an XTZ back in May. His 1st trail ride the rear end went out because a seal opened up and he lost all his fluid. He dropped it off at the same shop that I go to and according to them AC said they would not replace it because "it showed signs of unnecessary stress". WTF?? I starting to wonder if when I'm ready for my next machine if I need to start looking at other brands. This is getting ridiculous the way they are doing people!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
hey jag,is that honda/mazda dealership a articcat dealer,i know where thats at i didnt think it was a articcat dealership,i would say articcat thinks since they sold it to them its not there responsibilty to take care of the problems.is there any warranty left on it.as far as iam concerned its honda/mazda responsibilty to get it fixed.or futher more articcat should step up to the plate and fix it.i believe the standard warranty is 6 months.you got a lemon,i know a few guys thats got 2012 xtz and no problems at all.what problems are you having now.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Does Acat monitor the forums, maybe they need to after reading a couple of issues on here. I don't understand why they are so wishy-washy on problems with their Cats, just hurt them in the long run.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts