Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Prowler 650 xt... The speedo comes on for about 2 seconds and flashes volt after that. I have checked the battery and it is about 12.2v off and 14.4v when running. The odd thing is that if I turn to the accessory position and immediately turn on the high beams that speedo will remain on and won't flash volt but as soon as I start up the machine it goes right back to volt. I have also check the accessory fuses and all are good. I have yet to take off the dash and check the connection on the back of the dash pod but that is coming next. Any insight on what is going on and what furthermore I need to check.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
welcome to the site

welcome aboard,lots of great members.does it keep flashing after the motor is running,and how old is the battery.:)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to the site! I just went through the same thing with my prowler it would flash volt on startup so I replaced my battery with a sealed gel cell and I haven't had the problem since. Sometimes when you're testing the batteries you can get a false reading, a worn out battery will sometimes show good numbers but cranking amps might be lacking. Just my 2 cents, I'm no expert but thats what the battery guy told me... hope this helps Does this make any sense guys?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Welcome to the site! I just went through the same thing with my prowler it would flash volt on startup so I replaced my battery with a sealed gel cell and I haven't had the problem since. Sometimes when you're testing the batteries you can get a false reading, a worn out battery will sometimes show good numbers but cranking amps might be lacking. Just my 2 cents, I'm no expert but thats what the battery guy told me... hope this helps Does this make any sense guys?
correct, sometimes a battery will read good and have a bad cell .i let mine set a week the other day and turned the lights for just a few seconds,the next day i went to start it and soon as i turned key on the volt come up.let prowler run for a little bit shut it off,then turned key back on and it was fine.I would say your battery is right on the limit of triggering your volt gauge.

·
Registered
432 Posts
correct, sometimes a battery will read good and have a bad cell .i let mine set a week the other day and turned the lights for just a few seconds,the next day i went to start it and soon as i turned key on the volt come up.let prowler run for a little bit shut it off,then turned key back on and it was fine.I would say your battery is right on the limit of triggering your volt gauge.
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a battery to me as well. Take the battery to local parts store that has a battery load tester. That will tell you if it is weak or has any dead cells in it. By the way, what type of bulbs do you have in your headlights. The wrong bulbs may contribute to this by drawing more energy than stock ones would. Keep us posted on your outcome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, The glad to be aboard.... Dont know how old the battery is but I am going to get a new this old.... Should I go with the yuasa high performance or the Odyssey 680

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet but intend on putting a winch and few extra lights along on with maybe a radio and speakers

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
from what i have found out on here if your gonna run extra lights go with leds.and i have heard from some of the other members if you go with dual hids in place of your stock headlights you wont need other lights.halegen lights take a lot of watts to run,and your charging system is good for only 325 watts at 3000 plus rpms.I believe it takes over 100 watts to just run the prowler.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Purchased a odyssey 680 from amazon waiting for it to come in, took off the dash and cleaned the wireharness with dielectric cleaner and still getting same response. I will let yall know what comes from changing the battery out.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Would running some jumper cables to a good car battery at least be a good test in the meantime while you are waiting for your new battery? See if the "volt" goes away?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will try that as soon as I get home and let you know what comes out of it. Is there any other idea's if this doesn't work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just put a brand new odyssey 680 and still getting the same volt flashing on dash pod....all new fuses..... Any other ideas

·
Registered
618 Posts
Time to test the voltage regulator, should be a procedure in the service manual

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks I have already had the service manual as well as the diagram manual printed off from that exact website... I am unfortunate to say that the volts are about 12.6 off and about 14.4 or so I don't think its the regulator. That is the what the service manual says to do. Any more ideas?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts