Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. just acquired a prowler xt 650 h1. machine has a binding? clanking noise in engine when trying to move in either direction, reverse seems worse. seems to be internal. any suggestions on possible causes?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Welcome to the site Dave, you'll find many members on here have a wealth of knowledge. If you could also fill out your signature and tell us where your from it would be easier and faster to assist you in the future. de3 "mike" will be on a some point today and has a lot of knowledge on the 650 units. I'm sure he may have an idea.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
as above WELCOME to the house.

X2 about others with vast knowledge with singles

·
Administrator
7,254 Posts
Welcome Dave! Great Site, Great people, Not sure about the 650, but bevel gears come to mind! DE3, or Outwest will have a better handle on your question.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
My 100% guess would be the bevel gears,how many miles and do you know the history of the prowler...................

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Does it make the noise when you rev it up in neutral? If it does, then I would think "maybe" your one way bearing. If it doesn't, and only makes the noise when the engine is in gear and moving then I would say you very likely have a broken bevel gear.

A broken bevel gear can be seen in my photo album. When I was troubleshooting mine I put the rear on jack stands and drove it in gear. You could hear a loud clank and physically see the motor jump/jolt when it made the clanking noise. If you are getting this clank and binding while only in gear, then I would say it is most likely your bevels. Be very careful and don't continue with it like this. If you continue like this you have a very good chance of cracking your case if you haven't already.

If you need input on repairing/rebuilding the motor, let me know and I'll help as much as I can. Broken bevels will require complete tear down of the motor, but it actually isn't that bad of a job. Not worth paying the dealer IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the site Dave I'm sure these guys can get up up and running.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Does it roll freely in neutral with the engine running, how about not running.

·
Administrator
7,254 Posts
Good to see that knowledge is still available! Take care Triple J.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it make the noise when you rev it up in neutral? If it does, then I would think "maybe" your one way bearing. If it doesn't, and only makes the noise when the engine is in gear and moving then I would say you very likely have a broken bevel gear.

A broken bevel gear can be seen in my photo album. When I was troubleshooting mine I put the rear on jack stands and drove it in gear. You could hear a loud clank and physically see the motor jump/jolt when it made the clanking noise. If you are getting this clank and binding while only in gear, then I would say it is most likely your bevels. Be very careful and don't continue with it like this. If you continue like this you have a very good chance of cracking your case if you haven't already.

If you need input on repairing/rebuilding the motor, let me know and I'll help as much as I can. Broken bevels will require complete tear down of the motor, but it actually isn't that bad of a job. Not worth paying the dealer IMO.
thanks. we will be tearing it down. anything special i should be aware of?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
thanks. we will be tearing it down. anything special i should be aware of?
I would go a head and re-place the oil pump driven gear they have a up-dated part for that now. the earlier one's had trouble with the teeth shearing off.......................keep us up-dated a member on here named outwest has did the bevel gear up-grade.:)

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I would go a head and re-place the oil pump driven gear they have a up-dated part for that now. the earlier one's had trouble with the teeth shearing off.......................keep us up-dated a member on here named outwest has did the bevel gear up-grade.:)
X2 on that driven gear make sure you check it, this is what mine looked like....No Teeth :eek:
2013-03-05 13.37.19.jpg

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Have you tried revving it up in neutral and seeing if it makes the noise? The results will likely tell you if it is your bevel gears or not.

The bevel gears will not rotate while in neutral. So if it still makes the noise revving in neutral, then it is something else causing the problem.

And yes please change out your oil pump driven gear regardless of what you find out. If it is your bevels, I will find you the part# information that I've posted before for everything you will want to buy.

·
Administrator
7,254 Posts
You are in good hands Dave! Outwest is the engine man!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This provides some pretty good info. bevel gears

0822-122------Qty.1 --------KIT, REAR SECONDARY-H1
0830-084---Qty.1 --------- GASKET, BASE
0830-085 ---Qty.1--------GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD
0412-338 ---Qty.1-------GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE
0830-128 ---Qty.1---------GASKET, MAGNETO COVER
0830-116 ---Qty.1---------GASKET, COVER-CLUTCH
0830-174 ---Qty.1---------GASKET, V-BELT COVER
0832-077---Qty.1---------- BEARING, OUTPUT SHAFT

I would also replace the oil pump driven gear and your two driven shaft seals.

Oil pump driven gear = 0812-083
Seal, Oil - Driven Shaft = 0830-043 x2

Make sure your secondary driven shaft isn't bent, and also make sure your case isn't cracked. Mine had a hairline crack in it. You can see in my photo album where to look. My driven shaft was also bent. Just a couple things for you to check while you are in there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts